Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I heard on one these sports shows in Brazil that Tite is really thinking about going with Neymar as the "false 9". What do you all think about it ? It's what I've been predicting about Tite being in a conundrum with the emergence of our wingers ... where does Neymar fit ? I personally don't like it but not having a prolific striker might force his hand in implementing this formation. I am guessing we will see this setup tested again in these two friendlies.

Ombak repped this.
  2. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Neymar isn't and shouldn't be an unquestionable starter IMO. Raphinha and Vinicius are more hardworking than Neymar is in the wide role.

I am not against the false 9 but I don't think it the best role for Neymar either. I think he would do well behind a striker but then what do you do with Paqueta.

brasileiragem and Ombak repped this.
  3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Similar to the post-Copa América qualifying, the line-up is "easier" to choose because some players are missing. With Vini Jr. on the bench because of the CL final, Paquetá can take the spot on the left and Neymar can play behind Richarlison (and all 3 of those can comfortably move around those spaces), while Raphinha takes his normal right-wing spot.

The Japan line-up will be more revealing, but I do think this 4-4-2/4-2-4 hybrid with Paquetá (or even Coutinho) on the left is a realistic option we could see at least once in the WC.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pato still thinks he can play a Copa in the future.

"Ainda acredito que posso ir para a Copa Do Mundo. Veja jogadores como Thiago Silva e Daniel Alves. Eles ainda estão bem, com 37 anos e 39 anos."

This is part of a whole statement he made that is a mea culpa on how his career ended up. He doesn't spell it out, but basically says he wanted to enjoy life. Probably a bit late for him, specially since his problem was not only lack of commitment, but also a list of injuries.

Ombak repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar got stepped on his foot in training and is a doubt for the South Korea game . Like he is a magnet for injuries .

Ombak repped this.
  8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They're saying it will be a game time decision, but they're also treating it very cautiously, to the point where it would be a surprise to see him start after everything they've said. No structural damage but there is concern because of all the previous metatarsal damage.

If he doesn't start, it sounds like we'll have Coutinho or Vini Jr on the left and Paquetá will move to the middle.

The other update is that Casemiro is going to start.

So the line-up won't be set until game time and right now looks like:

Weverton;
    Dani Alves, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro;
    Casemiro, Fred, Paquetá;
    Raphinha, Richarlison, Coutinho (Vini Jr.)

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ombak repped this.
  11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So, June window is over for us. The other teams thread will be busy for another week or two, but the seleção is off now until probably August 24 or 31 for the next convocação.

The matches will be between September 19 and 27. For now it's Brazil x Argentina and a possible Brazil x Mexico or similar opponent. But the match vs. Argentina will still go through appeals with FIFA and maybe even CAS.

Personally I hope it's canceled, except that, if it is we probably get a weaker opponent for the second friendly. I can live with that though.

So, what do I think we'll see in the September call-up?
    • Veríssimo, Danilo and Antony back
    • One or two different names up front, Martinelli dropped
    • 2 or 3 extra forwards and maybe 1 extra mid to make it 26
    I don't expect a 3rd left-back this time, and I think Arana will be the back up to Alex Sandro. I always say we should have 3 full-backs on each side, 5 CD and a few more mids and forwards, but Tite doesn't do that and chances are the 26 called up will be a preview of the World Cup squad.

Predicted squad:

GK: Alisson, Éderson, Wéverton
    RB: Danilo, Dani Alves
    LB: Alex Sandro, Arana
    CD: Éder Militão, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Veríssimo
    CM: Bruno Guimarães, Casemiro, Fabinho, Fred
    AM: Coutinho, Paquetá
    FW: Neymar, Vini Jr., Richarlison, Matheus Cunha, Antony, Raphinha, Gabriel Jesus, Rodrygo

That's 25... pick your own 26th player. Firmino? A new forward? An additional mid?

I expect the line-ups will be intended to figure out who starts in our group matches, especially the first two, and will depend on the scouting that Tite's team is doing in person at the Nations League.

I would like to see one match with a different midfield, but clearly he is focused on the 4 up front as the keys to change how we can unlock opponents.

brasileiragem repped this.
  13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A couple of good articles following the Asian friendlies we played:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ecorte-da-selecao-a-seis-meses-do-catar.ghtml
    • Neymar was fouled by Japan more than the whole team (including Neymar) was fouled by Korea.
    • Tite pleased with Arana
    • Video highlighting Brazil chances creating by pressing and forcing turnovers
    https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ocados-e-tem-disputas-abertas-para-copa.ghtml
    • 21 out of 27 players called up saw playing time
    • Team bonding was one of the big pluses from this concentração
    • Breakdown of who still has a chance at each position

brasileiragem repped this.
  14. Beer and Footy

Beer and Footy New Member

Liverpool FC
    Canada
    Jul 31, 2020
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here is the recording of the conversation about Brazil and how the roster might shape up. https://www.buzzsprout.com/1966892/10682113

Write up here, lots of moving parts but here is the ideal starting XI

Vini Jr.------Neymar-------Raphinha
    ----Lucas Paqueta------Fred
    -------------Casemiro-------------
    Alex Sandro------------Danilo
    ---Marquinhos---Thiago Silva
    ------------Alisson---------------

Ombak repped this.
  15. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Who could be coach for NT after WC 2022??? Any good brazil coaches in mind? Or how are the chances that they go with a foreign coach?

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The 2022 World Cup's timing also played a role in this decision, as players will be in mid-season form.

Tite will now have 3 extra players he can bring. Given he's done a good job of renovating the team post-2018, he'll have a pleasant headache come the final call-up. I speculate Vini Jr., after what he did at the CL, will be in, barring a very bad slump once the northern hemisphere's autumn is well underway.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Radar da seleção is of course a little bit slow right now as the only ongoing competition for a few weeks has been the Brasileirão.

This week will see Copa do Brasil quarter-finals and some of the match-ups will be quite intense (notably São Paulo x Palmeiras and Flamengo x Atlético Mineiro).

Next week will be Libertadores Rd of 16 matches. More opportunities for players to be noticed in important matches.

Tite attended today's Corinthians match and will attend tomorrow's Palmeiras match.

But recently, selecionáveis in the Brasileirão have been rather subdued. Gabi and Hulk are hardly scoring (and forget Pedro), Palmeiras is playing well but no standouts among potential call-ups (Veiga is recovering from injury). Arana has probably been the most consistent performer.

I would not be surprised to see only Weverton and Arana called up from Brazil in September, unless Tite has a specific player in mind regardless of performances. The one thing to keep in mind about Arana is that when the World Cup comes around, he will be at the end of a 60 - 70 match season.

Other than matches in Brasileirão, CdB and Libertadores, the next two weeks might see some movement on the transfer market. Keep an eye on https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/brazilian-transfer-news-and-rumors-2022.2121020/ for potential news about a lot of our forwards.

celito repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #319 celito, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Interesting that with Atletico x Flamengo game on, Tite chose to go watch Corinthians x Goias. I can only imagine it wasn't scouting related. And there is a CdB matchup between Atletico and Flamengo on Wed.

EDIT: Last sentence meant to say ... there is a CdB matchup between both clubs, so if he wants to observe any player, he can attend that game. If he doesn't attend that game, that may not bode well for some of the players in those 2 clubs fighting for a WC spot.

Ombak repped this.
  20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tite and César Sampaio on Podpah:

Very transparent conversation. I've only just begun watching, but I'll add some clips about seleção procedure when they are released too.

celito repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What I took from it:

1 - Dani Alves confirmed on the list.
    2 - Ref from Belgium in 2018 confessed to GJ he made a mistake and it was a PK (it was).
    3 - Liverpool was tracking Rodrygo when he was playing futsal at 12.
    4 - Poor Cesar Sampaio surrounded by so many Gambas.
    5 - O Abel incomoda muita gente.

Honestly not a lot to take from this.

On a side note, everybody has a podcast nowadays. Not talking about these guys specifically because they were early in the game, but so many former players/artists etc ... have a podcast and you have to wonder how saturated that market already is.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I enjoyed it. Certainly didn't include anything new seleção-wise, but added more substance to some of the recent conversations they had.

You're right about podcasts, it seems the podcast industry and the podcast clips industry in Brazil are both in overdrive right now. Especially saturated in the sports market.

Rodrygo was on podpah last week and I went looking for a specific clip for a quote, and there were other podcasts he had been on and countless channels with official clips and just harvesting clips of the shows.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    September's Brazil x Argentina match is officially scheduled for São Paulo:

A couple of things to note:
    • CBF is still trying to move the match, but they had to set an official location this week.
    • CBF and AFA still have appeals pending iirc.
    • If the match has to go ahead in São Paulo, CBF will try to schedule a second match in Brazil, but that has the added problem of convincing another team to travel.
    • CBF would like to play on the 22nd in Europe and play a second match against an African team
    • If AFA is successful in canceling the match, then CBF will need to schedule an opponent for the 22nd as well.
    The September window could be a mess depending on the timing of all of the above and whether CBF can get an opponent (or two) in short order.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't FIFA say the match had to be on neutral ground ?

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thinking back on Tite’s interview , it’s interesting that he said it was not ethical to let players o is they were doing well and on their radar before a first call up buy had told Alves that if he is physically in good shape , he will be in the group . I think he let that one slip through the cracks .