2020-2021 England Referee Appointments (EPL+) [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019

Sorry this is my last post on this, I just thought it was a topic of interest.

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I am watching Leicester v. Aston Villa on the “wonderful” Peacock streaming service. Jonathan Moss continues his claim to the bottom spot. It’s hard to put into words, actually. Just mystifying use of his cards, poor foul recognition, and allowing Jack Grealish to be hacked repeatedly.

3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I watched Mustoe and Howard this morning. Both were IMHO hypocritical. They both said it was wrong and refs in general shouldn’t be touched and Howard in particular said that in today’s environment the female angle makes it worse. Then they both said nothing should happen.

Her initial body language to me looked like she was taken aback and it appeared that he actually squeezed her. It also looked like she made a hand motion to the CR to say let it go. IMHO that was the right way to handle it on the field. Let the FA deal with it and I suspect they will.

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
  5. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Unfortunately not available in Canada.

6. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Not quite the same but.....:eek:

LampLighter and frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm seeing some Liverpool fans on other sites saying that Pickford went out to intentionally hurt Van Dijk. I don't see that at all. It was the fifth minute of a local derby where Everton knows they have a big leg up in the early title race if they win. Pickford sees a breakaway and rushes out to stop it. No chance at all in my mind he's going out to hurt VVD, but his actions are textbook SFP. This is no different than the player who has a very heavy first touch and nails a player mid-shin with a locked leg while trying to get the ball back. In my opinion, there is no intent to injure, but that doesn't matter. The challenge endangers VVD's safety (regardless of the unfortunate final result).

Now, this play absolutely should have been a red card. Whether you call it SFP or VC in the game report (absent any other information, I'm going SFP since Pickford makes his play assuming the ball is still in play), it should still be sanctioned as a send-off. But as others have mentioned, the combination of standard English thresholds for misconduct and general preference toward goalkeepers (another exhibit - Neuer cleaning out Higuain in the 2014 World Cup final) led us to this situation.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world, these are the three things I'd like to see regarding confrontations with officials.
    • As you implied, any contact with an official outside of a pure accident during the course of normal play (i.e. a sliding challenge on the sideline that collects an AR or the referee and a player just coming together) is a minimum yellow card.
    • Only the captain may address the referee. Absent that, any player coming in after the first player on a team to argue gets a caution. This one is similar to the "third man in" rule in hockey.
    So in the Aguero-Massey-Ellis situation, this would be an automatic caution. That takes the onus off of the officiating crew to try and understand intent, etc. As I watched the play, my initial reaction was that Aguero was trying to keep SME close enough to have her hear him out. It still shouldn't have happened, but I didn't personally see it as threatening or overly manipulative.

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Quite an unusual technique to rush out, very unnatural, rash and far removed from the booklets. Everyone who has been a (good) goalkeeper himself acknowledges this.

Imagine a goalkeeper doing the same when the shooter is faced straight towards goal in the middle. That would make it more obvious.

Whether it is intentional or not... Many professionals just don't care if they're not checked, with matches prone to escalate.

10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree one bit, which is why I used the analogy of trying to win the ball back after a heavy touch. It's a very similar situation. The "fog of war" (to use rufusabc's term) got to Pickford in this case. He was overzealous and did what he did. The issue is that when other goalkeepers see a play like this where the keeper isn't sanctioned, it just gives them more boldness to protect their goal at all costs.

As I stated in a different post, the only two special items for keepers in the Laws are they wear a different shirt color and can use their hands/arms legally in their own penalty area. However, the reality is different. I've called penalties against keepers twice this season, and each time parents and players acted like the world ended. In one case, even after I explained that the keeper contacted the attacker at the knee with her hands and forearms, the coach was still incredulous. I'm a former keeper, so I get the issues facing them. However, keepers still need a foul/misconduct threshold consistent with other players.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    :thumbsup: I know this is opening a can of worms: but I wonder what the retro-active action would be if this was against England captain Harry Kane, or against the Neymars of this world.

Possibly the likes of Pickford then think twice in the first place, before doing a 'scissor move' elevated off the ground (rather than rushing against Diaby, Eduardo, Ramsey etc.).

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you're opening up a can of worms. I just think you're trying to launch a debate on a premise that others aren't going to agree with our recognize as plausible.

There's no anti-Dutch conspiracy here. There is widespread outrage over Van Dijk's injury. It would be the same if it was Salah. Or De Bruyne. Or Fernandes. Or, yes, Kane. We're talking about one of the most international leagues in the world with international stars who are huge financial assets. The idea that there would be retroactive punishment if the victim was Kane but not Van Dijk seems grounded in a type of thinking that went by the wayside somewhere around 1995.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'm not suggesting an 'anti-conspiracy' at all, I am suggesting a 'pro-bias' as hypothesis. Or pro conspiracy if you like.

The nowadays esteemed journalist Miguel Delaney thinks the outrage in the Ramsey and Eduardo incidents was higher (both more than a decade ago, btw, professions can learn). Presumably because of the visible effect, but they were 'lesser' players.

It hasn't entirely disappeared - that much is certain.

Not when it comes down to the referee committees, not when it comes to the assignment of referees either. Tribes and countries still matter.

14. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    balu and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are off on a tangent that I admittedly helped take us on, but, yes, I would say the visual effects have a ton to do with any perceived or real differences in media coverage. Van Dijk walked off on his own power. Ramsey most certainly did not and I don't think Eduardo did either.

Also, I've seen arguments elsewhere that the media is over-covering this because of pro-Liverpool biases. And even a few saying the same thing but with the justification being it's Pickford, who is already under the media microscope for performance. So, like with almost everything in life, arguments over media bias and attention can come and go in lots of different directions.

16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stipulating it's a short video, but baffling how it seems nobody reacts as if it's a 2CT when the second one gets shown. No activity from the attackers. Not even a hint of leaving the field from the player in question. No hung heads or reaction from her teammates. And, obviously, no intervention from the officiating teammates. Would love to see a long clip but this seems very strange.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #293 PuckVanHeel, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
  19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For what's worth and for the record: my perception is the media (The Times, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph etc.) have indeed a lot about what this means for Liverpool as main headline, but with the Pickford perpetrator only as a side issue, and not the main angle of the coverage. He isn't receiving the hackjob Suarez et al. received by the media. But fair enough, each to his own, I know countries where this ends up in a criminal court...

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    You're posting the same comment twice.

Fair enough about deleting a copyrighted article but what's your take about how the FA is fudging this? Whether the VAR reviewed it - which grants Pickford impunity - or not.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...gil-van-dijk-set-to-miss-the-season-8rxlwqcgg

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird. I wasn't even online when the second one posted. Some sort of glitch in the matrix.

I think the issue here is that the EPL isn't fudging this. They fudge everything like this and it's pretty consistent. I said to a referee friend by halftime of the match that this is what would happen when he suggested Pickford would still get banned, so it was entirely predictable. Standard operating procedure for the FA has been to not take retroactive action if an incident was seen and acted upon by the officiating team. As I have said from the beginning here, the fact that the offside decision was reviewed means either the VAR or Oliver had a penalty as the correct result should the offside have been incorrect. That inherently means that the officiating team saw the tackle and was prepared to act upon it.

The problem--if you follow all that--is that Oliver obviously wasn't going to sanction it with a red card. When it's written that Coote "didn't review it for a red card," it's not like he didn't see the tackle occur. Essentially, he either took the same position as Oliver (deeming it not to be a red card) OR he felt that he was not allowed to review it for a red card (which would be far more scandalous and much more unlikely, but you never know how poorly VARs in England seem to have been trained).

Long story short, Oliver saw the tackle and didn't punish it. Coote saw the tackle and either didn't think it should be punished or didn't think he was allowed to recommend it being punished. When we say Coote didn't "review it," we mean he didn't do an official check for a red card, which is bad, but you can't equate that with "Coote didn't see it." So you're left with a "referee team saw the incident and declined to take action" situation, which we've seen time and time and time again in England this century. Absolutely nothing new.

Thezzaruz and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks for the explanation, but it seems to me, and I'm possibly wrong, that they can fudge this to the direction they like. Additionally, they can always make exceptions.

In order for The FA to take retrospective action it must first establish from the match officials whether the incident was ‘not seen’. If they confirm they did see it then in almost all cases no further action is taken. There are extraordinary exceptions, such as in the case involving Ben Thatcher [Manchester City versus Portsmouth in 2006].
    https://help.thefa.com/support/solu...ge-a-player-for-an-incident-not-seen-by-the-m

With subsequent texts like this in 2013, after some previous leg breaks, for widening the scope (I'll post the link and not the text):
    https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/fa-gets-tough-on-bad-fouls

Don't get me wrong though: I don't want to compare a torn ligament with breathing down an oxygen mask (is this about the consequence or about the action itself?), but it does seem to me there is leeway, with at various points since 2006 them loosening the leeway and range - on paper at least.

Since they continue to get big assignments by default, it perhaps shows aforementioned considerations haven't quite left the building "in 1995"...

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't follow what your argument is here. My allusion to 1995 was in response to the argument you presented about people caring more if this was Kane and not Van Dijk. In other words, the thinking that the powers that be cared about and would protect domestic assets more readily than foreign ones.

English VARs being bad is new. That started last year.

English authorities using the "referee saw it so we can't act" has been around since the early 2000s, which was my point in the most recent post. Your research, which alludes to an exception being made in 2006, helps support that assertion.

24. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I thought this commentary from Rebecca Lowe was spot on.

jasonakramer and LampLighter repped this.
  25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The argument is here tribal and country based assignments for referees, VAR referees, and committees (naturally) still happen, regardless of competence or merit.

The natural knock-on effect is - to a limited and circumscribed degree - tribal officiating, on the pitch and behind the green table. The leeway in the 'green table' rules is there.

The evidence for 'green table' decisions don't exist, but for referees their on field decisions it clearly does: Own-nationality bias: evidence from UEFA Champions League
    http://econweb.umd.edu/~pope/soccer_paper.pdf
    (I might as well post five other papers, covering each a different aspect or competition of own nationality bias)

It supports that it isn't an iron rule, and after some high profile leg breaks several years after 2006 (Ramsey etc.), they've put the door wider open for further exceptions, on paper at least. They might as well use that.