2019-2020 UEFA Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed this the first time because I agreed with your post so much that I only skimmed parts of it.

Just chiming in to say that Mario Van der Ende was the referee in question. And he was elite. He was very, very good. The Dutch made the semifinals in that tournament and Ajax had been very good in the mid 90s, so the opportunities for him to get matches was somewhat limited. He did do 3 matches at WC 94, including one in the knockout stages.

After him, yes, the well went dry in the Netherlands for well over a decade (Wegereef had a really tough match in 2002 and Vink was probably the last referee selected for 2008). But Van der Ende was very strong for the Netherlands for the majority of the 1990s.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Until Kuipers came along there were a lot of very average CRs. Vink was not very good in the league matches I watched just after the 2008 Euros. All of the sudden there are a lot of very good CRs. It's kind of like quality football players coming along in cycles.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Don't forget Dick Jol, who did three matches (including a knockout match) at EURO 2000 and the UCL 2001 Final, as well as the Club World Championship Final in 2000.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew I forgot someone!

Honestly, I never thought he was that good and was always surprised to see his name appear on big matches. But, of course, that is just my personal opinion.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Going back further Netherlands had some top guys. Leo Horn was one of the best in his time, Corver did the Germany/France semi-final in 1982 and Kaiser worked the 1984 Olympic Final in LA.
    So it just depends on the individual, and no generalities can be made.
    A lot also depends on political influences and certain other factors.

PH

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'll keep it short and blunt: why do all sorts of average Spanish referees get major matches? The whole world knows officiating is not a strong point of the Spanish league.

Example: Velasco Carballo was kept on the short-list at the 2014 World Cup (he belonged to the last 4-8 referees in the competition), was a candidate for the final, despite clearly not doing a great/good job at the Brazil vs Colombia match. Which even the Spanish wikipedia duly notes
    https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Velasco_Carballo

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'll concede that my knowledge of the upper echelon of UEFA refereeing only goes back to the year 2000. I just did quick a wikipedia look up of all the major tournaments starting from '98 World Cup and seeing what UEFA referees were there and if they did any knockout matches.

To say that Wegereef had a tough match is an understatement!

Check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_A

Uruguay vs. Senegal. He had 12 cautions! In any other World Cup that match would have been probably the lead officiating story, but so many incidents and games happened in that World Cup that it gets pushed to the back burner. It wasn't even the match with the most cautions shown in that World Cup!

Needless to say, that was his only match at that World Cup.

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Always check the composition of the FIFA and UEFA Referees' Committees, and especially the Chairman.
    Quite often the reason is right there. Not only for the Spanish referees. It has been like this for many years.

PH

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grinfeld had, to the best of my memory, the softest 2CT I've ever seen in European competition:

https://streamable.com/4d1r1
    https://streamable.com/lbabx

Both are defensible cards, I guess. But the first one is a 2 v 5 at best and a minimal contact foul. I just don't see the need in a 5-1 match that had minimum physicality to begin with and I truly don't think it stopped a "promising" attack. The second one is more technically correct, but even still, if the Atalanta player doesn't slip after kicking the ball, he's probably not even calling the foul--nevermind showing a second caution.

His two penalty decisions were spot on. But the decision-making here definitely stuck out at me as someone who is probably not ready for the biggest stage. If these decisions were made in a very competitive match, he'd have been in a lot of trouble. And, if he's willing to make these in a lopsided match, I can only surmise he would have done the same in a much more competitive one.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of VAR intervention on this play also caught my eye: https://streamable.com/v9kqz

I think that's 100% given in MLS and a lot of other domestic competitions.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, that match between those teams on matchday 3 with progression on the line was always going to be a nightmare. It says something about him that he was given the "honor" of doing it in the first place. Remember there were 35 referees back then, so most only got one group stage match--and he got a big one. The fact that he didn't get a knockout match might have had something to do with him, but it also could have had a lot to do with the fact that FIFA was spreading assignments around for political reasons until they shut that down after the QFs.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't so much that he gave a lot of cards, but I think he made one crucial mistake (a penalty that wasn't a penalty? or maybe a penalty that should have been DOGSO?).

I'm actually interested in going back to watch that match. It was a clash of styles with all on the line and in an era where referees were encouraged to card misconduct. It might be eye-opening to view a match like that from today's perspective.

RedStar91 repped this.
  13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the recent trends of the last two world cups, it's hard to imagine two yellows against one team in the first four minutes.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find the full match on YouTube, but I remember it being enthralling.

I did however, find the "mistake" pretty easily. The first penalty in 19' (the first highlight here) was a stone-cold DOGSO red that he went yellow on. I guess he was just 15 years ahead of his time.

Of course, it was also probably a dive. So that was a problem, too:

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I needed to keep watching! His AR also allowed a goal that was offside.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. I'll just watch the whole video first next time.

Check out the final penalty.

THAT is why he didn't work again. Yikes.

EDIT to quote myself here:

The answer as "both."

17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I don't know the formal referee terminology for this, so forgive me, but Wegereef himself said later he sanctioned the way the defender made the challenge. You don't have to hit an attacker to commit a foul. On the first one he said it should have been a red card (but me was thinking: so often referees are reluctant to red card defenders or keepers early in the game; the difference of Lehmann 2006 vs Thiago Silva 2014).

He was not a popular referee in his own country. Van de Ende was popular, Blankenstein was cult and popular too.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine even I was sympathetic to his argument on the last penalty back in 2002. But I've since learned, at the professional level, that can't be a foul. The attacker is cheating.

He missed a red card, his AR allowed an offside goal and he gave a phantom penalty. No one can survive that, even if he managed the overall match well (and, if I recall correctly, I think he did).

19. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I will say the decision to award the goal over the line by the AR was excellent even if the attacker was offside.

To spot that is pretty impressive and in a World Cup with some scandalously bad offside goals that disallowed perfectly good goals to allow a goal that was offside by maybe a half yard is not bad for me.

See this (I still think the worst offside decision I've ever seen at the professional level):

It's pretty ironic that about 8 years later a practically similar decision (Lampard's non-goal against Germany in South Africa with a Uruguayan crew) paved the way for goal line technology).

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing on camera will ever beat the third place match in WC90. At least not for a major international.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    No one talked about the Watford - Bournemouth game led by Mike Dean, or the Granada - Betis match with Mateu Lahoz in charge. What a surprising weekend :D

23. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    #523 El Rayo Californiano, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    With regard to Mateu Lahoz, are you referring to the incident at 0:27? Advantage one way, advantage the other way, goal.

Editing to add a second video which embeds here. From 1:26.

24. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Some fun at the end of the Sevilla vs Atlético Madrid match today (from 3:54). Atlético wanted a handball, I wanted dangerous play just for the indirect free kick restart, the referee called a foul against Atlético and awarded a direct free kick to Sevilla. VAR reviewed and let the referee's decision stand.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Really hard to tell what happens there.
    They stop they replay just as it would show what happened.

If the hand hits the ball, it happens before any danger. - pk handling

If it doesn't hit hand, the next question is did the ball cross the line?

If the ball crossed the line, even after the two kicks, goal as there is no danger yet.

If it did not cross line, IFK for Atlético.

Calling a foul against Atlético is total nonsense.