Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1214584044522000386 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Very underwhelming move, IMO.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Eighteen Alpha, TxEx, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabbi’s move is underwhelming relative to the rumors, but I’d assume he’ll have a good shot to play at OB. In a bigger league, I’m just not sure he wouldn’t get lost in the shuffle.

Hobro is the biggest loser here. No fee.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm sorry. Sabbi's move is underwhelming because Sabbi is underwhelming.

He's a 22 year old that scored 6 goals in 1400 minutes for a bad Danish team this year. What were people expecting?

He moved one rung up the ladder in Denmark. If he improves and performs at a higher level there, then perhaps the sexier move will come. We'll see.

We've had Americans at Odense before. Even deep cuts like Matt Jordan and Conor O'Brien.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Another underwhelming player.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saucedo went of with an injury in the 56th minute (I did not see what happened though he walked of the field gingerly under his own power).

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Suarez went the distance for Queretaro in a 2020 Clausura opening 3-1 road loss to Club Leon.

Looks like he was playing in central midfield (#19). Suarez played the loose ball that Leon pick up in the midfield and to draw the penalty that led to the third goal.

In the full highlights he chips a ball in at 2:04 leading to a chance and cuts out a pass at 3:10 which leads to another Queretaro opportunity.

During the 2019 Apertura, he made a 13 minute substitute appearance in the league, had 3 starts in the Copa MX, and scored 2 goals in 7 starts with the Queretaro U-20s.

Antonio Nava
    is with Queretaro now, and was an unused sub for the 2020 Clausura opener this weekend.

During the 2019 Apertura with Club Tijuana, Nava made 1 substitute appearance in the league playing 23 minutes, had 4 starts in the Copa MX, and scored 2 goals in 21 starts with the Club Tijuana U-20s. The Club Tijuana U-20s fell 2-1 on aggregate in the 2019 Apertura U-20 final.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It'll be interesting to see where de la Torre goes. I don't know what fee Fulham could possibly hope to get right now since they've done nothing to increase his value. By the way, he's been at Fulham since 2013. 10 career first team appearances. 1 goal (in the Carabao Cup).
    1217472009296400384 is not a valid tweet id

largegarlic, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And Djurgardens, based on T'Markt data, doesn't seem to pay transfer fees much bigger than the mid-six figures, and that rarely. But I guess you gotta ask.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I just remember Djurgardens for Gale Agbossoumonde :)

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sub MLS league, sub MLS wages. Why would he go there?

15. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'd guess it's still easier to move from a Scandinavian league to a better Euro league if he does well than it is to move from MLS back to Europe. But yeah, he'd probably get paid more and get more of a look with the USMNT if he came back to MLS.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He can get playing time and a short term deal. He might be able to get the former in MLS, but not the latter. If he comes back to MLS that is it as it will be a long deal with club only options at the salary he can command now. Why not go to Sweden, play for a year, build up a scouting tape, then see if he can move back up the ladder? Probably what he is thinking.

In other words, if Sweden doesn't work he can always go to MLS. If MLS works, he won't be able to capitalize on it.

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he would go to a lower level MLS team and leave Europe with little chances of going back as more scouts look at smaller european countries for soon to be 23 year olds than the MLS

DHC1 repped this.
  18. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Not even sure de la Torre would command much of anything in MLS either.

MLS is at a point where you need a pedigree that is at least a heavy role player in the English or German 2nd Division to expect MLS to pay anything for you as a player.

Some recent comps:

Keaton Parks had 4 appearances with Porto and 2 seasons in LigaPro and came to NYCFC on a loan deal and broke through half way through the season.

Jerome Kiesewetter had 21 appearances in B2 and had to sign with USL although he performed well and signed a deal for not a lot of money with Inter Miami.

Josh Perez played in 22 games for Livorno (Series C) and was signed by LAFC for a near minimum salary and is back of the bench type player who has been loaned down to USL at times.

Moving to Sweden is likely the best move to target playing time and scouting time, but if it doesn't work then USL is probably the next landing spot not MLS. He could likely sign somewhere in MLS, but teams won't be scrambling to sign him or offering lots of money.

TimB4Last repped this.
  19. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS in my opinion is above the 2 Bundesliga at this point. The league still has a long way to go but it is getting better. The only second division that is better in my opinion is the Championship and we're gaining on that league. This big thing that MLS has as a positive is that the level is relatively even between the majority of the teams unlike in Europe where every league has 2-4 super teams and then the rest are MLS level or lower with exception of the obvious super power leagues where the average team would eat an MLS team for breakfast.

don Lamb repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Big picture aside, he turns 22 this year and needs first-team games wherever he can get them. Presumably the list of interested teams, while perhaps substantial, is not infinite. With that said, the obvious choice is Hobro. ;)

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd also say there isn't a long history of MLS bending over backwards for young players like de la Torre returning to the states with their tail between their legs.

I'd say there'd be interest in MLS for de la Torre, but they're going to lowball him on the salary. Maybe Josh Perez is a good comparison. He was on $75k last season. Basically what a 3rd round draft pick like Tristan Blackmon made at the same club.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Agreed. Substitute MLS with B2/Championship and I don't see either of them having much interest in a guy who failed at even Malmo, Hammarsby or Djurgården. If he plays decently well at Djurgården and wants to come home, there should be some interest as that would be comparable to good MLS teams IMO but not if he can't get time there.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If Hyndman gets a huge contract and Zelalem gets signed. why wouldn't DLT find a team in MLS?

Patrick167 repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hyndman did have to (kind of?) prove it as a loanee before getting that contract, right?