Tokyo 2020 Olympic Referees & Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Apr 22, 2021.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’m arguing it should have been, just what I think he might have been thinking.

that’s also not the only caution on a PK that has surprised me in the last week or two (though I can’t think of the specific examples). I hope we aren’t drifting back to cautions to sell PKs.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the WoSo Forum, I mused whether the long delay hurts the PK taker, like a golfer who stands over their putt too long.

Actually got a reply from a professional golfer!

Thanks for the analysis of the Morgan offside. Some of us remember a US goal being allowed to stand at the '19 World Cup. It was, for some of us, our first time encountering that interpretation of the offside rule. (It struck me then and it strikes me now as as being completely against the spirit of the offside rule)

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you say "revolutionary"? Comrade, others have been sent to the gulags (and worse) for even more minor failures to adhere to Party doctrine than this. You must recant these errors before the next Party Congress or risk being brought before the Committee for the Expurgation of Counterrevolutionary Tendencies.

(tee-hee!)
    :)

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t find you funny.

ArgylleRef and davidjd repped this.
  5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no sense of satire, Comrade.
    Or you think I'm being malicious when I'm being good-natured.
    I like all you guys no matter what you think of me.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your second two sentences have nothing to do with my statement.

And I like good satire. As I said, I don’t find you funny. I just thought you should know, since I appear to be part of your target audience.

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a direct reference to how this guy thinks all refs circle the wagons to blindly support other refs. You’ll have to go back to the NWSL thread for the exact references.

It’s why he’s on my ignore list. Unfortunately, I know mods can’t ignore like us mere mortal posters can. :)

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think it's so surprising that people in groups can bicker among each other but tend to circle the wagons when criticized by outsiders? It's fairly normal group behavior, no? It's interesting here because most of the time the refs in this forum make a fine effort to inform and enlighten ("educate") the non-referees. But there are times when a certain defensiveness gets in the way of it. That's natural, too, I suppose and I'll refrain more and more from testing those limits now that I've established it's there and I can't do much about it.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    you simply don’t get it at all, which is why you’re on my ignore list, too. (I only saw this chain because I thought @MassachusettsRef was responding to me about everything and was quite confused.)

The “circling the wagons” is in your head, not on this board. When you bring uneducated opinions, it’s not “circling the wagons”—it’s simply that you’re often completely wrong and not even raising interesting issues. While I guess the current political era seems to support the idea that it’s ok to have opinions contrary to facts, many of us actually look to what is correct. Anyone who wants to be a good ref has to do that. Instead of trolling here, if you really want to understand reffing, go take a class and get on the field to understand it. You can do it for club or schools and get paid, or your local AYSO is always looking for more volunteers to fill it’s games.

and yes, you’ll stay on my ignore list as I just don’t find you bring anything relevant or meaningful to the discussions here.

RefIADad repped this.
  10. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (this is a carry over comment from an MLS thread where this conversation was on going).
    The Israeli referee Grinfeld (sp?) had a double touch on a free kick. It was in the 83rd minute (82:20 or so) in Korea vs. Mexico mens QF. Korea was losing by 3, Grinfeld hadn't actually pointed the direction of the foul (although it was obvious). The Korean player just tapped the ball to himself, then dribbled away. I think he was bugged at the foul call and wanted to play on? Who knows. But Grinfeld wisely didn't go IFK the other way. He stopped play, and shrugged at the Korean, and made him bring it back. Now, one could make the argument that the ball never rested, so it was not a valid restart anyway, but that is not what it looked like to me. It looked like the Korean stopped it, and then just dribbled away. That would be an example of a common sense "re-do" a-la what Kelley did with Nani a few weeks ago. Just thought I'd point it out :)

dadman and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone want to take the Over on 544 posts for this game?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/olympic-sf-usa-canada-r.1970995/

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I skimmed for nostalgia's sake. I had vaguely remembered that I felt there was a lot more going on in that match and, well, there was. Lloyd getting her head stepped deliberately probably being the top issue other than the IFK call. Apparently I felt Wambach could have been sent off and that several(?) cards to Canadians just weren't produced.

14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Yes, this part is correct. The Norwegian referee, Christina Pedersen, only produced two YCs to Canada (and none to the US), if I remember correctly, the second one being for a really persistent dissent. She never had a high-profile match since, suffering the same fate as Australia's Jacqui Melksham after the US - Brazil game at WWC 2011. After that it seems FIFA has been more careful to put well-established referees on this type of games...

kolabear repped this.
  15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thankfully they have Alves Basista for the gold medal game. But having this growing collection of referees who are established in their top level mens league is a huge help.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think she's a guarantee? And is she good enough to warrant "thankfully?" I've just haven't ever been impressed when I've seen her, but in this tournament that only means highlights of Japan-Canada.

Frappart getting the Gold Medal match after the WWC Final might be a bridge too far, but Pustovoitova is sitting right there without a knockout match, too.

Though, as I look at it and think about how FIFA works, there hasn't been a single CONMEBOL referee on the knockout matches, so... you're probably right.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I'd want Frappart on a Sweden/US or Sweden/Canada match, but I think we've built quite the case for confed neutrality on this thread. Maybe it will be broken.

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Don't forget the host referee Yamashita too. She could slot into whichever match doesn't involve Australia.

I haven't been following this tournament, so don't know the performances, but some really interesting assignments. A CAF referee on a knockout match is quite something. Must be the first in a very long time in a major women's tournament (if ever)?

Also, anyone knows why Umpierrez is not at this tournament?

kolabear repped this.
  19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really watch her closely, but I heard some pretty good things about how she did. Although from the sound it her ARs might be her weakness going forward.

balu repped this.
  20. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confed neutrality seemed to have been broken on two games involving Great Britain. Against Japan (Pustovoitova) and against Canada (Monzul)
    But maybe Great Britain doesn't count?!
    Good point to remember Yamashita.
    I think CAF said something on Twitter about it being a first. For almost two days that was the only assignment I was able to find for the quarterfinals

balu repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. But I'm not sure if Brazil-Zambia, her MD3 assignment, screams "let's get her one final test and save her for the final." Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely possible. And I'm operating from a very low level of information re: performances in this particular tournament.

But with no CONMEBOL referees so far, Alves Batista's assignments this tournament, Brazil's elmination, and her resume having a WC semifinal in it... yeah, I think @code1390 has it right. Unless her performances were considered subpar, it does look like it's her match.

balu repped this.
  22. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I don't want to attack you personally @code1390 because I appreciate your comments a lot, but I totally disagree with you here. :D

Alves Batista is really not very good IMO - her only asset is her fitness. I have no idea why FIFA rewarded her with the marquee game of WWC 2019 after a simply poor performance in Italy vs. China, and she wasn't good in that SF either.

Her CWC performance was excruciatingly bad - only because it was a fifth place playoff and the players sense of being in a historic occasion with a female referee did the match not go seriously south indeed.

But I agree with you guys - she probably has the final. :)

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #223 kolabear, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Well if performances are the measure, the choice of Melissa Borjas (Honduras) for the Sweden/Australia semifinal is... interesting. I'm not passing judgment, but ->
    And I agree with @Mikael_Referee on Edina Alves Batista. I could be wrong but I recall she officiated two matches with China and thought she wasn't firm enough and too reluctant to use cards. My generous and completely non-expert take on her is that she's generally a good ref in the women's game except when faced with the (thankfully rare) cynical and negative and borderline dirty teams, like China was in 2019.

24. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I didn't watch her games at this tournament (I just cut those scenes that someone else noted from CHNZAM), but Borjas is a very good referee.

kolabear repped this.
  25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Well, there weren't many other choices, right? She couldn't do group E with Japan, and already did the marquee match in group G in the first matchday (US - Sweden).

But yes, all factors taken into consideration, I agree that Alves Batista is probably the favorite.

kolabear and Mikael_Referee repped this.