The San Jose Earthquakes Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, May 12, 2022.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to sound negative at all about the youth movement for the US... the talent pool is pretty impressive IMO. But I am still blown away that we don't have more players on the cusp w/ elite pace. Cowell indeed does have a lot to learn but he is one of the few prospects I can think of that can just flat out blow past players. I am a huge fan of elite pace in footballers and wish we had more guys coming up w/ blazing speed. It seems like every other up-and-coming prospect for Canada has that trait. I would take our youth movement over theirs for sure but I wish we had more elite athletes.

twoolley repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We do, but most of them are more under the radar right now because MLS clubs don’t rate that part of the game as much as other areas. They’d rather sign average players who are moderately technical than a player whose game is almost entirely about speed.

I’m with you on this though. I’ll take a player who can run past anyone over a well rounded player who isn’t that good and has no calling card that can beat defenders at higher levels.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  3. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Tsakiris's last game of the season continued to feature absurd on-ball numbers ... 9 progressive passes, 8 progressive carries, 4 shot-creating actions, 5 passes into the final third. He's had three remarkable games in a row; I'd put him as one of the top pure prospects in MLS.

Boysinblue, twoolley and gogorath repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Paredes and Reynolds.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Someone will buy him in August.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Paredes lacks elite pace.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. Ramsin Ziazadeh

Ramsin Ziazadeh New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    Brazil
    Oct 9, 2022

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have argued with you when he was playing with DC United.... but now that I see him playing in the BL it doesn't look like he has the ability to run past most outside backs. I think he is pretty quick but not elite.... and given his thin frame I think that takes away from his ceiling.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He played a lot of wingback (not fullback) for DC United. Thats a position I think can disguise the pure pace of a player going forward, especially one like Paredes that is going to come inside and isn't looking to only run the line and put in crosses. When you play wingback and come in-field, you are usually playing with a lot of space, and there are usually not situations where you are put in situations where your acceleration is tested.

As a winger, you have more limited space most of the time. It's a position that tests acceleration a lot more. Paredes is a good player, but I think his inability to beat a pure 1v1 clean by running by them is an impediment to his game. I'm very unsure about his best position. I think he'll have success in Europe and be a USMNT player, but the main question about his game is what position thats at or if he's destined to have a career where he plays a bunch of positions and no one is sure what his best position is. I think he's best as a RW, but I'm open to the idea that it's as a LB/LWB. The issue with him as a LB/LWB is that he's played almost no LB in his pro (or youth) career, so that position requires a defensive transition. LWB is more of a vanity position. Only exists with a back 3. Good to have the ability to play it (and he does), but it can't be a player's primary position.

11. itscalvin

itscalvin Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Mar 31, 2022
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this kid is the best of the unsigned prospects currently in the academy.

6’3, moves well for his size, elite good ball skills for his size/position, very good playmaker for a CF, and a pretty good goal scorer.

Peretz48, xbhaskarx, itscalvin and 2 others repped this.
  13. itscalvin

itscalvin Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Mar 31, 2022
    One thing we could use is a backup forward behind Jebo assuming Kikanovic is staying on the left wing with Cade. Gives us another option there.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thread on the Quakes board from October 4, 2014... so 8 years 2 months 1 week ago:

MLS success on a limited budget, could FC Dallas U25s beat the Quakes, and hiring a new coach

"There is already an alternative pathway to success from that of the Galaxy and Sounders for the Quakes to emulate should they wish to do so."
    Matt Doyle today:

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the Quakes are too hesitant to do that. They have the raw talent in their system for it, but aren't ready to let all of them develop the way we've seen with Dallas.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    These player development initiatives are VERY long term projects. San Jose has put a lot of resources into their youth programs going back at least a decade or so, which is when I heard about their youth scouting and sport science programs for youth.

It's awesome to see that they are getting some seriously big time players coming through. Add them to the list of markets that have been or are starting to cook when it comes to developing pros:

New York
    Dallas
    Los Angeles
    Philadelphia
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Washington, DC

Atlanta?
    Chicago?
    Miami?
    Boston?

Still a really long way to go in most of these places and many more will continue popping up, but the progress has been dramatic and relatively swift recently.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Glad to see he caught on somewhere as a pro at a young age instead of four years of college soccer. If he develops well the next few years, hopefully he gets a transfer to Europe. He could’ve helped San Jose, but they are too hesitant in signing young players.

jeff_adams repped this.
  21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The Quakes recently sold Marcos Lopez after acquiring him from Sporting on loan, I don’t recall if SC got a sell on percentage but it wouldn’t surprise me if Otoya is loaned to the Quakes in a few years (more polished professionally) and is developed up to transfer to Europe with both SJ and SC profiting from his sale. Luchi Gonzalez actually played there for a season so I bet they have some form of relationship.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn’t know that. Sounds like a great idea, if it all works out.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some decent talent on this list...

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  25. @GDD

@GDD New Member

Chelsea
    France
    Dec 9, 2022
    You can’t resist. He is the leading scorer on his team (not to mention assists and chances created for his teammates) and scored in every game at the MLSNEXT showcase - not many players in any age group can say that. One of the top scorers last year playing up. But don’t let objective facts stop you. You seem to have questionable criteria by which you have been promoting certain players. With him, it’s always “talented, but…”