Pre-match: The inevitable war with Iran

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Q*bert Jones III, Jun 21, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia, absolutely. And I would argue China at the current time due to the lifetime appointment of their dictator. But in the long run, China is just flexing their muscles in the name of business expansion, which means there won't be much in the way of combat. But the fear from the US of global re-alignment means they are a threat to World peace. :rolleyes:

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I find it curious that 1% believes that the US is the US’s top ally.

3. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That image title manages to bury the lede of the opening and only sentence <sigh>

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a bunching in the middle there with Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa that should have a lot of people worried. Mexico, too. I would be interested in how the Central American countries respond to this question.

chaski repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think one side is better than the other, everyone has an agenda but it's the US doing most of the killing and destabilization today - that's just fact.

Russia and China have US troops and based surrounding them from all fronts. How would the US react if Chinese or Russian troops had bases in Canada and Mexico with warships near their waters?

Action - reaction

You talk of China being a threat due to the appointment of their "dictator" as you claim but helping the Saudis "royal" family commit genocide while burning people for witchcraft while enabling the assassination of dissidentson foreign soil - "Game of Thrones" style should be more reassuring.

I beg to differ.

More people are seeing it as time advanced - Good

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't know why I ended up bolding what I did. Gave a meaning to the post which was not intended.

My point about Russia is that they are continually aggressive and they primarily use their aggression via military might. They did make their presence known back when they cut the gas to Europe, but otherwise they have worked via military (see Ukraine).

1 - You only mentioned Russia and China, so I responded. If you want to use Saudi Arabia, you need to throw in our blind eye towards India as well.
    2 - Shock among shocks, I have not see GoT, so that reference doesn't mean much to me.
    3 - But China is a destabilizer of the current world order. I don't have an issue with this, fundamentally, as long as they buck the historical trend and resist using military force to enlarge their economic empire. I say force rather than might. Action rather than presence.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an honest question. How long until this thread is shut down or renamed? If we always promise a forthcoming war with Iran and no war ever happens...

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Define "aggressive".

America has been just as ruthless if not more in their use of economic sanctions to bend other nations to their will - let's no get started with the inhuman sanctions against Cuba or resorting to piracy against Iran and Venezuela.

Russia viewed the 2014 revolution in Ukraine as a coup perpetrated by the west (they aren't the only one seeing it that way) and took Crimea to protect itsinteret (which was mainly pro Russian).

America never did such things whenever its interest were compromised? America never reacted when a government they didn't like took over?

This is simply a double standard narrative. Understandable but this doesn't make China and Russia any bigger threat to world peace than the US.

Destabilizer of the current world order or a threat to American domination?

Under a new world order, allegiances and diplomacy would drastically shift, as it always did in human history.

China and it's surrogate would be just as bad as the US in different ways, it's just that those who benefited the most from the current order wouldn't be as comfortable in the next one and might get a taste of their own medecine. Nations that were left behind might actually start to see some progress like Africa, Central and South America and parts of Asia and the Middle East.

That's how the world always worked and America won't be any different, their rule will end like every other empires before it.

9. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4% of South Koreans think North Korea is their closed ally.

wow!

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, the Iran Thread - Nature is healing itself

American Brummie repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It's been reported by Al Geezera that 2 ships loaded with plywood and 2 x 4's are being unloaded in the Straits of Hormoose. It's either gonna be a new state of the art aircraft carrier or some toboggans. In the event it's for the start of the rainy season they'll need a competent Arkitect. :coffee:

russ repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not sure if this is the best Iran thread for this, but I highly recommend this new podcast "544 days" about the imprisonment of a WAPO journo in the runup to the Iranian Nuke deal with the Obama admin

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/544-days/

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    time to bring back this thread -- unlike when it was started by someone else, I think its time for the two sides to duke it out. Enough innocent and defenseless people have been sacrificed. Get it over with.

20. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Duke it out?

Ma frend it would a stomping by USA.

I think saying Ukraine Russia is a NATO Russia proxy so many times made some think NATO is directly involved and that Russia is holding their own vs NATO.

Maybe the Middle East needs a refresher on the main reason they hate US in the first place.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Stomp it out...

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Why all this annoying, protracted, commentary? Not enough "justification"? Get with it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-67811929
    Tanker hit off India coast by drone from Iran, says US
    14 minutes ago

https://thehill.com/policy/internat...ens-to-close-mediterranean-sea-amid-war-gaza/
    Iran threatens to close Mediterranean Sea citing US ‘crimes’ in Gaza

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-involved-red-sea-attacks-white-house-claim/
    White House accuses Iran of being "deeply involved" in Red Sea attacks on commercial ships
    DECEMBER 22, 2023

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-mi...ed-again-bringing-total-least-90-since-oct-17
    US military bases in Iraq, Syria attacked again, bringing total to at least 90 since Oct. 17
    The attacks have been claimed by an umbrella group of Iran-backed Iraqi militants dubbed the Islamic Resistance in Iraq

23. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    On October 7 there were many giddy people regarding what Hamas did.

You are doing the same for some reason. Again maybe you do not realize of the vast difference between EU NATO and the rest of the world when it comes to military power

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am not giddy about war. I have given up hope there is any other alternative. Those itching for war in the US et al have shown they cannot even be appeased. Get with it: I trust or hope that unlike the Israelis, your side will better focus on military as opposed to civilian targets.

The Israelis aren't winning against Hamas btw. They are destroying Gaza instead. And that must stop.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Are you sure those itching for a war are not the ones whose name starts with the first 4 letters of your user name?

How many civilians die is up to Iran. Iran is 1.65 million square km. The Iranian soldiers and gear can be placed many km away from any civilian building.

There is copium, there is delusion and there is whatever you just wrote