Site upgrade of 2017, part II - All is Not Lost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by soccernutter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    thirded. All the other dropdowns (including profile and conversations) work fine, but not alerts

blissett and sitruc repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Tested now in FF and Chrome. Same behavior in both.

Definitely a glitch for @Janet H and @Andy R to figure out.

blissett and soccernutter repped this.
  3. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the bread crumbs at the bottom of the page. It made getting back to the forum easy after reading a long list of posts. Now, I have to scroll back up to the top. Not terrible, but I miss it.

shelbo, JasonMa and sitruc repped this.
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there is that, but also that a completely read forum in the past was not highlighted like the other fora. You could tell there was a difference in which fora were completely read, or not, by if they were highlighted (unread threads, new posts) or were dimmer than the other fora (completely read - don't bother looking!)

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hence this follow-up, no?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/si...-all-is-not-lost.2042262/page-4#post-35270141

Winoman repped this.
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Happened to me also when I connected today, so definitely something went wrong on multiple devices/browsers (for recors, I am now using Chrome on a laptop).

It worked fine until yesterday: maybe, while trying to fox something else, something went wrong with this function.

I'll underline that, if you click, you're anyway brought to the "Alerts" page, at least, but it's obviously not the same as navigating the dropdown menu, as I always did in all these years on BF.

flowergirl and sitruc repped this.
  8. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this was covered here, but my issue is with the alerts. The first few days it was fine, if you clicked it it would bring up a little box and let you click on different threads just like the old site. Now, if I click it it always takes me to the page with the listing of alerts. I want the little box in the corner back. Can I do that?

Lol. Sorry. I should have read the last page. Add me to the list of alert problem people. Thanks.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And today it is not there when I arrived. Huh...

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/mls-clubs.197/

Maybe the ability to post/reply in this redundant "forum" can be turned off. Scroll below the tiles with the club names and you'll see what I mean.

Likewise, when I click "Forum List" on the left, the list needs to be sorted into something that makes sense.

soccernutter repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is saying anything about the mobile site, so I am just updating the PC version.

Below is the list of all issues from the previous thread. This post will only cover resolutions/updates which have been stated or I have noticed, and will show as a strike-through. Partial resolutions/request for further adjustments will be noted in blue.

Also, I noticed that the "click to expand..." on quoted text was given a blue box to make it stand out.

Does not appear to be resolved as I currently have a Politics thread and a Free For All (FFA) thread in trending.

Top issues which need to be resolved/addressed.
    1 - Navigation links at the bottom of the page
    2 - Details of unread threads in subforums (see post 234 in the previous thread)
    2a - Verify if this relates to Watched Forums
    3 - Reduce padding everywhere for flow (between posts, in sigs, deleted posts, reps).
    Edit: 4 - After looking at my quoted post, the text needs to be darker for readability purposes.

Thezzaruz and blissett repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I would rather everybody did it the way you did, posting then reading. It will give a better sense of what is important, but also knowledge if there is a fix.

And, yeah, I have this issue, too (the alerts).

flowergirl, sitruc and blissett repped this.
  13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No, it's not. But this is a very minor, low priority aesthetic tweak.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Dead Fingers - fits in with some of the other issues being reported.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's my exact list of priorities also: way to go, @soccernutter!

At the moment, I'd say "pending resolution", but well on its way, especially if the 3-4 problems above will be fixed.

Also, if you read this page, you'll notice a very annoying glitch with "Alerts" suddenty arose.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, get that. Was just doing a bit of cleanup...

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, this is not my personal list, but from all y'all, self-included.

Na, totally missed it. ;)

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, basically you answered that, while I was answering you... :p;)

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alert system not working as it used to. It shows when you have alerts but when you hover over it nothing happens. You have to click on it which takes you to your alert page to see them.

sitruc and soccernutter repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That was noticed already by multiple users, but Soccernutter likes repetitions :p:

I would add that maybe it's worth noting that the "Conversations" dropdown menu, although very similar and placed next to the "Alerts" one, is working perfectly fine.

Ismitje, soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Back on mobile...

Screenshot_20170326-104752.png Screenshot_20170326-104802.png Screenshot_20170326-104809.png

As you can see from the thumbnails you are scrolling two full pages before you start to see content. Even turning off the sticky navigation you are still scrolling two pages minimum. This forum only has two subforums and two sticky threads. The situation would be a lot worse on other parts of the site. This is before you even consider the situation inside a thread with signatures visible. This is with small text.

I know you are looking to resize the menu bar and condense features into it which is fine. Does the post new thread and add new video buttons need to be located there and both be full screen width instead of 50:50 and sharing a line? The advert size is just stupid for mobile. I should not be seeing them anyway but that is an aside. General spacing and padding has been discussed previously and needs a clear rework. The videos are unnecessary and if you insist on their inclusion you need to drastically reduce the size of them.

Winoman, sitruc and soccernutter repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The lack of show-alerts-on-hover is very bothersome.

I hope it can be solved soon.

23. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A minor thing I thought about (that might not even be related to the upgrade). The forums and sub-forums under the "on the pitch" heading all have an icon looking like a speaker. As that is a pretty much universal symbol for sound/speakers/the likes it seems odd to have it as an icon for forums. Surely there has to be better options available.

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came here to add to the chorus of voices noting that hovering over the "alerts" icon no longer shows new alerts -- does nothing instead.

blissett and sitruc repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like "volume" symbol to me. I'm wondering if there is a lack of icons available.