Site upgrade of 2017, part II - All is Not Lost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by soccernutter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned: when you get to the bottom of a thread, there used to be a bar that would let you click to go back to the main forum page. That bar is now only at the top of the page, so you have to scroll back to the top to return to the main forum page.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It has been, but it can't be said enough.

JayRockers!, Thezzaruz, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for these three.
    As Knave said, but also the additional concern is how sigs interrupt the flow. There are several sigs I like seeing, and some posters reference what they have in their sigs, so I do not want to turn them off. It might help some if the space between the posts was eliminated (which would also help flow).
    Thank you, though as I stated to Jay, this still needs some tweaking. Also, my concern about what might show up, unintentionally, could cause problems.
    At the moment, it seems to be something we have to do every visit. I would like a perma-disable option.

And you make the the bottom navigation breadcrumb a top priority?

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just pointing out that ...

This is still the case. The same things have been trending since the upgrades went into effect.

Is this like the 113 "trophy points" that each and every member has? I mean, I know of several threads that have had more activity than all the trending threads save the Trump one...

Thezzaruz repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The trending threads feature should die.

Preferably in the same fire as this shitty font.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, once I toggled the right column off the other morning, it's stayed off for me.

sitruc repped this.
  7. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    It hasn't been that way for me. As a matter of fact, since I use Chrome as a primary browser on every device I use, as soon as I login, it remembers my choice and doesn't display the right column, even if it's my first time on that device since the change was made.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Me too. On FF & Win10. Haven't experimented with other browsers.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any plan to make it obvious when looking at a forum list if there's new posts in the forum? For example, looking at the MLS: Clubs forum there appears to be no way to easily see if any of the team subforums have new posts since my list visit.

WarrenWallace, Winoman and blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's what I meant with my previous post. The most annoying current problem, in my book.

JasonMa and holden repped this.
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is the second time and the second context in which this came up. It's sort of on the list, but the language is not clear on this point.

Perhaps this is a better way to say it:

Most recent post details (thread name, poster) should be visible on all forum listings (including sub-forums and the watched forums page).

Does that cover it?

blissett and holden repped this.
  12. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Just tried to click on a couple of links in the P&CE forum and I got these errors:

The www.bigsoccer.com page isn’t working
    www.bigsoccer.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be too specific. I don't need to see what thread/poster is new, I just need to see that there's a new post in that forum.

In the old skin the sub-forum icon would be bright if there were new posts in the forum and dull if there weren't. Something like that (maybe a blue ball/bullet if there's new posts and a grey one if not) is all I'm looking for.

blissett repped this.
  14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think that's a separate issue, which I'm not sure is on the list (maybe I missed it), though it was brought up on the last thread.

Something like this, perhaps:

Highlight boards with new content/Dim boards without new content. (In other words, do for boards with new content what's already done for threads with new content.)

blissett and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Meanwhile, in answering that post above, I almost forgot why I can here in the first place.

At least on FF, the notification system doesn't seem to be working correctly. I'll get a notification, but when I hover on the alert, no list comes up.

Perhaps this is related to the 500 errors noted above. I have seen this occasionally with the old board, so I doubt it's truly related to the new design. And it might pass if it is related to those 500 errors.

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    hmmm, mine has stayed gone ever since I hit the button. (Chrome on Mac)

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for THOSE TWO ALONE!
    Hallelujah! Good luck.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Ideally it would be a preference setting, but I'm not sure if they have that kind of control over this software.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay...I did it yesterday, and then when bringing the side up (I have my BS password saved), I had to reinitialize the hide feature. :confused:

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been several fixes from the list on the first page, so I'll mid-thread update probably tomorrow.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same reason I came to the this thread just now. Hovering over the alerts flag icon no longer lists the latest alerts. I thought it might be just me or my browser, but apparently not.

blissett, JasonMa, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One new request (unless it's already been asked):

Make the magic green arrows at bottom right stay on the screen a bit longer. Now they're like 3secs, maybe they should be 5secs or more?

I find them a useful new feature, but also a little frustrating when they go away before I get to click them.

23. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I just need to know: Are the green up and down arrows on the right side going to be a permanent fixture or will that be removed? They're really irritating and I can't find a legitimate use for them.

blissett repped this.
  24. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I gotta learn to read the whole thread before posting.

You actually like these things? I scroll either with my mouse or by the scroll bar on the right side of the browser. I don't know of anywhere else this is used, so I'm not accustomed to it, and, frankly, I don't like it.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always a good idea. ;)
    I used to scroll up the same way as you, but the green arrows make it much easier, and so fast! Like an instant express train.

Edit: My only complaint is that I can't get them to appear as easily as I'd like, or stay as long as I need so as to be able to click them. I feel like an alternate, perhaps better method, would be if you hover your mouse over the bottom right corner, the green arrows would appear.

fatbastard repped this.