S50: Netherlands v. Sweden, 3 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

v.
    [​IMG]
    Sweden

All due respect to @Gilmoy, I need to start the threads going forward due to the nature of the conversation.

Y'all, please consider your tone in discussion, and that most of you are not regular visitors to this forum. Please lower your hostility and aggression (yes, I have seen it increase). But, I will note that this is largely surrounding officiating decisions. Please use this thread. Please take all ref discussions/opinions there.

And, as a reminder:
    Please read the the Mod Warning.

2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
  3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the record between these two teams the past 2-3 years?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There is none. They were supposed to play for the 2018 Algarve Cup final, but it was cancelled due to weather IIRC.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't played in 2018/2019 until now that I'm aware of.

In 2017, Netherlands beat Sweden 2-0 in the quarterfinals of the Euros. I don't know if they played any other matches that year.

kennytt and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Right, I forgot about the '3' part of '2-3' X-D

Before the Euro match, Netherlands also beat Sweden 1-0 at the 2017 Algarve in the group stage

MiLLeNNiuM and kolabear repped this.
  7. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I think both teams are extremely well balanced and well-matched and I'd love to see each win it. But if I had to drop hard-earned dollars I think Sweden has the X factor right now. And a number of wily veterans up the middle of the park back to front.

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the X factor, big break for Sweden: no Orange Parade before the match!
    The fanzone is too far away from the stadium for a parade.

9. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #9 JanBalk, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Netherlands beat Sweden 2-0 in the Euros Quarter-final in the Netherlands 29 July 2017
    Netherlands beat Sweden 1-0 in Algarve Cup 6 March 2017 (last group match)
    That all within 3 years.

Just outside that
    They tied 1-1 in qualification for the Olympics in the Netherlands 9 March 2016 ( with the end result that Sweden qualified and Netherland did not).

They also played a warm up before last WC in maj 2015 with a Swedish win 2-1. Nothing else more recent than 2012.

10. :mad:
    The Lyon authorities have banned the Orange march, due to safety concerns (attack on the crowd by terrorists) and the long distance (20 km) to be covered.

Given the midweek day, the 9 hours drive from the Netherlands, the flights and fast trains already full to capacity, the number of fans expected is around 3000, way below the 15000-20000 in Valenciennes.
    Lieke skips group training:
    [​IMG]
    Lieke Martens. © ANP
    Martens slaat groepstraining van Leeuwinnen over

kolabear and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    They banned the Swedish fans march for the same reason, a more modest affair they done since the US-game.

soccernutter, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Netherlands has had good success recently against Sweden but their northern neighbors are a tough foe because they have size, they are organized and because their style of play--sit back and then counter--has got more bite now with their speedy forwards. We will have to see whether Sweden wants to come out and play a bit in the middle of the field or site back and let the Dutch have the ball. If the Swedes choose to move out and play some, it will be the advantage of the Netherlands; if they sit back, per usual, it will be harder for the Dutch as it is hard for every good possession team that is playing a well-organized defensive opponent with numbers back. Set pieces will become crucial, as well taking advantage of any chance or half-chance that develops.

The Dutch will not want to be too aggressive with their outside backs--one of whom tends to hang back mostly anyway, and in this game I will be happy about that. The Netherlands midfield has been quite good in this tournament, and that is always a key. The first goal in the Germany-Sweden match turned out not to be as decisive as the first goal normally can be--but then who could have predicted that the German CBs would be so dire? In this match the first goal could be crucial: If the Dutch get it, the Swedes will have to come out and play more; if it's the Swedes, they will bunker and kick long balls the rest of the game. I'm a fan of the Dutch and so biased, but this is a team with a strong mentality that has won a lot of tournament games and generally steps up its game when it needs to (save for the last 20 minutes of the Japan match!). I don't expect it to be as entertaining as the England-USA match, in which you have two teams that will want to mix it up in the middle of the field, but it should be interesting.

13. The simple solution is just to deliver the ball into the box as if any ball we have is a set piece. So as soon as we get the ball half way the Swedish half on the side, just pump in the ball and make sure our headers are there.
    When we make it close to the back line my message is donot try to dribble into the box, but make the pass in it as fast as possible.
    If we do that in the first 30 minutes with 20+ crosses into the box, it's bound to go wrong for the Swedes.
    The plus of this approach it doesnot ask for pressing as the Swedes MO isnot keeping the ball in possession but when having it make a run. So concentrated control of the space from about half the Swedish part is essential.
    Van Veenendaal also has to adopt the Japan's goalie sweeper like style of coming out to kill passes through.

blissett repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1145626873549983745 is not a valid tweet id

CoachJon, L'orange, blissett and 5 others repped this.
  15. She bloody nicked my post:mad:
    upload_2019-7-3_1-28-54.png

16. xxxxxxxxNow is the time to shine
    xxxxxxOrange Lionesses hunt is on

[​IMG]

17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be rooting for the Oranje this match.

Kamtedrejt and blissett repped this.
  18. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Heja Sverige, but I just want a good game of football. And I want the winner of this game to beat the USWNT. By _any_ means necessary.

19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
  20. Luckily we've got a scout for Wiegman who's a Sweden expert.
    https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1421...-wachten?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic
    ’Spion’
    Met Renée Slegers heeft Oranje een ’spion’ in huis, een échte Zweden-kenner. De oud-international, in totaal kwam ze 55 keer uit voor Nederland, speelde jarenlang voor Linköpings FC en Djurgårdens IF. Sinds vorig jaar is ze hoofdtrainer van IF Limhamn Bunkeflo 07, dat uitkomt in de Damallsvenskan, het hoogste niveau in Zweden. Op dit WK fungeert ze als scout voor Wiegman.

'Spy'

With Renée Slegers, the Orange has a "spy", a true Swedish connoisseur. The former international, in total she played 55 times for the Netherlands, played for years for Linköpings FC and Djurgårdens IF. Since last year, she has been the head coach of IF Limhamn Bunkeflo 07, which is competing in Damallsvenskan, Sweden's highest level. At this World Championship she acts as a scout for Wiegman.

21. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hup Holland! Let's go Leeuwinnen!

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sadly, it won't happen. :( USA just dispatched teams #4 and #3 in the world on their way to the final. I am afraid they won't have any problem in getting rid of team #8 or #9. :unsure:

23. :D
    We're team #8 or #9, because we only consider the 3 big tournements as the ones to put in all guns firing. All other matches are used as practicing for non regular players, tactical excercises etc, which makes us lose enough matches to ge us a low number. We need those matches to experiment as in contrast to the men there's not that much opportunity to practice with other players without dropping in quality.
    So I hope, but given the Swedish coach is an admirer of Dutch football not very likely, the opponents look at that number and think "piece of cake".

jnielsen repped this.
  24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The team beating Germany always wins the World Cup... let’s see! :whistling:

MiLLeNNiuM and kolabear repped this.