RSL Player News/Rumor/Gossip Part IV

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that Donovan or Brandi Chastain?

2. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Whatever it is, it's deeply disturbing.

Actually it's a digital modification of both of them.

3. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Here's more disturbing shots of Princess Landy

[​IMG]

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Zidane's performance in the 2002 World Cup kind of sucked (along with France), so I don't think he played to his potential then.

5. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    IIRC, Zidane got injured in a friendly just before the World Cup and didn't play the first two games, which France lost. So yeah, his World Cup sucked but I don't think it makes my statement invalid.

6. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA probably wants to keep him, and will likely attempt to obtain a second DP slot to use on him starting next(2008) season. If not, I think a more likely spot is New York or Chicago.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    http://mlsunderground.blogspot.com/2007/01/exclusive-rapids-in-pursuit-of-us.html

9. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  10. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly, LA had to trade Ruiz to Dallas to get the allocation for Donovan. Who in the world do the Crapids have that anybody would want instead of Casey though? I can't think of a single player on their roster that I would take over Casey or even come close to taking over Casey.

11. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Dallas wanted Landon a lot more than they wanted Ruiz. MLS pretty much forced their hand since Landon only wanted to play in LA.

12. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I realize that. But at least Dallas got a pretty good player out of the deal (and you have no idea how much it pains me to say that). If MLS forces this to happen, whoever the Crapids have to trade with to get the allocation is going to get screwed.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, Cleetus was looking pretty good by the end of the season. ;)

14. RSL Donk

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I Cleetus ever decided to put the bottle down and get in shape, and actually play instead of marking the ref, He could be still one of the best players in the league. The likelihood of him doing that is pretty lose, but he still has that potential. Other than that, Pablo, as much as I can barely stand to type this, is still a good player. Wow that was extremely painful, going to have to go soak my fingers now. Other than that, there are always draft picks and allocation money that can be traded.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, they'd have to get the allocation from either TFC, Columbus or KC if they want priority. I get the feeling Sigi might want him in Columbus, so it would probably have to be with TFC. Mo could probably use some defenders or draft picks for next year.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    re: Connor Casey, reports out of Holland were that he failed to impress over a long trial period with a second division side there. Now, given the minimum salary of over $480,000 US for non-EU players signing in Holland, it's not necessarily a condemnation that he wasn't offered a contract, but there was an article on the YA board with a quote from the Dutch club manager that someone translated as meaning: the kid wasn't of enough quality to make it.

So, I guess that's my way of saying ... I'm not too worried about Colorado picking him up. Besides, he's always been known to have fitness issues.

re: Supplemental draft, I love how this sort of sneaks up on everyone each year. Nobody knows until the day it happens. Great stealth work by the league to avoid tipping their hand on super-important draft picks :rolleyes:

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats funny, the YA article I read said Casey blew off the low grade Dutch team, not the other way around.

19. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
  20. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    On the Donovan thing...
    1. He's grandfathered in this year. So LAG doesn't need to trade him or acquire a DP slot for this year.
    2. Yallop is a huge Donovan fan. I can't see him moving Donovan to another team.

3. LAG has already started talks with teams (according to rumors) about acquiring a second DP slot for next year so they're covered with Donovan. Lalas knows that the longer he waits to pull the trigger on such a deal (for a DP slot), the more the asking price goes up b/c teams will use their DP slots or identify candidates for 2008.

On Conor Casey...

1. There are always lots of rumors running around with US players out of contract. Greg Berhalter used MLS and expressed interest until a foreign deal was available and then he was gone. Gibbs was the same way. If any foreign money becomes available, Casey will likely jump at it.

2. Just as a rule of thumb, any player Fernando Clavijo wants for his team, I tend to automatically assume is a bad fit or a poor choice. Clavijo interviews well and impressed Bora and was a good indoor coach. His record with Haiti was impressive on many fronts. But his performance building teams within MLS is very unimpressive to me.

3. The general rule of thumb is that you have to use an allocation to acquire a member of the NT pool and I think Casey qualifies (even though he'd come on a free transfer). But Hejduk and Joe Max Moore were acquired with discoveries--b/c the teams with allocations passed on those players. There are a couple of teams that have stockpiled allocation money: LA is one, DCU is another. I don't see either team being that interested in Conor Casey (who knows, I could be wrong but both teams already had tall, target-type strikers they've invested some money in and have other holes). Additionally, teams have traded a lot of stuff for allocation money: draft picks, rights to players who weren't even in MLS at the time. As for the other clubs, who knows? Columbus had trouble scoring so might jump at any talented forward but getting Casey does put Garey on the bench and Schmid thinks he has a future. TFC--they need to start getting talent they intend to play. While Buddle and Eskandarian might not work out, I think they have too many other holes to claim Casey and commit cap room to him just to extort--Mathis? And they don't need a D-mid (even though Mastroeni would be an upgrade). They player they most covet is DeRosario and since Houston has Ching, getting Casey gives them no trade leverage. As for KC, I think they have frontline talent and have certainly invested in EJ--they have other holes to fill. That Onalfo was with the Arena and Casey didn't get many callups may also provide an indication of how likely KC would be to pass on Casey. Again--no inside info, just a surmise on my part.

One last thought that isn't player specific but is very relevant to RSL as a whole. Many of the teams in the West are going through "turmoil." Dallas--new coach, trade off ROB and Vanney, new scheme. Chivas--new coach, big Mexican players all leave, LAG--Yallop is remaking the team in his image, they'll be in a holding pattern waiting for Beckham to arrive and they could potentially lost Donovan to the Gold Cup and Copa Lib. DeRo is actively looking and says it is "50-50" as to whether or not he'd return--that would be a huge impact on Houston. And Colorado loses Cannon and Clavijo does his annual remake of the team he assembled the year before. My point? If RSL has its' act together, you're in a position to start fast. It doesn't hurt that playing at altitude (early in the season as players get conditioned) should be an edge for RSL against other teams.

21. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Kaiserslautern has terminated Chris Lancos's contract. You should be seeing him in camp soon. We all wish him luck.

22. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the deal? Is RSL going into the season with Garlick and Seitz as keepers? One aging player and one untested youngster.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Washington Post's Steve Goff, in his new soccer blog Soccer Insider, is reporting that Rimando is still unsigned. Also reports that Nolly is too.

So United and RSL may both be in the same boat this season...two seasoned keepers backed up by rookies...with RSL's having the better credentials.

You may want to bookmark Steve's blog. Although it's heavy on DC United stuff, he also covers the national team, MLS in general and other soccer news (such as his blogged report on the new developmental player salary). He is one of the most respected soccer reporters in the country. He says this about his blog:

23. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nolly is gone! He is going to play in Europe and if he doesn't DC has his rights. He will not play for RSL again.

There is no room or money for Rimando on RSL. He will not play for us and this has been stated by Ellinger and Pastorino several times.

Garlick will play this season and next (maybe) and then it is all Seitz.

24. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I knew Nolly was gone, traded to DC United. That's why I had him with neither RSL nor with DC United, with whom he hasn't signed.

That was the whole point of saying both teams would be heading into the season with one experienced keeper backed up by rookies.

Didn't have the detail on why no Rimando, so thanks for that.

25. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Really? I hadn't seen any comments to this. What happens to Rimando now?