RSL's Super & Supplemental Draft 2007

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by edaw33, Jan 9, 2007.

1. edaw33

edaw33 Member

Sep 28, 2006
    CLINTON, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so who do we take friday? I say defense and Michael Harrington seems like a great fit. Any input? where do we pick anyway?

2. soccerbum23

soccerbum23 Member

May 21, 2006
    Lost in Utah
    Re: superdraft

We need to draft a keeper as well as some defenders.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the problem with defense first is that we have some nice, young, developing defenders - and we need someone ready to go now, more likely added via trade or foreign signing than through the draft.

4. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004

I wouldn't mind seeing RSL trade their pick. RSL needs a speedy defender. If they go three at the back (and it almost seems a foregone conclusion. Kreis, Williams, Ballouchy, Talley, Adu, and Klein. I don't think Ellinger has the balls to bench more than one of them), they need at least one guy with real speed. Pope and Torres can win tackles, but they need some speed back there as well if there will only be three. One player who could be a decent fit in that system might be Ugo Ihemelu. Very fast and difficult to beat one on one. I know the knock on him is that he isn't too bright and gets beat on bad positioning and stupid mental mistakes more than on his physical soccer abilities. I think in that backline, his speed would be a greater asset than his faults would be detriments.

With that midfield, RSL is going to play short passes, keep possession, and look to sucker the other team into bringing someone forward and leaving Cunningham with a lot of space. The drawbacks are:

1- There will be some bad giveaways which lead to counters. A speedy guy like Ihemelu would do better defending counter attacks than buildups.

2- Teams with a fast forward of their own will try to go over the top of the midfield like RSL did last year to DC. I don't think Pope or Torres could keep up with Donovan, Johnson, or others if they get good balls over the top. In fact I bet RSL will see teams use a less used forward (like Jamil Walker for example) who has speed just for this reason.

If there is a guy in the draft with that kind of speed, I'm all for it. I don't know anything about the guys in the draft so I can't say. But I do think Ihemelu could fit well with RSL, and unless they think there is a real gem available when they pick, they may be better off trading it away, along with a few of their supplemental picks (or other basically useless commodoties like Atiba Harris) if that's what it takes. If I were GM, I honestly would be looking for a guy who can help now, and those types seem to be rare in the superdraft. If there is a player who I really thought was going to become truly phenomenal, even if it would take a few years, I wouldn't pass on the chance no matter his position. But if my number 1 need is sort of a role position like right back, I think I'd want someone with experience and known capacity rather than take a risk in the draft.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Considering RSL's record with trades, I think I much rather have them just take the best defender available when their turn goes.

RSL has blown most of their "trades for draft picks", lets stop the curse.

6. RedStarKaysville

Jan 17, 2006
    Layton
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the position that we have the least cover for is defensive midfield. If Talley got injured I think we'd be in big trouble. Therefore, I think RSL should draft Edu or Dalby. I also wouldn't mind seeing Seitz selected as our future goalkeeper.

7. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Michael Harrington seems to be the consensus pick among fans. It's true he's a very good outside back, he's very versatile, and he likes to get up into the attack. And the word is he's having a pretty good combine. But there are a few reasons I don't think RSL will pick him.

- Kaiserslautern have expressed interest in bringing him to their D2 side. The deal may be close to done.

- Given the needs of the teams who pick ahead of us, there's a chance he won't even be around by #4.

- RSL is already flirting with the salary cap. We may not be able to afford the $50k or so that he will cost. It seems more logical that RSL would take a GA player.

- Ellinger has a stiffie for kids who come out of Bradenton. Harrington didn't.

All this leads me to think RSL will go for a GA player. Of course that list hasn't been announced yet (bush league!) with the draft only days away, so I have no idea who RSL might pick. But here are a few things to think about regarding the 2007 draft:

- This is widely regarded as one of the weakest drafts in years, and reports from the combine seem to lend credence to that thought.

- Picking up a rookie fullback who's going to come in and solve our problems at outside back is probably pie in the sky. Last year Marvell Wynne was clearly the best outside back at the combine (no such player this year), and even he had issues adjusting to MLS. I'm not sure Harrington would even beat out Forko or Novak because at least they've got experience at this level.

8. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^
    |
    |
    I don't think there's as much difficulty as you say in bringing in a good rookie defender. Sure, Marvell Wynne was the most highly regarded PROSPECT, but everyone knew there were holes in his game. There have been many cases of teams picking up defenders who can come in and play admirably from the start. For example, there's Parkhurst, Boswell, Borstein, Dasan Robinson, etc.. There are capable defenders in this draft pool.

9. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like who?

What I'm hearing is that there are 3 or 4 MLS-quality defenders at the combine, and Harrington is the only one with decent speed. The last thing RSL needs is another big, slow fullback.

I'm not saying Harrington is bad. I would actually be happy with him being our pick. I'm just saying I don't think he's going to step into the starting lineup and be our defensive savior like many RSL fans seem to think.

The consensus among every coach at the combine who's opined on the matter is this is the weakest draft in 5 years, particularly at defender. There might be a hidden gem in this class, but for every Bornstein there are 10 who don't cut it, and I think that's a real danger this year in particular.

10. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT

Harrington is a lefty. We already have a decent left back with speed and experience in Forko. I had originally thought Harrington would be the guy, but not after I found out he's natively a left back.

Perhaps I'm showing my lack of knowlege in this, but don't you usually use a player on the side of the field that their foot preference favors? Or is it really not as big of a deal.

11. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

It isn't a huge deal, but it is nice to have the ability to hit a bent ball along the line...it isn't typically a dangerous pass and can have positive consequences. Additionally, in a 3 back alignment, the outside back has less opportunity to play balls up the line than in a back 4.

Remember, we believe that RSL is looking for a back to play in a back 3, so he and Wee Willie are not being looked at for the same position.

12. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Soumare, we have good right and left defenders. We need a central defender for when Pope retires after this year.

Do you want Niko the only backup to Pope?

13. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT

I thought Torres was a good option in back. And we can look at picking up a central defender next year (when Pope retires probably). I was under the impression that we needed a right side back with quickness to help compensate for what neither Novak or Stewart can bring in a 3 man back line.

14. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am thinking that we will go with a 3 man back line.

Stewart---------Pope---------Torres Starting line
    (Forko)----(Niko/Soumare)---(Novak) Backup line

I would rather draft him this year and have him learn for a year than draft a kid next year and throw him to the wolves.

p.s. I am having a hard time remembering which side Forko and Novak play.

15. utah_heretic

utah_heretic New Member

Jul 16, 2005

You have them right...

Torres is quick enough with good enough outside technique to play outside...but he's a stronger center back. Stewart is a much stronger central defender than an outside...I remember watching him get burned badly on the outside.

I'm a little dubious about the way I've heard the 3-5-2 described here. I've heard people talk as though the outside midfielders will simply mark up their outside midfielders allowing the two outside backs to mark the other teams strikers...In principal there's some merit to this thought process, but in practice this isn't how defensive help rotates in a 3-5-2...

In a 4-4-2, you rotate your attacking side defender forward in support on the wing, eliminating the need for the defensive midfielder to be drawn out of the center to support. This helps you keep a strong central midfield presence to chase down anything which pops out and prevent a centrally driven counter. In a counterattack on the outside, your defense will rotate across the field to the point of attack to provide help for a beaten man. In a central counter, your central defender will get sucked forward to meet the play and an outside defender will typically be forced to pinch toward the center to provide support, relying on a recovering weak side wing to help cover the outside. (yes I know, none of this is written in stone, and teams play this rotation differently to accommodate personnel weaknesses and strengths). The upshot though is that you put a lot of pressure on your outside midfielders to get back to cover a 4-5 man attack.

In a 3-5-2, you will still press the wing with your outside midfielders, which will still force your outside defense to mark a counterattacking wing...The difference is that your defensive midfielder will typically rotate to the center to support rather than shifting the backs toward the point of attack. The 3-5-2 is more robust obviously against a central counter because there's so much less free space in the center, so teams will commonly attempt to exploit the wings, and puts a great deal of pressure on the defensive midfielder and outside backs to not make mistakes. As such you typically want your outside backs to have great outside technique.

Hard to say how Ellinger will attempt to work out a counter rotation to minimize weakness in a 3-5-2 without a pair of true outside backs. I just thought I'd lend my 2 cents to the discussion. A Torres-Pope-Stewart back 3 wouldn't be my first choice. I could see a case made for a Forko-Pope-Torres, but either way, we continue to struggle at Right Back...I wonder if Cherundolo is available.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In terms of number of picks, we aren't as bad off (comparatively speaking) as I thought (from SoccerAmerica's daily e-newsletter):

ORDER, ORDER. Here are the picks currently held by each team, listed in their first-round draft order, with the number of picks in parentheses (picks in the first two rounds/total picks). The New York Red Bulls have no first-round pick and only two of the 52 selections in the four rounds.

1. Toronto FC (1/3)
    2. Columbus (2/4)
    3. Kansas City (1/3)
    4. Real Salt Lake (1/2)
    5. Los Angeles (5/7)
    6. Colorado (3/6)
    7. Chivas USA (1/2)
    8. Chicago (2/4)
    9. FC Dallas (3/6)
    10. Los Angeles
    11. D.C. United (2/5)
    12. New England (2/4)
    13. Houston (2/4)
    19.(second round) New York Red Bulls (1/2)

----------------------

We're in the same position as Chivas and New York, and close to both Toronto and Kansas City in terms of what we have to work with.

17. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

from ESPN

13. Michael Harrington, defender/midfielder, North Carolina -- The best left back on the boards, and like all truly skilled lefties, he's going to be coveted. He's a great athlete with above-average ball skills for his position because of his career start as a midfielder/forward. Some people consider him a future U.S. national team player. Harrington showed versatility at the combine by also playing left midfielder and right back.

The ESPN breakdown is interesting...in addition to Harrington, there appears to be a couple other players who will fit the bill for what is needed.

In response to the earlier poster who asked about central defenders behind Pope...that may be our deepest position...Torres, Stewart, Akwari (remember, we only hate him when he is playing out wide or in a back 3 on the outside), and Besagno can all play.

18. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

If the commentary re the fact this draft isn't very deep is correct, the Gals are seriously screwed with all those picks.

19. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. edaw33

edaw33 Member

Sep 28, 2006
    CLINTON, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SoccerAmerica's interesting RSL draft news:

Rumors were rife, of course, of trades and swaps and allocations. Several clubs were in pursuit of Real Salt Lake midfielder Mehdi Ballouchy, in the belief he'd be available perhaps since Freddy Adu wants to play that position, but RSL was not in serious discussions.

RSL does have a dilemma in goal, however. It has apparently not been able to come to terms with Nick Rimando, which has increased the likelihood that Real will take Maryland goalkeeper Chris Seitz with the No. 4 pick. Yet Seitz will miss some of the season if the U.S. qualifies for the U-20 World Cup, and so the scuttlebutt is Real may pick Seitz and look elsewhere for another keeper if Rimando isn't signed.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With #4 pick, RSL takes....

Chris Seitz
    Maryland,
    U20 National Team GK
    age 19
    6'4
    210 lbs
    San Luis Obispo CA USA

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guess SA was right. Rimando is a prob.

Seitz is a good player, he is a good pick.

24. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You've got to be f-in' kidding me! With all the immediate needs RSL's got, the best we can do with our first rounder is pick a keeper who's going to be 3rd string at best?

What the hellinger?

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The way I see, none of the potential Draftees would have started. Seitz could start right away. He could also be traded for some existing player who could meet RSL's defense needs NOW.

Glass-half full approach, I know, but we are RSL fans, right? What else have we got?