Robbie Rogers Currently Training with PSV?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IMOX77, Nov 26, 2004.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It seems former US u-17 forward Robbie Rogers who has long been rumored to have trials at Bayern Munich and in Holland, is either training or having a trial at PSV.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3658946#post3658946
    Does any one else recieve e-mails from PSV? If so did you recieve the same thing?

info on Rogers for those who do not know who he is
    Rogers, Robbie F 6’0” 150 05/12/87 Huntington Beach, CA South Bay Black/Huntington Bch HS

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If you read it in an email, it must be true. From the team's website: "Bij Jong PSV speelde Robby Rogers, een Amerikaan die momenteel stage loopt bij de Eindhovense club."

http://www.psv.nl/show?id=14640&contentid=7720

He played in a 3-2 win for PSV's second team. He went the full 90 at forward but did not score.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Rogers is Klinsie's protege, right?

4. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    He's on trial, played a friendly game with the youth-team against PSV-A1 (another youth team). Don't know how he played or how long he's staying though.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the chances he has a Euro passport?

6. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. I should have made a little clearer by saying I received an email from Jörgen van der Meulen, system administrator for PSV.nl stating Robby Rogers played yesterday. I can't read dutch so couldn't find a link.

7. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I dont know but does he need a Euro passpaort to play in Holland? I thought in Holland and Germany you did not need a Euro passport?

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well the minimum salary is €401,715 for a non-european player. Do you think they'll sign a kid for that money unless he can walk in and start?

check out our comparing MLS to Europe thread for more stuff.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

10. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do they have to pay him that much if they are signing him to their academy or whatever they have in Holland? Does JOB have a Euro passport? If not how did Ajax get him in?

11. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    IIRC. JOB has been in the Ajax youth system since he was in his early teens and is a product of the Ajax academy.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I must have missed the other ways to spread the costs?
    What other ways?

The only thing I could see is if PSV had a deal with a Belgian club where the minimum salary is only €75K. I haven't heard of any such deal for PSV though.

===
    When JOB went to Holland the minimum salary was €150K or less, I don't know if he was paid when he got there - but I think if you were under 18 you could be there on an amateur contract. Those days are gone with the new FIFA rules.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, that's the way.

Or, if the kid is really really good, but not the starting F-noord/PSV quality good, he can be loaned to a lower tier Dutch club with the F-noord/PSV picking up a portion of his salary.

If he has a tremendous upside, 50% of €401K (sounds like a retirement plan, doesn't it?) isn't an unreasonable amount to invest for one year. That's roughly what Everton was offering Danny Szetela ($140-160K) to be with their youth academy.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Just to be clear, I wasn't giving you a hard time... Just confirming that your report was true! Thanks for posting it.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feyenoord works with Westerlo, but they would have to let the Belgians sign the player. I don't think PSV has that arrangement in place - but they would have to feel the player could step in and play in Belgium, which isn't a guarantee.

The 401K plan makes it so difficult to make these deals happen right now, maybe Robbie has some contacts with smaller clubs in Germany or Belgium.

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    He finished 2 years of high school. Went to Ajax about 16 y/o. Was drafted by the Galaxy in the inaugural draft, but decided to go abroad instead (was cut though I don't know the circumstances)

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/roster/men/obrien.htm
    17 isn't his "early teens" though articles from early 1996 seemed to inidcate he was with their youth program already

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=1140
    was at the initial MLS combine (early 1996), listed as Anaheim, CISL

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=13336
    Galaxy cut O'Brien and Razov 4/16/1996. Nice move.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=12801
    indicates 18 y/o O'Brien in Ajax for 2 years

I thought he had an Irish passport? The rules in 1996-98 were likely different.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2327179&postcount=65
    indicates he doesn't have an irish passport.

17. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Thanks for the info. I was just going off of memory, and I wasn't really going to try and look it up.

18. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    That's false.

That was a completely different John O'Brien.

19. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Just FYI, swed ... O'Brien turned 19 in 1996 ... as I recall, he joined Ajax in 1994, right around the time he turned 17.

Also, to confirm, there was a different John O'Brien who played for UCLA. You can find confirmation here...
    http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ucla/sports/m-soccer/auto_pdf/awards-honors.pdf

(Even if you don't care about confirmation, the link is worth checking out for the pictures of Joe-Max looking like a 12-year-old, Ante looking like a skater, and a couple of goalkeepers with a full head of hair.)

20. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Anyone know if "that" John O'Brien has been able to stay healthy?

21. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    I heard there is a swedish team waiting in the wings if a Holland team does not sign him. Of course there is always the college route in the U.S.........

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he considered Belgium? €75K is probably fairly easy for the big teams to drop on a young prospect.

What about Germany?

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    My thinking was along the same lines, though I wasn't aware of the F-noord/Westerlo deal. I wonder though if Belgium, besides Beveren, will become a super-feeder league for the big'uns.

Right. I assume he's just auditioning for as many decent sides as he can.

You've mentioned Westerlo. I assume that PSV could make a wink-wink deal with other teams if a Belgian team balks?

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And how 'bout the picture of Cobi with the Kid 'N Play early 90's fade!