Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right, which means Australia will only use 2 of the 4 matchdays in June for WCQ. Other confederations aren't out of time with their current formats, Asia is which makes me wonder are they going to change their format in someway.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Going back to the CONCACAF talk things just got a little more interesting for Panama.

Guus Hiddink is now the manager of Curacao.

I respect him and his tactics and maybe Panama is not favorite anymore in my eyes.

All bets are off and they are even.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So El Salvador is basically through to eh elite 8?

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't go that far until if and when T&T is suspended. It makes it annoying for my prediction contest when teams drop out or forfeit for using ineligible players. It's simple to ignore score predictions for games that don't happen, but I make each part worth a certain percentage, and I don't like when groups have unequal amounts of teams. Anyone who wants to predict Concacaf can do so at https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/c...up-2022-prediction-contest-round-1-r.2110827/

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Outrageous if that happens!

Whatever happens this should be a lesson learned - i.e. don't have a draw for round 2 before the end of round 1 (or at least not before round 1 even starts). And of course made worse in this instance since the top seeds were assigned their groups rather than randomly drawn into them.

7. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was actually no draw for Round 2. It was pre determined. I think its a bit premature. I bet the situation somehow gets resolved just in time.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, that's what I meant but maybe I wasn't clear. And this issue around T&T pre-dates the fixed "draw". Only in CONCACAF.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    AlbertCamus and Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF

BocaFan repped this.
  11. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it that USSF lost many tens of millions with the failure to qualify for WC18. I think they want to make sure it doesn't happen again so any short term gain in ticket sales would be insignificant compared to the $s lost if the USMNT fails to qualify again. So they need to choose venues wisely.

So what NFL stadiums do you realistically think they can sell out, even for a WCQ, with mostly home fans? Unless there is some huge jump in interest, I think it's s short list and TBH I'm not sure they could even do it in the NY area or Chicago especially vs a non-marque opponent like Jamaica or Honduras or one of the 3 qualifying teams or maybe even against anyone else but Mexico.

My assumption being that they would put the match somewhere far from large communities of opposing fans; e.g., not screw up and put USA v CRC in the NY metro area again.

12. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After thinking about it for awhile I'm starting to agree with your points. Put all the qualifiers in MLS Stadiums. Save the big stadiums for friendlies and send off series. However, I do think Seattle and Atlanta could do it for a WCQ but they both have field turf. Of the grass stadiums your right Chicago is probably it.

Paul Calixte and voiceoflg repped this.
  13. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue with friendlies is the lack of interest. I've traveled to a couple dozen USMNT games in the last 5+ years or so. There is zero chance I'm traveling to a friendly before maybe the WC22 sendoffs in late 2022 if I'm super motivated/ excited and it's close to me. In the 13 months between March 2021 and March 2022, there are going to be 2 Nation's League matches, probably 6 Gold Cup Matches, and 14 WCQs. I'm saving my travel funds for some of those 22 meaningful games.

I don't travel to friendlies anymore except the ones we bus up to in LA each camp cupcake that usually draw like 6,500 fans filling a fraction of the 27K Dignity Health can hold. Unless they schedule Brazil, Argentina, or one of the huge UEFA teams I don't think USMNT can even fill a MLS stadium for a friendly.

They haven't announced yet where the Nation's League semi/final will be. That's CONCACAF though not a USMNT decision, but it should be a big stadium where a lot of Mexican fans can attend easily too as I'm sure most are hoping for a USA v MEX final.

Then there's the Gold Cup which of course is always hosted by the US and which is again a CONCACAF gig, so venues will be chosen to maximize crowds without regard to favoring the USMNT. I mean, it's only fair as the tournament is hosted in the US every single cycle. I think those are the only chances for NFL sized stadiums for the knockouts.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Send off series which is usually three friendlies right before the World Cup always draws well. The issue this time is you are now playing those during the NFL season instead of late May early June. They'll have to be crafty in scheduling those in stadiums where teams are away or on bye weeks. With limited amount of friendlies because of the pandemic and nations league my guess is they will only schedule the two South American giants and or the top 6 or 7 from Europe if there was a adate open for a dfriendly.

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    September 2022's out of the question, as both UEFA and Concacaf have Nations League games scheduled for then, so we'd be looking at pre-WC friendlies in early/mid November.

16. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, The Send off Series that we do everytime we make a World Cup.

17. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked up both the 2010 and 2014 cycles and you're right. The final sendoff in Jacksonville in 2014 drew 52K and the other two drew well too (mid-20s/sell out in Red Bull). Assuming USMNT qualifies (another discussion altogether), I think the interest level by late 2022 will be back up near 2014 levels and a large NFL stadium makes sense if they can schedule around the NFL, which shouldn't be that hard.

As for friendlies between now and the Nations League semis in March, they'd have a hard time selling out an MLS stadium, especially if it's only domestic-based players as GB said will be the case in October. The interest level just isn't there, even if a miracle COVID vaccine/cure suddenly appeared.

My comment about Brazil/Argentina/UEFA giants wasn't meant to imply I think it'll happen, my point was the USMNT alone without a major marquee opponent is not enough at present to come even close to filling a 50K+ NFL stadium. I'm sure both sides would like it as it means a big payday, but with COVID restrictions and the packed qualifying schedule it would be really difficult to pull that off.

18. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the calendar aside from something maybe this October or November we likely wouldn't have friendlies until June 2022 and beyond.

19. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter stated recently that the plan is for 2 friendlies in the US this October (in 2 months) with US-based players only and then in November away versus a European opponent with only Euro-based USMNT players. As far as I know there is nothing firm announced yet, but this sounds reasonable. I don't know how difficult it'll be to find opponents and line up venues but I imagine there are many countries trying to sort things out so it'll get done.

20. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mentioned aside from the friendlies in October and November. My guess is they would be with limited fans so I'm not sure US Soccer cashing out and playing in an NFL stadium makes sense.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  21. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they could opt to play it in a state that allows fans. Our local team played in front of fans in Utah and it looks like RSL are selling tickets for their game vs LA tomorrow.

22. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #4147 Marius Tresor, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    I have not seen this posted. Does this force CONMEBOL to play its qualifiers in Europe? What about Americans, Mexicans, and other non-European players in Europe?

23. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    That Tweet ^ in English:

Translated from Spanish by

[​IMG]#ALERTA : #FIFA modifies the regulations for the transfer of players to national teams due to the pandemic. A club can refuse if a footballer must serve a quarantine of at least five days, if there are travel restrictions or if authorities do not grant exemption from quarantine to selected players.

(I would translate it as "release," not "transfer")

24. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is they would cancel the matches if it were USMNT situation as they'd just bbe friendlies in October and November. As for CONMEBOL they'd probably be forced to cancel.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's always the excuse of US fans.