Only 8 A-League American Teams Left...

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by KCWiz, Oct 30, 2004.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    So do they all get in now? Or will the LHUSOC change it so not all 8 teams get a bid to the US Open? Ithink they should only allow 6 or 7 in.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the OPEN cup. They should all be allowed in.

Sad to hear about the continuing slide of the A-League.

MLS is starting to finally turn it around. I wonder if we'll ever get steady or steadily growing lower divisions. Rather than steadily declining.

3. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    People forget that Ajax Orlando will have an A-League side for next year. Ajax set up a PDL Side for last year and are having an A-League Side for this year. There will be 9 again but sad that Syracuse is gone, because it would have been 10. Still USL has to somehow allow Division III Sides given a chance to move into A-League Status and move some of these PDL sides to become D3. It's sad to see there are more PDL clubs than there are D3 & A-League.

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, Ajax Orlando is unsure if they will be coming into the A-League this year. They are pushing really hard to build a stadium for soccer and I think they might wait until they know its going to happen before they play in the A-League.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I don't have the link but I do remember on the USL Website that Ajax Orlando side was suppose to have a squad in 2005 for A-League. Their Prospects side started in the PDL this season.

7. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok I'll be blunt about this. I am friends with the Ajax Orlando organization. They were intending to go to A-League this year (in 2005). After they had produced those links you are referencing, they said they probably wouldn't. They don't want to play pro ball in a high school football stadium, and the only other facility is the ultra large Citrus Bowl. So until they build a Soccer stadium in Orlando, forget A-League.
    In fact, they are even planning to play in the PDL with their 18 year olds for the 2005 season (which is down from using the best mix of senior college-age players like last year).

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Actually this thread should be remaned as Only 9 A-League American Teams Left

Minnesota Thunder
    Milwaukee Wave United
    Seattle Sounders
    Portland Timbers
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Charleston Battery
    Richmond Kickers
    Rochester Rhinos
    Virginia Beach Mariners

Ajax Orlando would put them back to 10.

SoccerPrime: You know speaking about the Orlando downtown area or at least near the Citrus Bowl stadium area I am familiar with the area. Tinker Field is the old Minor League Baseball stadium that is next to the Citrus Bowl stadium. If Ajax Orlando wants to build a stadium there to me would be the logical choice. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays moved their Double A minor league affillite out of there a long time ago because at the time former Orlando Mayor Glenda Hood didn't want to refurbish Tinker Field for the D-Rays, so they moved to the Disney Wide World of Sports baseball stadium where the Braves have their spring training games. But now there is no more minor league baseball in Orlando. The D-Rays moved their AA affillite to Montgomery, Alabama. So if Ajax Orlando wants to build their stadium on the site of Tinker Field, I think that would be a great place for them to do so. You have the East-West Expressway as well as I-4, near Church Street Station.

Unless they want to help build it inside the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex, but talking to Disney about it might be a different route, but plenty of room to do so.

Well those are my opinions and I truly want this to happen in the Orlando area it's really a good town and if promoted correctly it can succeed. Pulling for it.

10. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    WOW! When did that happen?! That's a complete shock to me. Milwaukee has such strong support I thought.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIO17, near the Citrus Bowl is exactly where Ajax Orlando wants to be. The area is actually called Thunder Field and its just south of the Citrus Bowl and Tinker Field. But I think Ajax wants the City to help them build it, which is the catch.
    Believe me, I am praying for it to happen too!

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well at least it's not Glenda Hood. I heard she is a real bitch. Never heard of Thunder Field. But I think that Tinker Field would be better, because I don't forsee Pro Baseball returning to Orlando. If it does, then it's going to be in the Disney Complex.

13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, "Open" means "not an invitational." In an Invite, USSoccer gets to hand-pick the teams they want to participate. Here, USSoccer allows all teams to QUALIFY for the tournament, but doesn't chose the actual teams. Are you that hung up on the name of the tourney? OK, let's change it to "The USSoccer National Championship." It's still "open" in the sense that I described it.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think milwaukee's main problem came because the owners were thinking what worked for indoor works for outdoor. Rebranding a team, having to set up basically from scratch when the Rampage folded probably didn't help either.

The rumor I heard was that they were heading down a division thought and not disappearing all together so technically they will still be in the USOC if that is the case.

Mikey

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hood wasn't so bad. The new mayor talks big but I seriously doubt 1/10 of what he wants will happen. Thunder Field is an old football field (for the old Orlando Thunder of the WFL). Tinker Field has now been listed as a historical site and both our mayor and congressman are pushing for a new baseball team there. Disney sold the Rays baseball because they werent good business, they arent going to get a new team.

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Really? Tinker Field is a historical site? Wow that's a complete shocker to me. So that's where the old Orlando Thunder of the World League of American Football was playing. I thought it was at the Citrus Bowl when that league started up. I know the Orlando Rage of the XFL played in the Citrus Bowl. By the way I have the inaugruial set of World League of American Football trading cards from Pro Set. Thanks for making me open it up. Oh my goodness, those old neon colored jerseys for the Orlando Thunder. My goodness.

Whell I hope that Thunder Field will be the new home for that stadium.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we are veering off topic here, but FYI Thunder Field was built by the city of Orlando for the WFL's Orlando Thunder for a practice field. The WFL Thunder did play at the Citrus Bowl (as did the XFL Rage).
    Best thing about Thunder Field is that its #1-nice semi-downtown real estate #2-very close to I-4/408 #3-right next to the Citrus Bowl and Tinker Field, both of which are going to be remodeled at some point.
    Heres to Ajax Orlando and their new SSS in downtown Orlando.

18. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    That's true we are going way off topic. But still there is some prime areas over there near the Citrus Bowl & close to I-4 & the the East-West Expressway. I just want to see it happen as much as you do SoccerPrime.

I hope it will work in Orlando.