Massive Change for A-League in 2005!

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by kingwho, Oct 29, 2004.

1. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis
    we got the inside scoop tonite on a radical change for the A-League in 2005

-4 teams are gone: edmonton, calgary, syracuse and yes - milwuakee

-new alignment of the teams in the league

-new style schedule

read it all at the best fan site around
    www.blueskysoccer.com

2. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Home and Aways for Portland, Seattle, Minnesota, Puerto Rico = suicide.

Until about two weeks ago, I was really optimistic for the league. Right now, I don't see any way it survives past 2006.

3. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    So far we are hearing about teams dropping out. What about teams being added. Is it too late to speculate that teams in new markets have join the A-League? Is USL waiting for the AOM in Tampa to release this information, or your sources basically say 12 teams for 2005.

12 teams...it reminds me of the old APSL how from 18 went down to 12 went out of business!!

4. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    I it highly unlikely there will be any new teams in the a-league for the 2005 season.

5. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Even with "regional roadtrips" by clubs, such as a Seattle-Portland-Vancouver swing, I still see this as a monetary disaster.

The USL would be better served taking the money they would save on travel and giving it to PSL/PDL clubs as incentive to jump up. In the "Northwest" that would mean Sea, Port and Van could then play Utah, Spokane, Yakima and Cascade, among others.

WHY WHY WHY do we need a "nationwide" 2nd division season schedule in soccer? Our league averages under 4,000 per match. Asking Seattle to go to Puerto Rico TWICE (and vice versa) is just ridiculous.

Think REGIONAL until the Final.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this will effect the league too much. Seattle,Portland Vancouver go to Puerto Rico once Puerto Rico makes a road swing through the northwest.

Several people have been advocating a single table for years. Now we got it. Would I lke to see a couple more teams? Sure, but not if they are going to cost the league money when they fold in mid season.

I looking foward to seeing some new teams.

Mikey

7. soccer4sFlorida

soccer4sFlorida New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    2 new teams will be added, one in Ft Lauderdale, and possibly one in Tampa

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    A wise admonition. The concentration of teams is east of the Mississippi river.
    Those teams should comprise a single table A-League, along with any team or two that can be brought in or brought up. The northwest conference should remain separate, playing among themselves and other USL sides in a Pacific Confederation. This means inviting a number of lower division teams to join the championship for season. It might even lead to promotion/relegation out west.

The winner of the single table east wins the A-League Championship. That team could play the winner of the Pacific Confederation Championship (also a single table) for a USL Cup.

The country is too big, and travel is too expensive for the A-League budgets.
    Work with the stuation, not against it.

A-League in the east, Pacific League in the west, USL Cup contested in a single match between the two champions.

Which is the 2nd Division? Does it matter? If it does, both are -- a second division of 2 conferences.

9. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Tampa was added on Monday. They folded yesterday. ;)

10. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    How much cheaper is a flight to Utah vs. a flight to Atlanta from the Pacific North-West ($150 maybe)? Multiply that by 15 and that is your savings resulting from having Utah in the A-League. Hardly enough to pay Utah's added expenses.

11. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    And then multiply that by ALL of the teams, since everyone would save by lesser travel. So, probably about $25,000 to "promoted" clubs to offset their "new" travel expenses. Perhaps more, as Rochester, etc, would not have to fly to Seattle if Seattle had other clubs to play, as an example.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not getting any positive vibes on this new set up. I'm definitely more of a regional guy, but at least this keeps the league alive another season.

13. kingwho

kingwho New Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Minneapolis

not one word of this was mentioned to me last night when i got the lowdown that i wrote about

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in 2006.

15. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Where did you get that Seattle would have to go to PR twice? Assuming this pans out, Seattle would travel to Minnesota, Vancouver and Portland twice, and to all other A-League cities, including PR, only once.

So you make a road swing to, say, Atlanta, Charleston and PR. A second one to Toronto, Rochester and Montreal. And a third to Richmond and Virginia Beach. It's tough, but I don't see it as that huge an increase in travel from the current set up personally. Actually, Minnesota and Puerto Rico are the only teams that are really far from anyone else, making it more difficult for visiting teams to schedule trips that would visit a couple or three teams in a short period of time.

16. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    The Islanders are gonna be history when our owner's cash runs out SOONER than expected because of the A collapsing. We're gonna be cooked!

We have a special situation because of the logistics. But let's be honest, that's our problem, not everyone else's.

It costs too much cash for teams to come see us for just one freaking game. That's why we had to do two home games for each Eastern franchise when they travel to the island. When we went to Montreal last year, our team stayed there for two freaking weeks at a college dorm because it wasn't cost effective to fly back. In my opinion, The A did us a big favor with scheduling
    last year. We were not inconvienced anywhere near what our visiting teams were.

This year, it's gonna be tough all around. The League is on CRACK if they think that anything other than PR having a team visit for at least two games on the same trip is gonna work.

I love the Islanders. I want them to exceed. I just wonder if we are more of a liability to the league than an asset.

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Spain's third division B is all regional. Saves a truck-load of $$$.

18. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .... and Marcos still kept the ante-up cash..........

19. Grah

Grah Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Why aren't the all the flights booked on chartered flights. With the spare seats sold off to fans.

What would happen it the A-league had Womens or PDL teams - 2/3 games for one price. Might get more people in, might get school club trips if 1st game kicks off early?

Finally if you when regigional to tie everyone together have a Champions league format. Then only the top clubs have continteal travel.

you do have the numbers to work together in creating these leagues. It just takes a little time to prove you are going to stick around long enough to become a fan favorite.

The quakes brand should never leave San Jose, drop them from MLS to A-league give Othertown gets a new brand. Once quakes start getting investment then they come back to San Jose. Killing the team history fans is terrible because you pull out their hope.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I had read somewhere that the A-league had only 7 teams one year but I wanted to back that up some.

I found this site which,technically the ASPL became the A-league in 1995. It only had 6 teams that season. In 1996 it grew to 7.

in 1997 it merged with the USISL to create what we know today as the USL and within it the A-league.

Here is the excellent link from the history of American soccer

http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/apsl.html

My point is that I think the A-league will survive, it might be modified year to year, but this is don't the darkest it has been.

I would say that with 12/13 teams we'll see a much better product and while I see the merits of regional play, the league could capitalize on the country reaching sponsorships of a truely (inter) National league.

Mikey

21. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    Nostradamus predicts:
    there will be two new teams announced next week. One west coast one east coast!

Actually, I like the idea of regional divisions with a single table. Winner of west vs. winner of east one game!

22. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    There will be no repeat no new team in 2005.I have an inside connection and they have told me yes there was some interest from a miami group but thats it they never put in a applaction.And with utah they will not be moving to the a league.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can survive 12 teams, but I think the big clubs need to step forward and figure out that the USL doesn't offer them much in terms of stability and they may need to go at it alone.

24. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    There WILL be 12 teams; there WILL be a single table. Each team will play 28 games for the season.

25. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows, maybe they'll have relegation with th psl in a few seasons. :)