Official DC United vs Columbus Crew PRE Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DC United vs Columbus Crew

• Sunday, October 19, 4:00 EST •

It's the end of the season and things are gaining momentum so I'm putting this thread up early. And, anyway, what else are we going to talk about this week?

Live on ESPN2
    DCUnited.com Match Preview - Including TV, Radio and Webcast Information
    MLSNet Match Notes
    English Webcast - WMET
    Other Webcasts
    PBP Chat Information

• Note • This is a MUST NOT LOSE game. A draw or a win and we're in. A loss and we're in trouble because the Crew will still be able to tie us in points and they'll hold the head-to-head tiebreaker.

This post will be updated later in the week for corrections and additions.
    Items in gray will be updated once available or confirmed.

No Flames • No Trolls

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Warriors show up to games like this, both on the field and in the stands.

DC United-2
    Columbus-0

3. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    We, the fans, are the 12th man of this team and have to live up to that on Sunday.

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Have we actually won an afternoon game this season?

We don't seem to do to well in those 4 pm matches..

As far as I can tell we have lost all of our late afternoon matches (@ SJ, home to Mutts and @ NE)..

Not a good sign..

Somehow someway we pull out the result this weekend.. If not, there are going to be some tight sphincters around the DC area..

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this game on Sunday? Dang it. Major schedule headaches await. I think it's time for the hubby to pay me back for staying home to help with the Science project while he went to the Tottenham game.

6. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    This is killing me. MUST we be the last team in???

DCU 1
    Cowlumbus 0

7. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I don't really see any way for us to score with the team we will put out there but maybe we will get a lucky goal somewhere and get the point we need.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I say we bang 'em like a screen door in a hurricane.

DC 3
    Bumblebees 0

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I ask this in all seriousness: Who do you realistically think is gonna score those goals and why? What possible basis do you have for such a prediction?

Honestly, I'd like to know. I can see us scoring one goal - maybe a PK. But two? Three? I just don't see how you can make such a prediction.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Because they play better at home and they want to finish the regular season on a high note. And mostly because I choose to believe they can and will.

Martins and Cerritos (2) do the honors

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I think Stewart & Cerritos can score one each.

Is that so hard to believe.

And even if Stewart or Cerritos fails to score one, people like Nelsen, Petke & Ivanov can score off a corner (Nelsen & Petke used to be able to score on corners and set pieces in previous years).

You even admit that you can see them score one, once the first one is in Columbus will be demoralized. It would be much easier to score another goal on a team that is down and out for the count.

Two is not an excessive amount of goals, after all it is only one more than what you conceded.

Also, the DC United fans will also be cheering the team on, that's gotta count for something.

Let me also add that in my initial post I referred to the team and their fans as warriors, I did so for a reason.

While this team is not the most offensively gifted team in MLS, it is a team that does not give up. They come out and fight for everything. The team has also shown their unwillingness to give up in the face of adversity. Let's not forget the last two years (2001 & 2002), the previous statements could not have been said about those teams.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

No, technically, we don't HAVE to be. I would prefer it to the alternative though. :)

13. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Some have broken the playoffs down to points to get in to the dance. Me, I think we need to win from here on out. We need to bring our best stuff from here on out. It's time for United to have a kill em all attitude. I know I'll be bringing it.

14. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United 1:Crew 0

I feel that the defensive nature of D.C United is the only aspect of our game good enough to rise to this occasion. I predict a lot of DC Players such as Stewart, Cerritos, and maybe even Etcheverry will launch the ball 50 feet over the goal due to their realization of the importance of this match.

We might get lucky and get a goal or PK. If we don't I'm guessing we lose in overtime.

15. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the boys don't learn anything else from this regular season, I hope they realize that they have to completely focus on the match until it's over. One less late goal conceded here or there early in the season and we're already in the playoffs and resting folks for this match.

But no use looking back now. The boys need to answer the bell on Sunday and they shouldn't need Ray or John to tell them that.

1-0 to United, with Marco getting and then converting a PK late in the second half.

16. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    DC 1 Cows O OT

DCU finally wins an OT match with a Hristo Ripper from 30 yards out. I agree, warriors come to play for this type of game. Of course, he gets in the ref's face after the goal about a previous non call and gets red carded. ;)

Better than being the last team out! Go DC!

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the flip side, if we win our last two matches (not impossible at home), and the Revs and Metros tie both their games together (also not impossible) - we end up in second place, I believe.

18. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    First, come up with original insult.

Second, better you lot than the alleged soccer team in central Ohio. If the Crew somehow make the playoffs, I guarantee there will be no changes next season.

Even if DC wins, it doesn't mean the Crew won't keep the status quo

19. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    though i share some of knave's concern at our ability to thump them 3-0, we did thump the scum 2-0 on the road and i'd say the scum have the better team and defense.

i could definitely see the "early goal" scenario working, they might deflate and let us have our way with them.

but i'd say it is probably more likely it turns into a one-goal game with the decision late in the game.

just for fun i say 2-1 the good guys.

20. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was a saturday home game. It's on Sunday? Still home right?

Either way, I predict a 1-1 tie

21. Postmaster

Postmaster Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Poolesville, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew U-23s

http://www.1460thefan.com/tf.php?story=dispatch/2003/10/11/20031011-E10-01.html
    "Three players depart for duty with U-23s at inopportune time
    The Crew will be missing three young players most of next week as it prepares for a critical game at D.C. on Oct. 19.

That’s the way it is when a club has players in the national team pool. Defender Nelson Akwari, forward Edson Buddle and midfielder Kyle Martino left Chicago today for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to train with the Under-23 team and possibly play an exhibition against Haiti on Wednesday."

Presume they'll all be in DC on Sunday.

No DC players in U-23 camp, right?
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=77020

22. musterion

musterion New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Hilliard, OH USA
    All you need is a blind Ref

Marco itchyhairy can just make a convincing dive like the last time he played us to get a PK.

23. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    The Crew have won only one of their last 12 away matches and that one was against the Burn.

Failure to get a point against Columbus means a must point game against the Wiz, who aren't a good road team either, but who've been playing well lately.

No question the Crew have the steeper hill to climb, but this is far from over. United needs an early goal Sunday to max the pressure on the Crew.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We have not beat Columbus on the road this year.

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    He was referring to the Metroscum, not the Cowshed Scum.

Sachin