Lionel Messi to MLS?.. The Saga Starts Part 1 [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1626 Auriaprottu, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    Nothing MLS is willing to try is going to change the league, because the quality on the pitch isn't the problem, unless we think we should be competing to be one of the best leagues on Earth (we have no business aspiring to that). Plenty of true fans gleefully watch lesser football than MLS provides.

I'd say Beckham's introduction was the least damaging to the spirit of competition, as he was really there to sell shirts. I guess the dearth of clubs is what made the galaxy champions so many times- it's easy to call yourself great when there's only 15 teams in the league. Luckily, Zlatan won nothing while he was here. OTOH, Messi, Alba and Busquets plus a supporting cast of decent MLS level players could end up being a wrecking crew that exposes MLS as a joke while doing absolutely nothing for the league but giving them money the owners won't then be allowed to spend on players.

And you're right- after Inter takes its ill-gotten 2024 MLS Cup, US Open Cup, Leagues Cup and maybe the CCL (if the 2023 Leagues Cup give them a berth), and Messi retires, the hype balloon will bust.

The way to build a league is to allow the owners to pursue talent and allow the supporters groups to protest with non attendance until the owner invests in the roster or sells to someone who will.

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Miami geezers are going to start to break sooner, rather than later, and if Messi still chooses to play for ARG I predict him missing even more games. I think the end of this season was a preview on how next season could go, so, unless Miami gets even more young talent I think they will be hard-pressed to win it all.

falvo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've mostly avoided all the Messi hype, but then the Athletic ran an investigative piece on Messi's bodyguard, who may in fact be way more interesting than Messi himself and allegedly earns $3million/year. An insane level of fandom though.

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, you made me read that article. BTW, they did not confirm the $3M/year salary of Messi’s bodyguard.

But it made me wonder — what other footballer has an on-field bodyguard? I guess if the guy was working at PSG then technically he was security for more than one player during games? Are there other players with bodyguards who get to have them on the touchline?

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter Miami is going to travel to Asia (China and Japan) for a friendly tour. They travel the first week of November. Between this FIFA date and the next one (November 16 and 21).

Source: MLS Moves

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    $$$$. I get it but shouldn't they want to give their players more of a break? Training camp starts in January.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1632 Kaitlyn, Oct 10, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    Technically European teams only have 2 months off, 4 months off is quite a long time for an off season so I understand the move.

I see no difference in European clubs doing summer tours here. We need more MLS teams to do this type of stuff I believe if they're not making the playoffs. Keeps them playing, builds a bigger audience for their brands, gives them a chance to compete with teams in form, and gain some notoriety.

Isn't everything in life about $$?

Golazo69 repped this.
  8. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    If inter Miami went to play friendlies in Asia pre-Messi, there would have been approximately 12 fans in attendance. Nothing wrong with selling out stadiums and raising MLS profile across the globe

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1634 JazzyJ, Oct 10, 2023
    I don't blame them for going after the $, but they're going to have 3 weeks off, then have to come back to training for a bit, and then go on the tour. I know they're going to be going pretty easy but seems like a risk for injuries. With what's happening / happened with Messi and Alba, I'd think they'd want to shut them down for a while. Hasn't Messi been going since August of 2022, almost a year and a half, with a short break late June / early July, including a World Cup, etc?

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's during the same time other teams will be in the playoffs, so it isn't going outside the expected active time for MLS teams.

11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if Total Soccer Show really knows this, but they said Messi’s never had 4 months off in his life. (podcast was before this tour was announced).

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what happened to Messi needed rest and they weren't going to have any tours bla bla bla???

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's like Byrd, Judge Judy's bailiff. That man has a cushy job for real and gets like 500K a year.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They're not raising MLS' profile. They're raising the profile of Messi's team. No one is fooled.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is the owners' one chance to cash in on Messi. They're gonna ride that horse into the dirt.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1641 JazzyJ, Oct 10, 2023
    Oh, it's 1st week of November. I was confused by the dates 11/16, 11/21, but I think those are intl dates. Still, as I said, except for a short break at the end of June, I think Messi's been going since August of 2022. Might be a good idea to give him a longer break, especially given his nagging injury issues. OTOH, if he's going to continue to play for Argentina, he needs to stay game fit anyway...No rest for the weary(!), or for Great Men™!

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1642 falvo, Oct 10, 2023
    Of course!

When I posted the exact same thing a few weeks ago, I received backlash for even suggesting it…

Sep 30, 2023

Sep 30, 2023

I knew they would have a tour as it’s an automatic money maker and now is the time.

There is no reason why they wouldn’t.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    It can be both, even if just to a small degree

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't disagree with you. I guess I left out the part where I don't really care about MLS' profile, beyond what it would take for individual clubs to acquire talent. And raising it a small degree by tilting the whole pitch toward Inter contradicts the stupid parity they obviously want so badly, since they use caps to stop good clubs from becoming great.

Drop the stupid salary restrictions, and the players will get better. Nobody in Europe is going to respect a playoff league anyhow, not really, so the whole "profile" is a nonstarter. I'm an American, and no matter how much I love my club, I will never respect the league because it's a salary-capped cartel. That's fine for American sports, but I watch soccer to get away from that stuff.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beckham had a bodyguard when they played in Oakland - don’t know about Stanford. Guy was not big but ex-SAS. You don’t want to ******** with them.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Apparently Beckham's bodyguard did not want any part of Q though.

[​IMG]

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We needed this (jump to 60 seconds in):

JazzyJ repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Classic.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Report: Lionel Messi will not go on loan from Inter Miami this winter

[​IMG]

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

By the Numbers: 2023 MLS millionaires club

by Soccer America ,

$20,446,667. Lionel Messi's (annualized) compensation (MLS record).
    $15,400,000. Lorenzo Insigne's compensation (previous MLS record).
    -----------------
    114. Players making $1 million or more (up from 91 in May 2022).
    15. Americans making $1 million or more (same as in May 2022).
    -----------------
    7. Seattle Sounders players making $1 million or more (most on any MLS team).
    1. Orlando FC players making $1 million or more (fewest on any MLS team).
    -----------------
    6. Players making $6 million or more.
    1. Players making $6 million or more still in playoff contention.
    Note: Guaranteed compensation. Source: MLSPlayers.org.