Lionel Messi to MLS?.. The Saga Starts Part 1 [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Kaitlyn, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    He couldn't be more arrogant than Alexi Lalas, that guy was a total douchebag with a capital "D".

JazzyJ repped this.
  2. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas was a better defender

Beerking repped this.
  3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope we’re not getting into a Lalas/Doyle sick measuring competition! :laugh:

Beerking repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Chiefs tickets skyrocket up because Taylor Swift attends the games.

Beerking repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wait’ll she breaks up with Travis and writes a withering song about it! :ROFLMAO:

bostero24 repped this.
  6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be #1 in the world for a year, and she will then date Jimmy Garoppolo.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because everyone will complain and blame Messi. :ROFLMAO:

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe she’ll next date Messi and heads on this board will explode…

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Have you seen Messi’s wife !?!

:)

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice try.:)

Kaitlyn repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That would probably result in a messi divorce.

Boysinblue and mjlee22 repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a swift and messi divorce!;)

Boysinblue, JazzyJ and Kaitlyn repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, the first messi divorce wouldn't be swift, the swift divorce would be the next one. :)

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven’t read or found anything about it online but does anyone know if Inter Miami & Messi are going to go on an exhibition MLS preseason tour abroad or would they be afraid of injury?

16. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Wouldn't think so. Why would they?
    Messi at 36 will have the most time off between seasons since he became a pro.
    Next season Inter miami will be playing champions league + I'm sure will want to win MLS cup... I just can't imagine the team risking it, but hey, that's just my thinking.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1542 falvo, Sep 30, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    Who would they?

Obviously for more money.

Can you imagine the revenue they can bring in by showcasing Miami and Messi to sold out stadiums in China, Argentina or anywhere else around the world?

In other news...

[​IMG]

Messi Effect: Miami fans upset with season ticket price hike

by
    Simon Evans ,

[​IMG]

Fans of Lionel Messi's Inter Miami are up in arms after the Major League Soccer club doubled season ticket prices for next season, but the chance to watch the World Cup winner will still tempt many into forking out the cash.

The club, owned by Miami businessman Jorge Mas, brother Jose Mas and former England star David Beckham, emailed fans on Thursday with details of their ticket renewal prices.

This season's cheapest season ticket was $485, but the "Messi effect" means that has risen to $884 for a place behind the goal for the 17 home MLS games. That comes out at $52 per match.

Seats offering a broader view, close to the half-way line with access to a food and drink 'club' area, have risen from $3,600 to $7,650 and there are similar rises for the most expensive seats.

The cheapest season ticket to watch European and Premier League champions Manchester City is $469 with the most expensive costing $1,256, although hospitality deals are separate from season tickets.

At Messi's former club Barcelona, the lowest price for a season pass is $380.53 with the most costly $919.62.

Season ticket holders this season have been protected from the massive surge in single match ticket prices for Miami games prompted by Messi's arrival in July.

Indeed, some have cashed in by selling their season ticket access to individual games on the secondary ticket market for significant mark-ups.

Fans will be able to downgrade their seats to cheaper options if they wish, and a club source said that they have an extensive waiting list for season tickets.

The club are in just the fourth season of their existence and the annoyance is particularly acute among fans who spent years hoping to have an MLS team to support.

Ed Serrano, who was one of the leaders of the campaign to bring an MLS franchise to South Florida, spending years lobbying league officials and holding events to build support, said he knows of many fans who are thinking of not renewing.

"It's crazy. I expected them to go up, but maximum 50%. These guys are just thinking about making money and there is a lot of demand so they think they will get away with it," he told AFP. "Maybe they are looking for just the elite to watch the games and forget about other people. They are going to lose people like this if they continue with this mentality."

New stadium. The club plan to move from their temporary DRV PNK Stadium, in Fort Lauderdale in 2025, to a new site Miami Freedom Park, by Miami International Airport.

The $350 million stadium will be part of a reported $1 billion retail, entertainment, office and hotel development.

That switch to the new home is scheduled for the last year of Messi's $150 million deal with the club.

[​IMG]

A club source said that the price rise reflects the changes on the field after bringing in Messi, along with former Spain internationals Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba, as well as the broader investments being made.

But Serrano fears the cost increase may damage the building of a fan base for the future.

"One day Messi will be gone....they aren't thinking in the big picture. It is the hardcore that they are chasing away and they may never come back," he said.

Some fans who have already been prepared to commit large sums to secure seats are rethinking their approach for next season.

Jeffrey Skatoff of Palm Beach Gardens, who spent over $20,000 on seven season tickets for family and friends, said the renewal price he was quoted saw the total rise to $53,550.

"I liked having seven season tickets. I could give them away or bring casual fans to games, because the price was decent. Now I will probably go from seven season tickets down to two," he said.

Serrano, known among Inter fans as "Uncle Ed'"says that despite his strong objections, he will likely still fork out the money.

"I'm just so shocked by all this. I was contemplating boycotting but I love the team too much and fought so hard to get a team that I can't bring myself to do it".

18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, what did they expect??

19. bostero24

bostero24 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    sf
    Obviously for more money.

Can you imagine the revenue they can bring in by showcasing Miami and Messi to sold out stadiums in China, Argentina or anywhere else around the world?

Falvo, it's why they raised the ticket prices in MLS. No other country moves the kind of money that gets moved in the States.
    Argentina is broke. He'll play one two seasons with Miami & finish his career in Newell's Old Boys...he's already said it. I just don't see it happening.
    Imagine him not getting enough rest then come next season and god forbid he doesn't play in every game because he's 37 and his body won't be able to take 50-60 games in a calenders yr. It'll look real bad, I believe. He signed to play in MLS not in a circus to travel the world.
    Who knows, I might be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Beerking and mjlee22 repped this.
  20. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking and bostero24 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There's a trade-off right? You can afford to get season tickets but the team is mediocre or has not big stars, or you have a really good team with some mega-stars and you can only afford to go to a game or 2. I think most Miami fans would take the latter. They can still go to a bar to watch the games or watch on screen at home.

The optimal for me would be a good team that has rising stars, and where the tickets are still affordable. The Quakes have the affordable tickets part, but not quite there on the good team and rising stars. Not far away though...

bostero24 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  22. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had a (For example) an LAFC-Quality team, sustained contending, and roster with some bigger names would you expect and pay for a higher priced ticket? I would think the demand goes up right?

Beerking repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'd expect a higher priced ticket, and I might pay it because I'm fortunate that I can. But I'm weird in that I kind of like following the underdog team, and cheap when I don't always have to be, and hope that we figure it out one day.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Messi and Alba both out again today against NYCFC. Miami will probably still win. NYCFC is pretty bad this year.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1550 falvo, Sep 30, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2023

Miami as well as the rest of the league must play a preseason, meaningless schedule somewhere.

Unless they invent or change a different set of rules to accommodate Messi where he doesn’t have to participate or even show up, that is another story.

Though, even if he were to hypothetically play 20-30 minutes in each contest or even stand in place without doing anything, those games could very well be highly attended and very lucrative for every party involved.

If he only plays 1-2 more years, the time to milk easy money on his name is now and I'm sure Miami would welcome it.