Hall of Fame Game (8/28) cancelled

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Matt D, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    According to a poster on the New York board, our friendly against the Red Bulls on Monday has been cancelled.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399361

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works for me. What a useless game.

You don't suppose this has anything to do with the argument over Matt Jansen, do you?

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand they wanted to have a steel cage match between Sigi and Bruce at the half. Winner gets Jansen, loser gets Ezra.

4. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I have no idea why there would be a midseason friendly between two teams in such a small league. I think a Hall of Fame game is kind of a cool thing, but just make it a regular league game.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the suggestion of making the Open Cup Final double as the HOF game.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thumbs down for that idea. I'd rather see the USOC grow, not stagnate at a neutral ground where only a thousand people show up to watch every year.

7. LegalBeagle

LegalBeagle Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Springboro, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think it has more to do with Bruce Arena's ego, coupled with a certain recent loss to a certain poorly reputed club.

8. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They obviously knew they couldn't handle us twice in just over a week. I mean, Bruce obviously doesn't want all confidence to be shattered in his lockerroom.

9. mrknowitall

mrknowitall New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    hell
    That sucks i was gonna try to watch that game...i watched your team play against red bulls...not bad...oh bill, rumour is your identity has been exposed...forgot to log-off?i hear its not sitting well with your teammates and esp. coaching staff...careful!!!

10. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Sigi landing on Bruce from halfway up the cage would add new dimensions to "The Agony and the Ecstasy."

11. Blissless

Blissless New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Back in Columbus
    The Bruce complained a lot about the schedule and that his players were tired at the post game. they just had an Open Cup match. I'm sure that's the reason. Maybe the Red Buls should cut back on the pregame caffiene.

12. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good post from NYRB forum - they should have let the winner of this sign Jansen!

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Too bad, they were running a silent auction from Saturday to Monday morning for the right to be the "coach" of the Columbus Crew for the game.

I'm sure Greg Andrulis will be sorely disappointed.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nah, more to do with Bruce waking up at 5:00 am for a 4 hour bus ride to Oneonta and a four bus ride back. That, and Sigi, having to fly coach on one of those regional airplanes from Pittsburgh to Binghamton or Albany. That's a lot of abuse for two seats to take in one day.