RBNY v Crew at Hall of Fame Game Cancelled

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Dante, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife just called me to let me know that the HOF game between the Crew and RBNY has been cancelled. So I called to find out why and they said that they do not know the reason why the teams pulled out, but all of the other ceremonies are still going on.

2. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly because it's ludicrous to have such a game in mid-season? :)

3. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news! With both teams fighting for their playoff lives, that was a needless fixture.

4. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004

I agree that was a very poor programing, but a game is imperative in this ceremonies, becouse the players who are in the are induction process deserve this and more....

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they should do like the NFL and have the HOF game in preseason. Or invite "testimonial type teams" etc.

6. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Great news... Thanks Dante! I was hoping something like this would happen... It kind of sucks for the folks in upstate NY and Oneonta... but these games are often just reserve games in disguise anyway and the play not very inspired. Besides it would have made for 8 games in 21 days for the Bulls which is crazy...

7. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    absolutely having them pre-season would make more sense or have Wynalda play Lalas 1 on 1...

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This game should be the US Open Cup Final, or at least a testimonial game involving former teamtates of the inducted players.....

9. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D love it

10. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yeah, that bites. What with Arena kvetching over a cup tie, I can imagine he had no interest whatsoever in schlepping upstate for an entirely meaningless affair. Too bad, though, as the people upstate deserve this match. The Hall in Stoneonta rocks.

11. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I disappointed that the game is cancelled. I was going to go for it as it's only a two hour drive from here. :(

12. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    they should play this game and let the winner sign Jensen ....

13. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/article.php?article_id=6749

14. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    repped.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess I won't be taking a half a day on Monday. The U.S. GDP just rose by a very slight percentage. Too bad, it is a really good setting on those fields to watch a match up close. I was going to bring my kid's youth team to watch real players play. They really can learn a lot despite it being in essence, a reserve match..

Sort of saw this one coming. Hell, Bruce can't talk to JP and Shep for 30 seconds on TV, there was no way he was going to subject himself to a 5:00 am wake-up call to get on a bus for a 4-hour ride up and a 4 hour ride back.

It would have been funny to watch Lalas put on a RBNY shirt and play in the second half. Or better yet, put him on Columbus and have him try to go up against Peter Canero.

16. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Perhaps he wanted to soil Lalas's induction ceremony?

17. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    Great idea!!!

18. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thank you for being the voice of reason. How about making it the final pre-season game and pitting the MLS Cup Champ vs. the Supporters' Shield winner or the Open Cup champ? Make the Hall of Fame Game like the Charity Shield in England.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that the US Open Cup champ MUST be in the game, because that is the only competition of the 3 you mentioned that is open to teams all over the US, and I think that the HOF game should have one POSSIBLE team coming from a lower division. But yes, that would be the best idea to play in the preseason. This middle of the season stuff is absolutely horrendous.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Fantastic idea!!, except March in Oneonta is really not a good time to be playing soccer.

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Brilliant idea!

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, terrible idea. What happens if the game is Los Angeles v D.C. United. Attendance would be like 300.

I do like the Charity Shield idea, that seems reasonable. Or some sort of alumni game.

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is ridiculous that they have the HOF in Oneonta instead of in a big city. How many visitors does the HOF get each year aside from the annual induction? Put it somewhere where tourists will visit it. I know somehow will bash me for not respecting history, but my answer is that having in Oneonta, a very nice small town in upstate NY, is not promoting the game. Baseball can get away with Cooperstown, also a small upstate town, even smaller, but baseball is the national pastime and people will make the trip.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    A. Oneonta is not a very nice small town. It is bordering on a pit of a small city with some very extremely nice surroundings.

B. Was soccer believed to be invented in Oneonta? Didn't think so, therefore no disrespecting it's history. At least lore has it that baseball was invented in Cooperstown. This just another of the unimportant Halls of Fame in upstate NY. The list includes the Trotter HOF in Goshen, Boxing HOF in Canastota NY and Professional Wrestling HOF in Schenectady.

25. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    This coming from the guy who wanted a major league sports franchise in Piscataway? :rolleyes:

Oneonta has the Soccer Hall of Fame because it has supported the beautiful game with such intensity for such a prolonged period of time. And its not just a matter of ex-pat enthusiasm there. I went to high school nearby and always admired the passion and commitment for the sport in a town stuck in the shadow of Cooperstown. There are lots of touristy halls of fame and museums nearby and there weren't any other towns as desperate for the Hall as Oneonta. Props to the hard-working fun-loving people of upstate NY!

Putting the Hall of Fame in a major urban center would be an awful idea. Oneonta is able to host massive tournaments and make the site a Septic Mecca for the sport.