Group A - France, Nigeria, Norway, South Korea - News and Results [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, May 26, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group A:

6+5 (+6-1) France
    3+2 (+4-2) Norway
    3-1 (+2-3) Nigeria (vs. France)
    0-6 (=0-6) Korea Republic (vs. Norway)

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like the individual threads were a big success so far, although the "group threads" remain useful for general discussion. :) I really like the level of the involvement with this WWC here on BigSoccer!

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I'm curious about is how much rotation France is going to have against Nigeria. Is Diacre going to try and get some of the veterans a breather before the knockouts, or is she going to play the same personnel again to keep their momentum going?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope she plays her starters. I'd like 'em worn down by the time we see them.
    I don't know about this particular group, but in years past, France was not known for their fitness.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From today on, the final games of each group will be played at the same time. It's likely that I am going to check "the other game" from time to time, but I'd like to concentrate on just one match at a time.

While for some groups my decision is already made and easy (Italy-Brazil over Australia-Jamaica; Japan-England over Scotland-Argentina), for some others I have doubts. For instance, guys, what would you suggest to watch for Group B, by a pure "interest of the match" perspective, with no personal attachment actually involved for any team (or better, with light personal attachment for multiple teams in this group)? France-Nigeria or Norway-South Korea?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France - Nigeria, as Nigeria need a point to advance, and Norway will likely easily win v. Korea.

And, just France.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group A:
    9+6 (+7-1) A1.France (vs. 3CDE)
    6+3 (+6-3) A2.Norway (vs. C2)
    3-2 (+2-4) A3.Nigeria
    0-7 (+1-8) Korea Republic

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    As I don't see either Argentina/Scotland(Group D) or Chile/Thailand(Group F) doing well enough in the final matches, I still see Nigeria through to the knockouts. However, an Argentina win over Scotland would put them through, but neither team looks strong enough and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 0-0 draw.

blissett repped this.
  11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    since we're missing so many foreign posters these days, I often check what other english language forums have to say. Here's a lesbian French NT thread. They are absolutely furious with their squad, especially with their coach, the aptly named Deacon(nope, that a nickname, but her real name in English) and as well with Thinney(makes me wonder if our old friend, Debzy, has drifted to over there?). Here's a link, to that forum
    The L Chat -> French Soccer Ladies part 3
    my opinion of the French team is I would of tapt them to be faovrites, until the Deacon decided NOT to pick the leading scorer of the French League, Katoto(which has left me puzzled ever since). That their CB, Renard, is now the leading scorer of their team, is somewhat reminiscent of the home town, Sweden of the 2013 Euros, where their CB, Fisher was their leading scorer. That tourney didn't bode well for them as even though they were favorites. their were eliminated in the semis/. Will history repeat itself? Guess we'll find out

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unstuck as group-play for this group has ended.