Fire Tim Bezbatchenko

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Feb 4, 2022.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he waited until after the guy was hired to start this thread.

2. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I'm in line with this perspective. Last year we had high expectations with the people we brought in and they just simply underachieved. Now we have a bunch of unprovens that must gel with our still strong (but aging) core. Someone not named Miguel Berry better have a career year this year to give us a chance of making the playoffs.

zman31 repped this.
  3. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Pretty sure we improved at forward and central defense compared to heading into 2021.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have any new forwards, so not sure how that's improved. Yes, we did find out during 2021 that Berry can be an MLS level scorer and was an unknown at the start of 2021. We also had BWP coming off a 10 goal season as a spot starter and sub, on paper that looked pretty good and he was expected to give more than Berry did.

CB is potentially better, but based on pedigree I don't agree that the new guy is better than what we hoped Wormgoor would have been. I absolutely am hoping that he is.

As I said, nothing jumps out at me as a definite improvement from where we started last year. We had gotten a couple of vets to add depth to a team that won the cup in '20. They were MLS proven guys and had risks involved but there was no way to say that if they brought 3/4 of what they did in 2020 that they wouldn't be great additions to the team. It just didn't work out that way and they brought zero. I gave Bez the benefit of the doubt on this. It was a risk to bolster a championship winning team, it was a valid idea.

I see nothing close to that kind of expected production from the guys that are new to the roster in 2022. Of course I have not seen a single minute of actual game play from these guys (highlight videos really don't count). Bez may be a genius and i may be wrong and I really want to be wrong.

This time of year I'm usually sunshine and rainbows. I'm struggling to find ways to be optimistic. We're coming off a bad season we've not improved with new players, a decent chunk of the existing players are either still hurt or just returning from major injuries so are an unknown quantity. We have the same coach who circled games and lost 7 straight.

I said this in the roster thread, but I see this team as basically the same as last year. Good enough to squeak into the playoffs if things go our way or just miss out if they don't

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bez said we have the ability to add a DP.

I hope we try to bring in a home run hitter in the summer. Give Lucas creative help that is top shelf.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  6. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    The new CB is faster. That's a major improvement in my mind.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    IMO Bez did a pretty good job for 2020 and 2021. Not so much this offseason. It's not clear how much flexibility the team has with GAM or if Molino's contract is preventing other moves. Without Molino, we could probably have, say Kemar Lawrence and still have an open DP slot. It seems like they are waiting until the summer window to add more talent. It only counts at half price then so maybe we're cap-strapped.

This is still a pretty underwhelming offensive group. Zardes/Berry might get us 25 goals combined. But maybe only 20. No sure things for scoring from the wings. Lucas is deadly on direct free kicks but we can't expect 5 of those again, though 5 from the run of play is reasonable for him. Right now it's hard to see where the 55 goals or so we'll need to make a playoff run come from.

hangthadj repped this.
  10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy out Molino, problem solved.

the_rickler and Salacious Bum repped this.
  11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the Crew ever exercised the league's buy-out option? I don't know how long the one-buyout-per-offseason rule has been around, but I can't recall us ever doing it. Not that that's a bad thing, obviously.

12. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    We have already invested, why not see how he comes back hopefully before the summer transfer window and then pull the trigger. Money is already sunk.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    goddamnit, chr1st. You’ve done it again. We’re winning the Cup.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    See, here is an interesting thought. Over and over again Haslam apologists have suggested that they have no reason to believe the owners will make the investments needed to better the team. What if the investment needed is acknowledging a sunk cost in order to make the team better? I don’t see this ownership group doing that. I don’t see Bez accepting responsibility for a mistake.

I’d love to be proven wrong.

TRUJDUB21, the_rickler and Kyle Crew repped this.
  15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it’s already sunk. Use that money to get a real DP and buydown a current DP.

His number, if boughtout, doesn’t count against the cap, no consequences.

16. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is he holding headphones to his ear when he’s singing a cappella?

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would be to have the actual music/accompaniment playing so that the timing is correct. But I'm not a concert singer--nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Hang or Bez.

19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you not on Twitter, caption this photo from tonight's Crewsmas Eve event at Land Grant:

[​IMG]

Source tweet

20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on… wait a minute…. The Crew didn’t move to Austin?? When did that happen?!?!?!?!

djtrinidad and hangthadj repped this.
  21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy in winter hat: I’ll give you five bucks if you turn down the goddam volume during pregame!
    Bez: I think you’re mistaken. I’m not DJ Leek.

POdinCowtown, zman31 and Kyle Crew repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    This roster stinks !

we have a rich owner who has big money yet we make no big moves. Need better ST, winger, CB & GK

Porter can definitely get some blame but he doesn’t have a very good hand. Owen Gol is now working against us so we need trade him too !

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  23. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    @chr1st is going to be very upset with you.

chr1st and CybrSlydr repped this.
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew