Fire Tim Bezbatchenko

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Feb 4, 2022.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Some choice words from the roster thread over the past few weeks.

"Incomprehensible.

Inexcusable.

Piss.

David Guzman.

Slow.

Ambition.

My ass.

Traffic Cone.

Furious.

Drink.

Hindenberg."

It's time. No more free rides. #BezOut

Jeffersonian and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is the way to kill time during the off season. Hang, you never cease to entertain.

Anyway, I think it's more likely that Bez will leave us for another team in the next year or two, than that he'll be relieved of his duties in Columbus. He came here with an offer to run the entire organization. Two years in, it appears that has been dialed back to what he's done in the past; running the soccer side of things. Albeit with a fancier title.

If he really wants to oversee the whole shebang - soccer and business - he seems unlikely to be able to do so here. Not that he's proven himself to be good at that job, but since when have senior executives had to be really good at what they do in order to get promoted?

ihateyousomuch and theshark130 repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Principle

Jeffersonian repped this.
  4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how much of this I place on Bez. Porter is the one designing the roster, and Bez is building it to his requirements.

That said, the shine is off of the Wizard of Westerville for me. If he were to go, I'd be pretty ambivalent.

5. focusondev

focusondev Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 15, 2019
    It's early in the morning. Did you mixup Bez with Porter?

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's an interesting take. He's already won a (Covid) Cup here. I'm not sure what else he really needs to accomplish here. Sure, I think he'd like to not have the embarrassment of missing the playoffs again. But I think if he's given the opportunity to spread his wings more elsewhere and be rid of the Haslam albatross, he's likely to do it.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I see them as both responsible. And to the point where Porter is designing the roster, Bez is the one who gave him a five-year deal. Porter's shortcomings are linked to Bez, for better and worse.

Last offseason virtually every pundit said the Crew had improved the team and they went into the season rightfully as one of a few favorites to win the Cup. In hindsight last offseason's additions were not as impressive as originally thought. And this offseason has been a joke. Yes, the shine is certainly gone.

Jeffersonian repped this.
  8. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Never change, hang.

Tobias C, redi44crew and Minnman repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can only ever strive to be the best me, DND.

Jeffersonian, russ, Tobias C and 3 others repped this.
  10. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Be the Bezt?

11. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never change, Hang

hangthadj repped this.
  12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

russ and hangthadj repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Front Office decisions are not influenced by fans on a message board.

Using the roster thread as justification for anything is comical. Using fan opinion for anything roster related is comical.

Now, if we have poor results this year due to decisions like re-signing Eric Hurtado, I'm all in on a new direction in multiple positions.

catfish9 repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with this as far as roster decisions.

But there are a lot of non-soccer Front Office decisions that could very well stand to be influenced by the intelligent & experienced people in the fanbase. And Bez is was the president of the whole organization.

Minnman repped this.
  15. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Porter said he started Berry because he read it on BigSoccer.

Tobias C, LaMacchia and hangthadj repped this.
  16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't the criteria our resident pyromaniac was using in his attempt at garnering attention.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thank you for your time and attention to bring multiple posts into this thread. Pyromaniacs everywhere feel the heat of your love.

18. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you even say you are a Crew fan if you haven't participated in a thread Hang starts that involves firing someone?

russ, ihateyousomuch and catfish9 repped this.
  19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. And I disagreed with his premise to his face, as well.

stanger repped this.
  20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I know several Crew fans who have not participated in hang started threads about firing someone. Some say they aren't as smart and pretty as those who engage in these threads. Some say they are plastics. But not me. We all engage with the club we love in our own way.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's two votes for "Never change, hang."

Polls closed!!!

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there was a lesson learned from last year? Maybe we shouldn't praise or condemn "offseason" moves until the results are in.

That said, this offseason has SUCKED!!!

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, of course. If Yeboah, Igbekeme and Degenek all come in and kick ass, Bez and Porter will look like geniuses. None of these guys broke the bank, after all. We still have cap space to bring in a DP.

I'm just not betting the farm on that being the case. Our hit rate on new (not necessarily cheap; even Mokhtar was acquired using TAM) players has been modest: Mokhtar, Cadden, Wormgoor, BWP, Molino, Accam, Adi, Meram. Of course, lots and lots of players who just failed to perform, but weren't likely to be major contributors. I like Matan's energy, what he tries to do, but in his first year, he didn't manage to actually DO any of it; a lot is riding on his 2022 performance.

Tobias C and zman31 repped this.
  24. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I think Bez has a good amount of roster control but so does porter. Bez buys long-term/sellable players, and Porter signs his favorites that usually stink. This happens with teams that have a transfer committee.

LaMacchia repped this.
  25. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 4 guys we're building a team around that are in the later stages of their careers, we have a "win now" mentality, Zardes, Zelarayán, Nagbe, and Mensah. Bez needs to put the pieces in place to enable us to get the best out of these guys in a year or 2 they have left to play at an MLS elite level.

On paper he did that job pretty decently last year. The pieces were there. It didn't work out and we're saddled with at least one big contract for a player we can't count on to offer much this year (Molino).

I don't know that you could argue that we're better "on paper" now than we were heading into 2021. Right back we've improved. That's the only spot that I can really say for sure. We have a lot of unknowns, but none of the additions have stats from their previous stops that would indicate that they are absolutely better than what we had last year.

Obviously, until these guys come together and start playing some games we can't know for sure. But I just don't see where the improvement is going to come from.

Bez (and Porter) Out!!