Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by scaryice, Aug 25, 2006.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard with the Galaxy right now, since we literally have no one on our roster.

Two things come to mind, though:

1) If no one claims Memo Gonzalez off waivers (or was he just released? he's still on our roster), can we just put him up for the Expansion draft?

2) Jazic will most likely be going to Toronto, but not in the expansion draft. Maybe we'll get a high draft pick for him.

Also, right now the Galaxy has a number of undersized forwards. I could see either Glenn or Enfield on the block.

3. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Naturally a great deal will depend on who TFC is able sign prior to the expansion draft.

For example, if Brennan is signed the need for a right back or right mid will be that much less.

This discussion will be very interesting once we see which Canadians/allocations/discovery picks are being signed.

4. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Brennan is a left-sided player.

5. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Exactly which is why the 'Jazic is off to Toronto' talk seems a little sketchy. Mo seems to like the 3-5-2, he's passed on Jazic once in NYC and won't have space to start both unless one of them plays more centrally. If Brennan winds up Toronto (and he was sitting with Mo at the USL game) I don't see Jazic there as well.

Nice stuff ScaryIce I was going to wait until the Expansion Draft rules come out, but that's some good too-early analysis.

cheers,
    hobbes

6. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Having Brennan does not preclude having Jazic unless Brennan's days as a midfielder have passed him by.

IMHO, some of Brennan's best performances in a national team uniform have been on the left side of midfield.

Unfortunately, I expect that Yallop will be reticent to let Jazic go even if Toronto want him.

I am somewhat surprised other MLS teams haven't tried to sign up other Canadians who will most likely be sought out by TFC. In a competitive enviroment, I would do everything I could to sign Canadians:
    1) to long term contracts to keep them off TFC's roster;
    2) to extract allocations, draft picks, and/or players if TFC really wanted these Canadians.

For example, LA should sign Brennan to a long (2+ years) deal. This would:
    1) keep him off TFC's roster;
    2) provide LA with a good player;
    3) provide LA with excellent trade bait if TFC really wants him badly.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why Yallop would let Jazic go to Toronto after all of the trouble it took to bring him in to LA.

8. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting list. However, unless RSL picks up another GK sometime before then, I don't see Garlick being unprotected. Nolly, our backup, is far from ready to assume the starting job. I would expect to see perhaps Douglas Sequiera unprotected and probably Paul Broome.

9. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    As a future TFC supporter I can only hope and pray that they do not select Sequiera if he is left unprotected. The guy is a pretty good player as evidenced by his play for Costa Rica is Germany but he clearly does not take his play for RSL very seriously. Compare his work rate in Germany versus that for RSL. He is such a slacker for RSL it is embarrassing.

10. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Off Scary Ice's list I expect DC to protect Namoff.

Jamil Walker would be a great pick really. He's not starter material, but great off the bench. Getting a solid bench player (12/13/14th man) from the expansion draft would be good.

Not that I want to lose him though.

11. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Alberta
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey, long-time no chat. :cool:

I agree for another reason. Contractually, I don't see two Canadian internationals fitting well into the salary grid. Both would want decent money to potentially fight each other for playing time. I also don't see either fitting into a traditional 3-5-2 in the back line. Thus, they would be looking to compete in that overlapping left mid position. It wouldn't make sense on the field or against the salary cap.

Good early-bird guesswork Scary Ice, a good read.

12. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure not the best litter, but a few good names there though....
    I'd quickly take:
    DAL-Clarence Goodson
    DC-Bryan Namoff, Jamil Walker if not
    HOU-Zach Wells
    KC-Jack Jewsbury
    NY-Mark Lisi

then maybe a couple from these (depending on what positions Toronto has players from Canada already signed or likely incoming)
    LA-Alan Gordon
    NE-Avery John, Marshall Leonard, Khano Smith
    CLB-Ezra Hendrickson, Chris Leitch, Johnny Walker
    CHV-Orlando Perez, Matt Taylor, Brent Whitfield
    CHI-Floyd Franks, Ryan Johnson, Logan Pause
    COL-Matt Crawford, Luchi Gonzalez, Chris Wingert

13. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998

Great point, I was wondering about the same thing during this summer's transfer window. Now that the deadline has passed with only Jazic having signed with the league, I'd imagine this is exactly the sort of thing that Mo was referring to in the chat about "fighting tooth and nail" with respect to player acquisition.

Not only LA, but several clubs in the league could have stood to benefit from signing a Canadian player that TFC would likely covet. Columbus, for example, could have done with Brennan's services given the problematic left back spot while also getting a head start on building for next season (given Brennan's value to TFC) should they fail to make the playoffs.

As for the expansion draft itself, I think the interesting thing to keep an eye on will be the international players made available. If what Mo says is true regarding only being permitted three Americans, then its almost hard to see the point in even conducting an expansion draft this winter, especially since only one team will be involved. How is that even a draft anyway? Why unsettle a bunch of players by leaving them unprotected when it could prove difficult to even fit some of the players potentially selected onto the TFC roster?

14. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Alberta
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As I understand the musings of TFC brass regarding roster composition (as nothing has been made official yet), permission to have some extra international slots (SI's and YI's) is predicated on a minimum of three Americans. IMHO that could (and I emphasize could) mean the team could fill up every foreign slot with American players if they so choose.

Again, nothing is official, just phone conversations as Mo Johnston so eloquently put it. Still, I can't see MLS limiting Americans under Toronto's foreign player quota. If TFC signed seven or nine or whatever number of Americans (depending on the number of SI's and YI's allowed) I'm sure MLS would be thrilled to bits.

This will all make so much more sense depending on what rules MLS decides upon for TFC's inclusion. I'm hoping they make it public sooner than later not only for TFC's benefit but for those of us geeks who love to dream up lists of players and other scenarios.

15. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I'm not sure the CSA would be....

And IIRC (I may not be), MLS, the USSF, AND the CSA had to be in collaboration with this whole venture, and decided 4 SI slots (no restriction), as well as 3 or 5 extra (only) American slots, in addition to the TI slots. I thought there was something actually released by MLS listing this, around the time TFC was announced, but don't know exactly where it would be.

16. AndrewW

AndrewW New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Alberta
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not sure the CSA would have much to say about whatever flavour the international content consists of, if all parties have agreed to (up to) 11 total international slots (SI's, TI's and EA's (extra Americans)). It seems there will be a minumum three to five Americans. But the remaining eight to six international players could theoretically be Americans as well. Unlikely, but possible. Of course I was musing about this possibility because somebody posted there would be a "maximum" of three Americans which I do not believe is the case from anything I can remember reading.

The only information I read or saw on the foreign content limits was statements by MLSE president Richard Peddie when he talked about the need for the team to be competitive immediately. I don't remember if Garber had anything definitive to say on the subject or MLS released anything official with the announcement of TFC's acceptance into MLS.

Should prove interesting once they get the rules down on paper.

17. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the rest of the SI & YI slots could be used on Americans, or even not used for more Canadians, if really wanted. But actually, maybe it is correct that the 3 (apparently) American slots could be not used, and the roster spots used on Canadians. In that case:

Minimum non-Canadians could be 0 essentially.
    Max Americans = 12 - If all YI, SI, and AI slots were filled.
    Max non-Americans/non-Canadians would be 9 (SIs & YIs).
    Max non-Canadians would be 12, of which 3 would have to be American

Even if not required, I would still expect to see at least those 3 (apparently) AI slots filled though, especially due to the drafts.

And yeah, I wish I could remember where I read about it....somewhere on the MLS website IIRC, when Toronto was first announced.

edit: what I got so far:
    I believe this is the MLSNet article I remembered:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266144
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...12&content_id=48155&vkey=mlscup2005&fext=.jsp
    Further chatter:
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/MLS/chat/2006/08/31/
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332295
    http://www.theonionbag.com/php/boards/index.php?showtopic=16036&st=0&p=273185&#entry273185

Hope that helps...

18. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15506961.htm

Rumour that Greg Vanney of FCD may be available in the expansion draft.

Interesting. Downside is his big salary approx. 240,000. Up side is that he is a solid defender.

It is always interesting to see what big salary players are left unprotected in expansion drafts. For example, you can bet the house that Mathis will be unprotected.

19. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was honestly thinking this a few days ago.

And honestly....

I think this would be good for both teams....FC Dallas has Yi, Goodson, & Moor that all could start next year. Toronto would pick up a defender that still has some years left and is still pretty good. How many big salaries are you going to have anyways? That's the key. Vanney would be a good pickup.

20. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some expansion draft details....
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425097

21. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Consider replacing Wells with Onstad or Serioux or someone else regarding the Dynamo contribution. If the Dynamo leave a keeper hanging out there, I'd assume it would be the ageing and slower Onstad rather than a young, capped talent like Wells. Wells is raw, but Onstad is old. Old is not going away; raw can be worked on. Houston acquiring a GK also makes more sense with a young understudy than with an old spot-holder (and I think if we lost one we'd have to pick someone up). Serioux has played so mediocrely I think Houston would let him go, but his relative youth (compared to Onstad) and recent move to the team would probably make him trade bait rather than someone you just leave hanging, if they were ruthless about it. That being said, his hometown and home situation might garner a favor.

22. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Some KC names that I can see being available.

Josh Wolff - Out of contract. Can't see Toronto taking him.

Eddie Johnson - Yes, the new owners vetoed a transfer, but with his salary coupled with his 2006 season, I doubt Toronto would take him.

Kerry Zavagnin - Lost his starting spot to Jewsbury late in the season, partially due to injury. It wouldn't shock me to see him exposed.

Bo Oshoniyi - Is better than many give him credit, but 2 seasons and 2 5th place finishes may make KC look in another direction.

Shavar Thomas - With KC protecting van den Bergh and Sealy, Thomas may be an SI that goes unprotected. Not a bad defender to take for Toronto if he is available.

If Bliss has the interim tag removed, Jewsbury will likely be protected. He's fairly cheap, and he can play any midfield role.

23. canadatoworldcup

Aug 11, 2004
    Niagara Falls, ON
    when are the expansion draft lists supposed to be submitted to the league?

24. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Wolff is gone to Europe. You don't get transfer interest, get turned down by the league, and then stay here.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Rosters freeze for the Expansion draft today at 5pm EST.

Let the fun begin! :)