Toronto Roster regulations

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by BigKahuna, Mar 29, 2006.

1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Does anyone know if the same rules regarding international players applies to Toronto as to the other teams? While I don't think it would be fair to allow them to be any different than other teams in the league, I can see how it may be a good idea to allow Canadian players to be exempt from taking away an international slot on Toronto's roster. Any word?

2. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do Canadian's take away from international slots on other MLS teams??

I don't think that they do...

3. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canadians on Toronto MLS = Americans on all other MLS teams.

Toronto gets an extra four international spots, so long as those spots are used on Americans.

edited to add--to me, the best solution would be to have Toronto play under the exact rules as every other team, but to open the door for Canadians to be counted as domestic players league-wide. I'm sure Houston would like that rule...

4. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    I think that they do.......if you're going to be sarcastic, know your info.

5. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    is this what you think should happen, or is it what will happen? its an interesting idea. chivas=mexican, toronto=canadian, the next expansion could have a dutch feel or maybe a south american flavor. i like it.

6. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax, I wasn't being sarcastic.

I guess we're using all our slots on Canadians. I didn't know that that was how it worked.

I agree that the regulation should be that Canadian & American players are domestic. All others are foreign, and go from there.

7. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It's based on the information that was provided after the initial announcement last November. I'll try and dig an article out for you.

8. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    cool thanks.

9. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    I'm confused...you mean they get four extra interantional slots as long as they are used on Canadians? That would make sense.

At the end of the day, its an American league for American players so I am not in favor of counting Canadians as domestic players for the whole league. But for the sake of Toronto, I think they could use as many Canadians as they want. I don't think that would give them an unfair advantage.

10. houston_fc

houston_fc Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    No, Toronto will get four extra international slots as long as they are used on Americans.

11. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    To be clear, Canadians will be counted as domestic players on Toronto MLS. American players will be counted as international players. However, Toronto MLS will be permitted to carry four extra international spots, so long as the "extra" four spots are only used on Americans.

I think I've stated it clearer this time....

As for the "American league, should only be American plays" bit...I get where you are coming from. However, I think you have to ask yourself, do you hold that view because you think such a policy is best for the MLS, or because you think that it would be best for USA soccer?

To me, expanding your player pool to include Canadian (actually, I'd likely go one step further and include all North Americans) would make MLS a stronger league, which, in turn, would make USA soccer even stronger--the league would still be mostly made up of Americans, IMO.

But it ain't likely to happen, so it don't matter what I think

12. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes, very clearly. Thanks for that. We should all be able to understand this as stated.

I tend to agree with the earlier post in this regard. MLS was developed for the good of American soccer and obviously it has had an impact and while I certainly agree with you that the league would be the better for allowing Mexican and Canadian content as non-import, I think we will have to wait for an actual Mexican club (or three) and more Canadian clubs before we can push this point.

If the league gets itself into the 30 franchise range, then it will need the expanded player pool.

Maybe so but we're all entitled to our own opinions and your thoughts were well laid out and make sense.

Blizzard