Darlington Nagbe

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 11, 2011.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started this thread back in 2011 but
    [​IMG]

Android Cat, Namdynamo and MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    After what happened to Miles, I don't blame him.

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Milpitas, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Except he refused callups before Robinson's injury...

And as we know following our Yanks, injuries can happen anywhere. Arriola tore his ACL at DCU, Lletget got hurt in that home Honduras game.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not "after what happened to" a dozen other players from Joe Gyau to Lletget? The best way to avoid injury is to stop playing soccer altogether, maybe live in a protective bubble!

[​IMG]

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Because I didn't know about them. If those dozen players got injured doing NT stuff, my statement stands.

Look. Players getting injured for their club is one thing. That's unavoidable. Players getting injured during a meaningless NT friendly/because the manager irresponsibly decided to run his players in the cold after said meaningless friendly is another. Miles didn't need to go, really, but he's young, and young guys sometimes feel indestructible. They're looking forward to that R16 in the World Cupzz. Then we lost Parkhurst.

Maybe we don't choke up the conference final if Miles is out there, maybe we do. But I'd much rather see players be fit for their clubs than not.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    For those of us who are unfamiliar with the history, can someone recount the sequence of events that led to Nagbe take himself out of consideration for national team appearances? Not that a creative 10 fits very well in the current system anyway, but I am curious.

I have the privilege of watching (as a season ticket holder) the player who I believe to be the MLS MVP this year. (He is leading the golden boot race and that is about the fourth or fifth reason why he ought to be the MVP, in my opinion.) Driussi was asked what other players impressed him during his time with the All-Stars, and Nagbe’s was the first name out of his mouth. Now that may be because they play similarly, but still ...

I know we are pretty happy with our MMA midfield, and so am I. But still, Nagbe is an intriguing omission over the last several years. Can someone fill in the blanks for me?

edcrocker repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its a weird one. This wasn't Berhalter ignoring a player. He repeatedly invited him to camps, including the 2019 Gold Cup.
    Darlington Nagbe & the USMNT: Why the Crew star will be watching, not playing, vs. Costa Rica | MLSSoccer.com

dspence2311 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I checked both links. Sounds like it remains a bit of a mystery?

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.He chose to focus on club ball and his family.
    Go stand in front of his house with a sign begging him to come back.This thread should be closed or tacked on to the old one.

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Tough crowd. I wasn’t aware of the old one. Is this a sore subject for some reason? I was just curious.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look,I let you off easy.I could have reported you to the ASPCA...
    ... for beating a dead horse.

CU soccer, Boysinblue and gogorath repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At least publicly, all Nagbe has said is its a desire to spend more time with family.

It seems unlikely that it has to do with Berhalter and the current USMNT staff. I don't believe he's every played for Berhalter. His last cap was March of 2018 with Sarachan as the coach.

The article references other cases like this. Carlos Vela is one. A guy clearly good enough for a national team, but just doesn't want to any longer. Even when a different coaching regime came in.

Berhalter repeatedly invited Nagbe. Darlington kept saying no. I doubt Berhalter is trying any longer. Its been 4.5 years.

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Nagbe's not a 10. He's the very definition of a secure shuttler, a Musah/de la Torre type, though he tends to be a bit more measured in his progression, i.e. he's not going to blaze forward. It's an overstated, but running joke about how bad he is in the final third.

But he's very ball secure, and he would be an asset.

Nagbe likes to be home with his family, and that seems to be the primary driver here. He's turned down call-ups for more than one coach, he turned down a move to Rangers. He pushed to move back to Ohio in MLS, where he's from.

He's repeatedly cited more time with his family as the reason.

I would have loved to have him, though with Musah and de la Torre, it's less of a need today. I do think it is interesting he's avoided the stink of Couva, despite his lazy close out leading to the second goal.

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Fair enough. I perhaps wrongly assumed that every pro wants to play in a World Cup if possible. Maybe it’s just that simple. If so, good for him.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Neither Berhalter nor Nagbe have commented much on the subject. I think it is an issue of the player not thinking that NT time is worth the hassle.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another angle ,Eddie Pope and Landon Donovan prioritized being in their home country over what would have been long and successful European careers.

CU soccer repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait you're the person from this other thread?
    You are just killing it today dude, real top quality stuff... keep up the amazing work!

Are you not aware of the "search" function located in the top right corner?

[​IMG]

russ repped this.
  20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    This seems like something other than a friendly suggestion. My time here did not include these discussions, so I asked. I didn’t realize asking would be at all controversial. Now I know. Won’t happen again.

21. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe, at best, is the 5th or 6th best option at the 8.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klinsmann wouldn't start him so he got discouraged from that point of view, not to mention he didn't like time away from his family.

He tended to slow the team down. That can be useful for some club teams - the term "cooling sauce" is used occasionally as when applied to Tata's Atlanta, e.g. - but it isn't really the best for the national team where we are usually looking for "speed up" players in midfield to make our stars go. McKennie is another example of a midfielder who slows things down. Musah is a speed up player but it would have been best to put some passers around him. It is hard to key on a dribbler and close down passing lanes at the same time. When everybody is a dribbler, as with Berhalter teams, the opposition sets up to stop the dribbler with good effect because there is no passer to give the ball to in order to exploit the passing lanes that open when the dribbler is double/tripled. It works in reverse also. I.e., if everybody is a passer but not a dribbler, the opposition closes down the passing lanes and invites the dribble.

23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he would have been a berhalter favorite.

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You mean he's scored goals? He is on a track to score 100 goals by age of 60. And yes, Driussi is right, Nagbe is good in friendlies. About his similarity to Driussi:
    Nagbe: ............... Min G A
    2022 Columbus 2082 3 1
    Driussi
    2022 Austin FC 2076 16 7

25. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe was horrible in Couva. I bet that has something to do with it.

Yowza repped this.