CONCACAF 2022 U20/U23 Championships Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    While it's obviously a ways off, I noticed that the tournament regulations were published at some point, and the draw is upon us, so why not...

First off, we know some details about the tournament and draw:
    • Location and dates: June 18-July 3, 2022, in San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa, Honduras
    • Draw: Tomorrow! (March 3)
      • The U.S., Mexico, Panama, and Honduras are seeded into Groups E, F, G, and H, respectively (I think the rather odd naming thing refers back to groups from the previous stage but, to be honest, I didn't go back and check)
    • Format: Bottom line, semifinalists make the FIFA U20s and finalists make the Olympics
      • The U.S. and 15 other teams play the group stage: Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago
      • Top 3 from each of four groups join the following four teams in the round of 16: Curacao, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico
    More details on that stuff, including draw/pot details, here:

https://www.concacaf.com/under-20s-...st-for-2022-concacaf-men-s-u-20-championship/

Now, from the regulations:
    • Players must be born between Jan. 2003 and Dec. 2007
    • Provisional rosters can have between 20 and 60 players and must be submitted no more than 30 days before the first match (so, basically, mid-May)
      • These are "binding" in the sense that players on the final list, as well as replacements for serious injury, must come from the provisional list
    • Final rosters must have no more than 20 players (18 field, 2 GK) and must be submitted no more than 10 days before the first match (so, basically, early June)
    One possibly interesting note: All 20 players can be on the matchday squad, but it looks like only 3 subs will be allowed.

The regulations:

https://www.concacaf.com/en/under-20s-men/regulations/

Finally for now, we did have a thread along these lines already, but that one has a bunch of posts in it from the qualifying stage, so to avoid that clutter, a new one seemed to make sense. Here's that thread if you'd like to refer to it:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/concacaf-2022-u20-qualifying-thread.2118179/

Puerto Rico was perhaps the big surprise from that stage of the tournament, overcoming a forfeit to qualify. It also cap-tied Azcona to the DR for this U20 cycle; I have no idea whether it would also disqualify him from a theoretical U.S. U23 team if we were to make the Olympics, but I would guess (and I do mean guess) it wouldn't.

U.S.-specific U20 team discussion:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-2023-u20-thread.2113124/

U.S.-specific U23 team discussion:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2024-olympic-thread.2113842/

TheFalseNine, SCSAutism, ielag and 3 others repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The draw is scheduled for 11 a.m. today, by the way, and will be streamed in various places. I won't be providing live updates! You're welcome!

TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The schedule is also now available:

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/btxbfopm/cu20c-schedulev1.pdf

The U.S. opens with SKN, then Canada, and finishes with Cuba.

If I'm reading things correctly, which I might not be, the upshot from a U.S. perspective is that assuming they finish first or second in the group, their first knockout game is against either Nicaragua or the third-place team from Group G, which could be a reasonably interesting opponent. From there, it would be either (assuming they beat Nicaragua) either the second-place team from Group H or the third-place team from Mexico's group; or (assuming they beat the aforementioned Group G team) either the winner of Group H or Curacao.

At that point, they're in the semis and the U20s. It's too much thinking for me to work out any further scenarios. You do it.

Pl@ymaker and ielag repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The first knockout games could be brutal. If I’m reading it right, the winner of group G gets a fresh Dominican Republic. Looks way better to finish 2nd or 3rd and play against a team as exhausted and beat up as you are.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Group E Winner gets Nicaragua. They might be fresh ... but they could also be rusty.

Group E #2 gets Panama, El Salvador or Guatemala, whoever is worst.

And Group E #3 gets ... whoever finishes second from that crew.

Regardless of rest, that seems like a pretty good draw, and honestly, if we're #3 in our group, I'm not sure we're any good. A just don't know that it's going to matter much.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This format favors a super deep bench for the group play teams. Dealing with cards, injuries…..

Winoman repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    CONCACAF seems to like to throw some wild cards into these formats. We'll see if anything interesting happens but there are certainly some possibilities.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #9 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    The Dallas Cup U19 Super Group final, which is streaming on ESPN+ at this moment -- I'm gonna half-watch, if that, while doing other things -- has turned out to be a CONCACAF YNT affair, pitting Panama against El Salvador. They got past Monterrey and Tigres, respectively, in the semis. We might play one of these teams in our first U20 knockout match.

https://www.dallascup.com/post/sund...ational-team-vs-u20-el-salvador-national-team

Jeremy Garay is with El Salvador here (probably others too but I haven't looked into it) and just nearly scored.

gogorath repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Panama ended up winning 3-1. Both teams coulda scored more.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #11 Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    I haven't looked that closely into it, but there's this UNCAF (Central America) tournament going on right now that seems to be for U19s or at least partly for teams with players eligible for the U20 tournament. The first round of games has already happened and another is happening today:

Puerto Rico – Panamá
    Costa Rica – Guatemala
    Nicaragua – Honduras
    Belice – El Salvador​

https://www.uncafut.com/index.php/o...n-triunfo-el-torneo-sub-19-uncaf-fifa-forward

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is it a cap-tying tournament?

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I doubt it.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I actually suspect it is. El Salvador only took 3 dual Nats to this tournament after having a large number in Dallas. That’s not proof but it raises my suspicion. Hugo Perez took two players from Dallas to his first team Friendly in San Jose instead, supposedly because they didn’t have the proper official documents to represent El Salvador in Belize. That sounds cap tying to me.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I could be wrong, but my sense is that unless something is connected to an "official" CONCACAF or FIFA tournament, it doesn't cap-tie -- for example, those CONCACAF U15 tournaments don't cap-tie, for whatever reason. There aren't any more CONCACAF play-in games at this level because the field is set. I could however see why UNCAF would care more about international eligibility than the Dallas Cup.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Very sound logic. I did hear this was a “Regional Championship” that is recognized by FIFA so I don’t know if that matters.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    El Salvador vs Costa Rica in the UNCAF Sub 19 Championship final on Saturday after 4-1 Costa Rica win over Puerto Rico and ES 1-0 win over Nicaragua. This is El Salvador’s second consecutive final in back to back tournaments. They looked pretty gassed against Nicaragua.

I think if ES can convince enough dual Americans to play for them in CONCACAF U20 qualifying they can make it to the U20 World Cup. They have a nice possession style.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're only a little more than a month out from the tournament starting, I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread.

gomichigan24, Winoman and bballshawn repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Speaking of which -- I guess it's time to start watching for preliminary rosters. They're due no more than 30 days before the first match, I believe, which is June 18. They probably won't all land on the same day. I'm guessing the U.S. will release one but who knows...

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Recent camp roster for the DR:

T&T camp roster:

https://newsday.co.tt/2022/04/30/eve-resumes-tt-u-20-training-four-join-after-us-combines/

Some salt from a Jamaica observer (which notes a semi-recent set of "amateur trials":

1516116354692108290 is not a valid tweet id

Curacao tidbit:

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm probably reading this wrong but it sounds like Mexico has pulled together a small U20 group for a camp that will grow, take some kind of break, and then reconvene, or something.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    The provisional roster (20 - 60 players including at least 4 goalkeepers) is due in one week. Any guesses on when we will see a final roster (trimmed to 20 players including at least 2 goalkeepers)? I hope it is on the earlier side.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Assuming this tweet is accurate, it answers my question - May 23rd

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I kinda doubt that. The tournament rules say the final roster isn't due until 10 days before the games start. That would be early June. Doesn't make much sense to announce it early given the many factors that might affect the coach's choices. (And May 23 seems a bit late for the preliminary roster, but I'm just guessing there.) Maybe the tweet is referring to a camp?

Dough Boy repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999