Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Aimer. Northend Diva, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yeah...that was kind of the point I was making. Luis spitting, not okay. Tab Ramos spitting, not okay. Valderrama spitting, not okay. Ben Olsen spitting, fine and dandy? Did I miss a memo?

If "where's your diaper" justifies spitting, Cobi Jones could probably call in an airstrike against DC Fan.

2. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rack him.

3. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be a colossal waste of time, but we are footy fans, right?? :)

Besides, I love to see the passion and even the voice of idealism that does Cervantes proud. There's room for all, and we need everybody to keep things interesting.

I found the thread very humorous and would like to thank ALL participants for bringing a ray of sunshine to my bleak world where Jaime continues to miss sitters (not babysitters).

SwampThing will rule!!!!
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5018

GM

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were standing by the players entrance to the field. Ben was just over an arm's length away. I would have been able to touch him had I reached out and leaned over the fench. There were no cameras there. The cameras don't reach over there. It wasn't a ploy for attention. I'm from San Jose, and I stand there for every game and harrass the visiting players. It's always tame stuff like the diaper comment. I've had some pretty funny reactions. And I don't mind any of them. It's all part of the game.

However, Ben should not have spit on us. I still don't think that's acceptable. But like everyone else has said, he wouldn't have even done that had he not been taunted. To be honest, I have more respect for the players that laugh at my comments. Cuz in all seriousness, it's meant to be light-hearted. But there have been players who have reacted like jerks. Kevin Hartman implied I was a little boy (I'm a woman) at the US Open Cup game. While that pissed me off at first, it's only fair. If I can dish it out, then I can take it. And he came over after the game and chatted with us. So it's all good. It's all part of the game. The things we say are not meant with hatred for any of the players (except maybe Serna and Carrieri :) ). It's just all in fun as part of being a fan.

5. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

Timmy-

Sure, it's insulting...but since when is that new to BigSoccer? As far your continued petulant whining about the above post being sexist, please point out exactly which one of my insulting comments is specific to the female gender, or was directed at Aimer simply because she's a woman:

Rearend? No...a play on words from her user name. Unless I've been terribly misinformed, guys have rearends too.

Tart? No. See, inter alia, Diego Serna.

Sprayed by miscellaneous fluids of an undetermined origin? No. Does this one really need clarification?

Three strikes, you're out. (Sorry for the baseball reference.)

You complain about how much of what's been said in this thread is sexist, yet you have the audacity to compare insulting someone online to the act of rape. Ludicrous.

Cheerios,

entropy

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

A couple of years ago, when Ammann was a Metrosnot, he had a priceless reaction. Before La Norte began showing up we had random people behind the goal. at one Metro game we were giving it good to Ammann. He turned his head and smirked. Then once play had gone to the other end of the field he dropped his shorts and mooned us. Then he turned around a smirked again. we all laughed hystarically. we still gave him guff but it was toned down and we all had fun, Mike included. Last year when we would call for Rotgen to be fired or Albright not to shoot (watse of time, huh LA?) he would hold conversations with us about it during the game.

7. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone here is saying that Ben responded in a proper manner, or supporting players who spit anyhting on fans. I DO think that everyone here has a problem with "AimHere" the StreetHustlin'Diva coming to these boards and complaining about it. Do we care that you were obnoxious towards one of our players and got spit on? Yes, but only because it might affect whether Ben plays in the next game or not. I am also guessing that "Did you change your diaper?" is not a true reflection of what was actually said. If she wants to get Ben in trouble and have her fifteen seconds of notoriety ("Hey, I was the chick that Ben Olsen spat on"), go to the league office or the DCU front office and complain. Don't come here with your whining, sniveling drivel.

8. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is exactly what was said. That and nothing more.

When he went into the locker room it was, "Make sure you change your diaper Baby Ben!"

As he came back out it was, "Did you change your diaper?" And gatorade game spewing out of his mouth.

That's all that was said.

9. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I wonder if there was a second spitter?

Reminds me of the Seinfeld-Keith Hernandez episode.

"Nice game, pretty boy"

10. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

I don't know your name...so I'll call you Johnny, as in Johnny Cochran. Nice rhetorical trick. It's still sexist in my book. How about meaning and connotation?

Before this gets completely out of hand (if not too late already), I'll be completely explicit:

When I brought up the Jodie Foster movie, I did so to emphasize that defending oneself because you were "baited" is never a defense. Similarly, we cannot defend Ben because he was heckled. For the record, I never once stated that this behavior was on the level of rape. That's crazy talk.

Cheers,
    Tim

11. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. And I agree that Ben was wrong. I also think it was wrong, to a lesser degree, of the victim to come here and call him a classless jerk. It could have been handled privately.

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the grassy knoll

13. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Oh my God...I completely forgot about that episode. That is too funny.

14. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who here has said they are defending spitting on people. Telling the self procliamed Diva she got what she deserved is not the same as defending what Ben did. Sort of like when my 2 yr old gets shoved because he wants to play with someone elses toy. Shoving my child isn't right, but he shouldn't have been trying to take the other kids toy to begin with.

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It not being handle behind closed door is exactly why most people seem to be against both Ben's response and model wanna-be's griping about it here. She has asked for the cheap shots by coming to the United board with this. That is a fact. I had problems with both Meola and Gansler last home game but you don't see me in here or the Wizards boards looking for a shoulder to cry on.

16. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I'll leave it to the committee to decide on the sexism issue, but I will say this, if I had been in SJ I would've appaluded Ben.

That said Ben's response is unacceptable for the other 99.99% of humanity. Bad boy Ben.

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that too. And I told Amy that.

I was just as involved in this as Amy. But I didn't get hit by his spit. And I still have respect for Ben. I like him as a player and I'm glad he's back. In my experiences with him in the past, he's been a nice guy too. He just reacted inappropriately, but in a way understandably. I don't think he's a classless jerk. His reaction was a bit classless. But that doesn't make him a classless jerk.

Anyway, I'm sorry the incident was blown up like this.

All the best to your team and to Ben. I'm kinda hoping that DC makes the playoffs and has to come back to San Jose. It would make for a great game. And Ray was quite an interesing character last season with Miami.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *bows down*

How this thread went 5.5 pages before this reference is beyond me. Bravo.

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

Now this is a fair reaction.

Kudos :) :)

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Re: Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

Yeah, till the Quakes come to town.

21. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Not many here have defended Ben. That's not what I wrote. I wrote we cannot defend Ben. Many have applauded him. Fine.

In the end though, its damn funny now that the Seinfeld episode analogy has been drummed back into me.

22. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Ben Olsen...classless jerk, Ray Hudson...classy guy

Yeah, well I can only say what I said cuz I know DC sucks!

:D

Just had to get that in there.

24. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least it was water and not the goat

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I was too busy working the Bill-Monica angle...

Best line from that episode:

"I don't think the third base coach is waving you in."

Dave