Any Sam's Army action for the Gold Cup matches?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Jul 25, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    C'mon people! I'm only going up to Safeco and I would LOVE to sit with some Sammer's for the matches. Any clue if they are planning a section up there or down in SoCal? I'm holding off on buying my game tix cuz of this.

2. janjan54

janjan54 New Member

yeah, me too... it's my first game and i want it to be fun

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Aloha!

Well if you don't get Sam's Army tix and you want to save a couple of bucks, go check this out (thanks Chiefs!):

http://www.wsysa.com/news/articles/060602-wgcgame.asp

This might be the route I go.

PS--what part of Hawaii are you in? I've got relatives on Oahu and the Big Island. I'm going back next year.

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam's Army for women's games is definitely a DIY venture. I took it upon myself to buy a block of tickets for the last game in San Jose.

I would say find out whoever is responsible for putting on the tournament and see if they're willing to reserve a block of tickets. Because this tournament is not being put on by US Soccer, expect to run into some problems with standing, drums, etc.

I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to any of these games in person (lack of $ and vacation time).

Good luck,
    Guy

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    [​IMG]

Anything new on this? I'd buy a block of tickets and try to set it up myself, but finances prevent me from doing so.

6. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I am glad FearM9 and others have started this thread up again. I can't go because I live in Chicago, have a tiny daughter, and spent a lot of time on USMNT games. Work is tough too, I think you all know the feeling. But there is still time to organize a Sam's Army section in Seattle.

For the Honduras friendly March 2, 2002, they put us way up in the second deck. This followed difficulties at the Gold Cup in Pasadena when a couple of Americans were thrown out of the stadium for standing and showing their patriotic feelings. The high second deck in Seattle allowed us all to stand as much as we liked. But we were too far from the team.

I suggest picking a section behind one of the goals and get the word out to buy tickets there. People who have them elsewhere can migrate because there will probably be empty seat in the sections behind the goals.

The Seattle Sounders Office handled some of the ticketing for the UNMNT game and seemed very organized.

The Seattle Youth Hostel is fantastic. We stayed there in a private room with bath and kitchenette for 80 dollars a night. Dorm beds are around 21 dollars a night:

http://63.70.211.212/cfdocs/hostels.cfm?CITY=Seattle

You can walk to Safeco Field (25 minutes and a lovely walk at that) from the hostel. It is right by Pike Market, one of the coolest places in Seattle.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I meant to ask tc earlier ---

Are the Sounders doing anything for this match? I was on their website earlier today and just scanned quickly through it and saw nothing.

8. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I think we have to try to get the word out in any way we can. I am pretty sure we are going to qualify. But I would like to see a rousing send off. Our Canadian friends did a fine job last week in Edmonton. We Americans must try to do as well or better.
    USA!!

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Canadiens were there to cheer the fact that Title IX had finally arrived up there.

10. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    I'm not sure how involved the Sounders are with this match. I'd love to set up a section myself, but I don't have the cap room on my credit cards and I don't have a day job right now. But I've already got one ticket lined up and will make it for both matches.

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    This is Not a Title IX Discussion

I do hope this discussion is not ruined by hundreds of aggressive posts about Title IX. That topic belongs elsewhere. Here, people are trying to organize patriotic supposrt for the USWNT.

http://mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sea/ballpark/sea_ballpark_seating_pricing.jsp

I think we were in 383 for the Honduras game in March. Sections 131, 132, 133 etc .look to be right behind where the opposing team's goal would be in the first half. This may be the spot for people to organize and congregate.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean aggressive posts like these?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=185691#post185691 - where Tom says women's soccer is OK, but it better not stop the progress of men's soccer

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=184953#post184953 - where Tom says the increase in women's programs is a detriment to men's soccer

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=186199#post186199 - where Tom says women just aren't interested in sports or are not interesting to watch

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=186022#post186022 - where Tom says women are the greatest barrier to men's soccer

I promise not to be aggressive like that.

13. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The airport in Seattle is a long way from the city and a taxi is expensive, something like 70 dollars. There is a shuttle bus that costs around 10 dollars per person. It drops you off 1 block from the hostel.
    People who are really on a budget can buy fresh fish and produce at Pike Market and prepare their own meals at the hostel. There is a big, modern kitchen that opens up into a big common area, where people from all over the world gather to eat and chat.

14. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Lark

I'm gonna try like hell to make the final now. I feel like I need to do something to honor Mama Chastain's memory.

15. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The Lark Ascending

Great post, Guy. Local chain hotels in Seattle often allow 4 people to a room for people who want to share costs. I have not been able to get through to the hostel to posit this question. You can also save money by not eating all of your meals at a restaurant. You can buy stuff at a store and have 1 picnic lunch a day.
    You don't need to rent a car. People can walk and take the airport bus.
    The city is crammed with fun things to do. American fans drank at Kell's Irish Pub on March 1, Honduras Eve, which is near the hostel, Pike Market, and where the airport shuttle lets people off. The new home of the Seattle Symphony is also close, as is the waterfront, with hooting gulls and the smell of the sea in the air in the morning. Very exotic for a Midwesterner.
    Kell's may be a good place to meet. Half the people are there to eat, half to drink. The odds are not bad when you consider it is an Irish pub. By the way, I don't like bars and don't visit Irish pubs as a habit.
    There are good, reasonable restaurants in Pike Market, very charming in some cases. They are too small for a fan gathering, to plan how to cheer on our national side.
    Seattle also has a good Amtrak connection.

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering it's a TFC tournament I doubt the Sounders are involved. I would say to call either Safeco, Tickmaster, or US Soccer and find out who's promoting the match.

It's easier to get a section for friendlies since US Soccer is involved and they actually know who Sam's Army is (e.g the men's Hondo game in Seattle). The trouble organizing a section tends to come when US Soccer is not the group putting on the show (e.g. the Men's Gold Cup in LA). That it's a women's game makes it much more difficult since Army attendance is spotty at best.

My advice would be to find out from whoever's promoting if they'll let in drum's, flags, etc. into the game (be ready to make a case on improving atmosphere, etc, since their reflex response will probably be "no"); then just let folks who want to join in know what section you're in (post the info here, and at the Sam's Army site , I know the person who updates the site, you can e-mail me the info and I can pass it along). You probably won't be able to stand, but at least you'll be with enthusiatic like-minded supporters, and you won't have to shell out your own money on a risky gamble that people are going to show up.

So on that note...
    Anyone planning on going to the final in LA? I think the Rose Bowl expects another WWC final, but I think they're sorely mistaken (I hope I eat crow on this though). I'll probably going to fly into Burbank that morning go to the game and fly back that evening, or the next day (whichever is cheaper). There are South end tickets being offered. I'm thinking behind the goal (section 25 or 26, rows 1-29) should work. If the attendance is as spotty as I think it will be, moving to form a group "shouldn't" be a problem. I say "shouldn't" because it all depends on who's running the Rose Bowl that day as I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

I'll update later as I get more info.

Guy

17. Atlemar

Atlemar Member

Mar 7, 2000
    Olympia, Wash.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this being a CONCACAF venture, I fear the organizer will be something like Inter/Forever (shiver). But I'm willing to start making some calls to find out whether we can get some sort of section. It may just be a small block of seats on the periphery of the existing sections.

Personally, I loved the seats we had for Honduras. They were far from field level, yes, but they provided a great view of both goals.

How many people do you think we can expect?

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well if you end up getting a block of seats within the next few days please let me know. I've been in contact with the Washington State Youth Soccer Association and may buy tix through them instead of TicketBastard.

I'll be flying in from Idaho for the two matches on the 2nd of November.

FWIW...at the All-Star game they were passing out alot of flyers pimping this tourney.

19. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've booked my flight into Burbank the day of the final (11/9, Rose Bowl).

I haven't gotten a ticket yet, nor have I read anything from Sam's Army or US Soccer. If anyone's interested e-mail offline in by the 18th. This is probably going to be as grassroots as it gets. Once I get a ticket, I'll let ya'll know where I'll be.

Guy

20. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    Pasadena Pub Life

Although I'll not be able to make the Women's Gold Cup at the Rose Bowl...for those going out to Pasadena, make sure you hit one of the great soccer pubs in the USA. Lucky Baldwin's in Olde Towne Pasadena. They are great hosts, usually have some futtie on the tellie and have treated Sam's Army well in the past. Have fun and Gooooo Yanks.

There are a bunch of moderately affordable places to stay in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd. Some are family run, but it's a good locale and if you don't mind hoofing a bit, you can get good eats and great brew doggies close by.

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I booked my flight for the 11/2 match earlier this week and also secured a downtown Seattle hotel.

I just heard from someone up in Washington that the 11/2 match has 10,000 tix sold (God I hope she wasn't lying). Any #'s for the other venues?

22. Atlemar

Atlemar Member

Mar 7, 2000
    Olympia, Wash.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Success!

The WSYSA comes through, and Sam's Army will be in Seattle! See the new thread in this area for details!

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link to Sam's Army in Seattle thread mentioned by Atlemar.

I haven't heard much about organizing for the 10/27 match against Mexico. It'd be a real shame for the USWNT to start off with an "away" game at the site of their WWC'99 blockbuster. :(