21 year old Kim Dung-Hyun signed with Braga

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Frank Cunha, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    There is a thread here about the move.

Any news on how much Suwon are getting for him? If they can offload him for a reasonable fee then they've done a good bit of business as he's never really been that impressive. He's got 10 goals in 55 games for Suwon, but the majority of those appearances came from the substitute bench as he was well behind Nadson and Marcel Ortolan (currently at Academica de Coimbra) in 2004 when they won the league, and played a back-up role to Sandro, Nadson, Kim Dae-eui and Itamar at various stages this season. He's also played four times for the Korean national team without scoring, and made his debut just over a year ago in the friendly win against Germany.

In theory his transfer allows Suwon to replace him with someone of far better quality, but there are rumours that Cha's after Choi Yong-soo and the Grandbleu are not happy about that...

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Although to be fair, it should be pointed out that he finished Suwon's third-top scorer for 2005 with 6 goals from 29 appearances. Only Nadson (7 from 15) and Mato Neretljak (10 from 31, and a defender!) scored more.

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think Braga should fire their scouts immediately. All he is, is an overgrown b*stard.

5. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Besides poor finishing and awful first touch, I think Braga got themselves an excellent striker.

Hey, I'll still pull for the kid to do well. He does have the size and that "P" word - Potential.

Maybe a change of scenary in Portugal might be good for him.

6. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How can he be an excellent striker if he can't finish and if he's got bad touch? ;)

Screw Potential, So many Korean strikers have it but rarely does one ever fulfil it.

7. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Sarcasm, my bro. ;)

Braga scouts must've seen something I haven't seen. I can think of so many other players who are better prospect then Kim at the moment but good luck to him in Portugal. He does have the size and aerial ability and I guess Portugal is a good place for him to actually learn some technical skills.

8. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LOL, you guys are hilarious.

In all honesty, I think we're being too harsh on the guy. I don't like him all that much either and I don't know why Braga chose this guy out of all Korean forwards out there but he's still a decent player. Remember, he was one of our best players in the AYC. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he the MVP and the top scorer? That's probably what made his resume look better for him to get a chance like this.

I'll be VERY surprised if he can suceed because I don't think he has what it takes to suceed in Europe let alone fitting the style of the Portuguese league but I really hope he proves me wrong.

Good luck to him although I can name about 20 other Korean strikers who Braga could've chosen over this guy.:D

9. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The club could use him as a battering ram if the Players are locked out of there dressing room :D j/k but yeah serioulsy i dont know why Braga sigend him up though.

10. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    What is this Braga business?

11. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    In Kim Dong Hyun your team is getting a very big, physical striker who still have very good years ahead of him (obviously, as he is only 21 years old). He has won the MVP of the 2002 AYC tournament and was the leading scorer. He was also the part of the olympic team's qualifying campaign in 2004, and he has also had a brief spell with the National team, playing in the 3-1 win over Germany in the friendly (though he played as a wing forward for some strange reason).

His main weapon is his headers, which he is excellent with... I'd say perhaps even best in Korea (anyone remember his header vs Malaysia with the olympic team? Class). That is not saying that it's the only thing he can do, however... he is also a pretty good shooter of the ball and is decent in 1-on-1 situations. His main problem is his consistency, lack of technique and quickness, which I hope he will learn a lot during his stay in the superliga. He is often dubbed "Vieri of Korea" by the fans, and just like Vieri, he's a left-footed player.

Best of luck to him!! :)

12. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Seriously, good luck to him.

13. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

The Braga scouts were obviously toking some powerful shlt.

This guy is pretty much useless.

If you've seen this guy dribble, you've seen Johnny Knoxville in The Ringer.

Lousy finisher, lousy ball control, lousy pace, lousy everything except that he's strong and physical.

He's like Jan Koller without the skill.

14. johlee_99

johlee_99 New Member

May 31, 2003
    Coppell, TX
    LOL. I have to agree. He seems to have the curse of Korean forwards, which is the usual lack of finishing. We can all wish him luck, but he doesn't need luck. He needs finishing skill! I hear that he got his awesome accuracy from attending Ray Charle's and Stevie Wonder's soccer camp.

15. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    either way he sux or not

he signed right?

so lets hope for the best

16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good luck Dung-hyun.

17. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
  18. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We dub him as "Vieri of Korea"??? I think we korean supporters have beer-vision thing going on.

If he's Vieri of Korea, i guess Lee Min-Sung is Nesta of Korea.

I think the guy is useless like soju said.

But being the "patriotic" Korean that i am, i will support him in Portugal. Do i think he's going to suck? Yeah...Will i support him? Like a sl*tty Japanese schoolgirl.

19. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Kim sure does great impressions of Vieri's point blank miss against us three years ago. Too bad he does that almost every game.

Sorry just couldn't resist. :D

Good luck in Portugal.

20. Taejoon Han

Taejoon Han Member

Jun 3, 2005
    hahahahahahaha lee min sung

21. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Heh, well, that was his nickname during his "good" spell in the Asian Youth championships. Back then he was somewhat deserving of that name. Dunno what they call him now though. ;)

He really did have a good performance in that tournament... too bad he contributed absolutely nothing during the World Tournament though (I believe he hit the post against Japan or something like that).

22. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  23. Klogon

Klogon Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    That boy's huge. How tall is he?

24. The Old Lady Hertha