2024 CONCACAF U20 Championship: All Teams & Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    While we're still waiting for the first U.S. camp of the cycle (for '05 YOBs and younger) CONCACAF's pre-tournament is getting under way later this month. Twenty-seven teams are competing for six places in the regional final; the group winners advance.

The U.S. obviously isn't in this. Neither are Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica or the DR.

Some of the team rosters are starting to land and I'm not gonna pretend I know much about them but a few of the groups look interesting. Canada is presumably a favorite to advance but one of its opponents is host T&T. Given the slim margins for error here, might be worth watching groups C and E, too.

https://www.concacaf.com/under-20s-...als-groups-for-2024-concacaf-u-20-qualifiers/

Full match schedule:

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/3vxksa5o/cu20q-match-schedule.pdf

Here's the thread for the U.S. program/pool.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-2025-u-20-player-pool-thread.2125827/

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    These matches start Friday, I believe. I don't know if CONCACAF plans to publish squadlists, but it does appear the roster deadline has passed. Here's a list from PR.

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    One of those names is not quite like the others ... Brayden Barnett?

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    AFAICT, any American can play for Puerto Rico.

6. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Also came across this list today - out of curiosity, I see three Europe-based players in Luis Medina (Belenenses), Daniel Cruz Jr (Villarreal), and Jean Luc Fontana (Granada). Not sure if Jean Luc Fontana is US eligible despite being a US citizen, as may happen in those kinds of FIFA eligibility scenarios - just looked into him now and didn't quickly see anything that would confirm or not.

There could be more throughout the list too, haven't double-checked them all.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TimB4Last repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't want to make much of games I didn't watch between teams I know nothing about, but after the first set of matches -- during which there were a LOT of big blowouts -- maybe a few results could turn out meaningful.

Neither T&T nor Guatemala put up big numbers as hosts despite winning, and Jamaica's Group F might be tight, who knows. Since only one team from each group advances, things might get interesting. Or they might not!

Tracking things here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship_qualifying#Groups

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Some teams have now played two matches (of three or four, depending on the group -- most are playing four). Cuba and host Nicaragua are cruising so far; they play each other on in their final game so we'll see how that shakes out; Guyana got a late PK to tie El Salvador, which maybe opens up that group a bit; host Guatemala is off to a good start, but they haven't played Curacao or Aruba yet; big game tomorrow between Canada and host T&T; same thing with Puerto Rico and Haiti, with the former needing to win.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Thanks for the thread. Group highlights hit my YouTube suggestions and I was curious what this was. In the Guatemalan highlights a Mathew Evans had a hat trick and I thought the announcer said he was with LAFC.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Over in Group F, it looks like Jamaica will advance with a win or a tie tomorrow against Bermuda. But I think theoretically Bermuda or maybe even Martinique could break through depending on what happens.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The huge one tonight is Canada versus T&T......................in Trinidad.

When I was looking for possible upsets in this round, that was one I'd circled.

Canada hasn't come in super-prepared, and the talent advantage might be negated a little bit.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In Group A (remember, these are winner take all groups) host Nicaragua and Cuba continue to look like they're on a collision course.

B still looks funky. Tomorrow's El Salvador-Suriname game should clarify things. If the latter wins, El Salvador's probably in trouble.

Tomorrow's (host) Guatemala-Aruba game should clarify C, though I think even if Guatemala wins Curacao could still take the group with a win against the hosts in the final round.

Canada won D. Not advancing would've been a bummer for a 2026 host.

In E, Puerto Rico needed to beat Haiti, and they were winning for most of the game before giving up an equalizer. Haiti advances.

And in F, Bermuda needs to beat Jamaica today to force tiebreaker stuff.

UniversalAdvice, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #14 Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Jamaica won, so they advance. They went up 2-0 early, then Bermuda scored two second-half goals, then Jamaica got the winner late.

That means half the groups are done. As for what's left, Cuba needs to (and I'm guessing will) beat Belize today to stay alive in A. El Salvador-Belize looks important in B, as does Aruba-Guatemala in C.

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems like chalk all over the board.

I was hoping for a little bit of mayhem.

It seems like the only "Pot One" seed in trouble might be Cuba.

Just down to El Salvador and Guatemala needing to win their games against lesser opposition.

Nicaragua, as a program, does seem to have been making strides over recent years.
    Not totally surprised to see them in position to "upset" Cuba and win that group.
    Their senior team had earned promotion to Nations League Group A, and was then disqualified.

Anyway, that Cuba-Nicaragua game would seem like the most even and compelling of the remaining fixtures.

16. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Some big games tomorrow.

Cuba managed to beat Belize, so they'll play (host) Nicaragua for all the marbles.

El Salvador goes through if they beat (host) A&B, but if they don't, A&B or Suriname could advance.

Curacao needs to beat (host) Guatemala for the latter not to advance.

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's done! And I guess this means I can spot posting here for a while:
    • Cuba beat Nicaragua, going up 2-0 and then giving up a late goal.
    • El Salvador won 1-0 on a second-half goal.
    • Guatemala did the same.
    So those three winners join Canada, Haiti and Jamaica in the finals.

edcalvi, gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  19. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Weird question, but, anyone know why Nicaragua is just so --- at soccer? Never seem to do anything at all in qualification for the WC, horrible Gold Cup history too. They just seem horrible. Population seems to be similar to Panama, Costa Rica, El Salvador etc, but the pedigree is not in the same universe? Do they just like baseball better? They seem putrid :(.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nicaragua is a baseball country and also really, really poor.

xbhaskarx, edcalvi, gomichigan24 and 2 others repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Also too small to be good at both.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from population the major impediment in a lot of these countries is complete lack of financial resources to invest in the game.

A country needs some combination of soccer culture, population, and enough resources to at least somewhat be able to invest in the game. A country like Nicaragua has none of those things.

gogorath and edcalvi repped this.
  23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So a quick guide to Central America. Panama and Costa Rica are at the highest economical and lifestyle levels in Latin America. Population and incomes are similar to Uruguay. The rest of Central America is the lowest in Latin America with economies around the Bolivia level but with much higher crime. Honduran soccer is very notable for playing at a much higher level than their economy per the book Soccernomics.

24. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Thanks for the breakdown. I knew about Costa Rica's status (worked with a lot of Central Americans in the 90's who hated Costa Rican's for what they viewed as Costa Rican sense of superiority) economically, but had no idea why Nicaragua wasn't in a position to compete at a similar level to El Salvador or Panama etc. Thanks guys.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    OK, one more thing: All I've seen about the draw is that it's in April. If you see specifics, let us know!