2004 Intercontinental Cup [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    12/12/04 Tokyo

FC Porto - Once Caldas

1. If you have the irresistible urge to tell us how little you care about this tournament, please do so on this thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152614

2. If you want to howl about big bad FIFA "taking over" the tournament next year, please do so elsewhere (most likely the Conmebol board)

This is a thread for those of us who care foremost about the match. Discuss...

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Once Caldas is already in Tokyo preparing for the match, while Porto still has to play a Champions League fixture. Both teams have struggled this season after winning their respective continental championships (both major upsets), so I have a really hard choosing picking a favorite. Porto has lost several players since the glorious Champions League night vs. Monaco, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened to Once Caldas...

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  5. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    I see from the number of posts that there's lots of interest from both continents in this "huge game" !!!

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    HT: 0-0

Porto has hit the bar, the post, and had a goal disallowed. Nothing from Caldas so far. FCP was definitely the more dangerous side in the first half and is unlucky not to be ahead...

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    FT: Porto wins 8-7 on penalties

A deserved victory for Porto in a game that should've been decided after regulation time. Once Caldas simply didn't do enough today to justify a victory. With that said they defended well and got mighty close at the end...

Congrats to FC Porto, the new World Champion.

PS: two questions (since I was watching in Arabic.) What happened to Baia and why was Diego sent off?

9. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Tks, i think Baía had a muscular problem or something, he was recovering from an injury, probably he wasn´t fit yet, Diego was sent off because of the words he said to Henao, the ref was from Paraguay and when Diego says "toma filho da ********" or something everyone understood lol Portuguese and Spanish are similar in these kind of words...probably this happened because something Henao said to him or just because Diego and Santos were eliminated by Henao and Once Caldas in the last Copa Libertadores.

10. they didnt field a complete team and there midfield was crap and theyre defence was crap even after its great libertadores run

but they were able to keep the team that beat chelsea at bay lol :rolleyes:

this football it doesnt matter who deserves to win it matters who scores the goal once caldas lost by one penalty it was very very close

once caldas only showed initial falshes of the teams great talent but theyve been bad in the colombian league this year and theyre libertadores greats have been injured and are out of fitness and standards they showed greater ability to create the little plays that they did and showed a greater speed than porto overall

also to mention henao did not have a good match they guy stopped bocas penalties he should have easily been able to stop portos in the end the game came very close balh balh blah blah with such a close penalty score its very easy to call this a lottery...

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    LOL

DIEGO E LUIS FABIANO - CAMPEOES MUNDIAIS INTERCLUBES BRASILEIROS DO PORTO!

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that...

Porto cap perfect year:
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/EUSA/fixturesresults/round=1983/match=79186/Report=RP.html

Maniche hails perfect Porto:
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/EUSA/fixturesresults/round=1983/match=79186/Report=RW.html

Porto crowned kings of the world:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=319147&cc=3888

Porto beats Once Caldas to win Toyota Cup:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/12/12/bc.soc.toyotacup.ap/index.html

Interesting, it looks like Japan will host the 2005 AND 2006 CWC (probably has to do with the remaining Toyota Cup contract that ran until 2006.)

13. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Vitor Baia had heart problems or something like that, like he had a kinda of a stroke? any news?

14. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    And why did Once have their sponsers blacked out?

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I think FIFA told them to black it out :confused:

16. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Seems pointless. Didn't Porto have theirs still on there? And didn't Once have one sponser on the front of the shirt?

I know FIFA has rules about advertisement and how much can be on the shirts. Since this seemed to be a semi-important thing, I guess that's why they made them black it out. Comments?

17. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I remember that South Melbourne had to change their shirts at the first world club championship due to the number of shirt sponsors they had, then again given the way the game here was run at the time three or so shirt sponsors would probably cover the cost of the team kit only.
    Thankfully the Toyota Cup is now behind us, role on the World Club Championship Toyota Cup.
    SwissGCZ, having done a “tour of duty” in the middle east I remember the difficulties of watching sporting events in Arabic, it can bring home just what an incomprehensible world we all live in, except the universal "goooooaaall!"

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The problem for me in Dubai (great city, love it) is that everybody speaks English, so I haven't really been "forced" yet to learn Arabic. I will try however (...don't want to be the ignorant European.)

Any news on Baia?

19. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Yes, you´re right he had an "taquicardia" , some "tension break down"(spl?), so 1 hour after being retired from the pitch he was back to celebrate, he is fine again and wiht his 27th title on the pocket, the most titled player :)

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That's good to know...

Porto beat Once Caldas to win Intercontinental Cup:
    http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,104700,00.html?articleid=104700

Carlos Bianchi: "self-belief in the face of adversity":
    http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,104701,00.html?articleid=104701

21. fact porto can buy players to replace there wanting ones colombian once caldas really cant but they did good either way against the mean rich team

22. bora bora

bora bora New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Brisbane
    the only reason porto could buy many players is because they sold half of their players for huge funds

FC PORTO: 2 goals disallowed, 5 times post
    ONCE CALDAS: 11 men in penalty area

yep, caldas did realy well, didnt they :D

23. yeah thats how caldas always plays what did you expect they did excellent

did you even watch the ********ing libertadores you unckle********er?

they won the whole competition that way and deserved to if they can do that they win thats football get a life and go ******** yourself bitch

24. bora bora

bora bora New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Brisbane
    so they always play to lose?

and they always concede many goals, but they pay the ref to disallow them?