Does anybody care about the Toyota Cup?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by The Potter, Nov 23, 2004.

1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I certainly dont and until viditing these boards I had forgot all about it.

Because lets be honest how important is a pre-season friendly in a nuetral country far, far away.

Even the Charity Shield gets more love.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    In Europe it is about as relevant as the European super cup .Its considered to be a major trophy in South america though.

3. considering libertadores winners hold 9 intercontinental trophies the competition is much better then the champions league

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Dont we have to care for it to be a meaningful barometer

And second have'nt UEFA done better than S.America in the past 6 or 7 years??

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is almost like a South American cup. Of course, you have the South American champions. And then you have the European Champions, who most of the time will have a bunch of South American players on their team.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In the grand scale of things, it is not important.

7. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    I think its important.....

When RIver plays in it :)

8. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In todays MODERN soccer The Copa Intercontiental is NOT as important as in the 1960's to 1990's.

South America holds an advatage of Europe. AND WILL ALWAYS HOLD IT.

This year will be the FINAL Copa Intercontiental between Porto and Once Caldas of Colombia...

In 2006 we will be introduced to the FIFA World Club Cup... WHICH WILL RECONIZE THE WINNERS OF THE COPA INTERCONTIENTAL as former champions...

so in reguards to your post IT's VERY IMPORTANT. At least in South America, and Italy, where it is a MUST win...

But most of Europe, when they lose the match, claim it to be un important.

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Posted this in another thread and thought it might be worht mentioning here.

South America has 22 wins in the Toyoto Cup, Europe 20 - hardly convincing, especially when you consider that on 5 occassions the European Champions declined to take part and the runners-up competed. Instead of Ajax in 71 we has Panathaniakos and in 73 Juventus. 74 A.Madrid instead of Bayern. 77 Borrusia Monchengladbach instead of Liverpool and 79 Malmo instead of Notts Forest. That's 4 teams substantially weaker than the European Champions.
    The results of those 5 were South America 4 wins, Europe 1 so if we take these out of the equation and look at the actual meeting of European and South American champions we have a record of Europe 19 wins South America 18.

10. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its important for teams that collect hardware, and braggin rights....although it is somewhat more important in S.A. than in Europe, but AC Milan were sad when they lost it last year.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, I care about it. It hasnt reached Champions League or Uefa Cup status in Europe, but the significance has increased in recent years... (definitely higher than the Super Cup)

12. and last year ac milan fielded a full team a couple of people missing because of injuries which is normal in even cups people consider important

13. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    I would like to know why, if it's not important, Europeans keep going to Japan every year!?!

14. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i watch it so fucq you.

thank you.

15. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh

Such as..........

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Well, it's so important that I've never even heard the result of any of the matches.:) I even catch the Super Cup result sometimes, and that's just poor.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I guess you dont look in the right places... :)
    I for one can always find the result in the German and Swiss media.

PS: Have you ever watched an Intercontinetal cup? I have, and the last few were fought quite passionately...

18. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I think its a good trophy to win at least one time, we have done our work before, this year is just another final ;)
    But at the end is just some sort of exhibition game like the European Super Cup.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I disagree. Like I said, if you have watched any of the matches the last few years, you will see that it is not treated like an exhibition... (by either team)

20. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In all the Toyota cup forums. I never heard a Spaniard, Italian, Portugese, French or German mentioned that it didn't matter. It's always the English stating it doesn't matter. Why is this? is it because in the last 19 years only Man U has won the Champion league.. I'm shocked they even know it exist.. That fact is if the players do not respect and honor the shirt they wear and show "PRIDE" for the club in trying to win than why play? Why be a fan of a club that doesn't care.. For the last 44 years this has been the only measure in which to claim a World Champion even if it wasn't stated that way. Now we have to play Wallabe Fc..

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Saying that cup is unimportant to European teams is like the US basketball team saying that the Olympics are not important ---> copout.

The Euro teams have been winning more since the 90's but they aren't completely dominant. The argument that we should take the games with the Euro subchamps doesn't wash because S.A. dominated in those years and would have a great chance against the champs.

22. NitrousOxide

NitrousOxide New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Serravale San Marino

I have also noticed this, the great majority if times it is usually the English. Of course its not important for them, there teams never make it.

23. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Probably i didn´t explain my toughts well, its a game that everyone want to win but clearly doesn´t have the same importance of any other international club level trophy, i have seen several intercontinental finals and some of them were very good but what i don´t like its the meaning of this cup itself, because doesn´t bring nothing special to the teams who play it simply like the european super cup, so it ends up being just a game for the pride.

24. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    These games are great, even when the teams are unknown, or you're like "oh they're not an exciting team" they tend to be great matches. Some of my earliest soccer memories are of seeing AC Milan (ITA) against Nacional (COL) .... a great tense match..

years and years later ... finally saw another one
    Olimpia (PAR) Vs. Real Madrid (SPA).... another great match surprsingly Olimpia made it intersting for most of the match

Last year had
    AC Milan (ITA) Vs. Boca Jrs (ARG).. kinda of boring first 20 mins... but after that WATCH OUT!!! what a great game.....

This year we have
    FC Porto (POR) vs Once Caldas (COL) ... I expect another great match.... can't wait

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah well if a fan goes to the trouble of signing up for a toyota cup forum then they're obviously gonna care about it arent they ,prick??
    I dont think anyone is gonna sign up for a forum specially for the toyota cup and they say that they dont care about it.

You ever seen any fans take to the streets and have wild celebrations in Europe after a toyota cup win??( anywhere in europe) ,in the same way the peasants do in argentina .
    No I dont think so because its not a massive prize in UEFA .
    Sure the UEFA team who enters will wanna win it but I seriously doubt any fans will be heartbroken if they lose .Same level of importance as the euro super cup Like I said .