Utah Royals 2019

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jan 4, 2019.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars 4 players (Naeher, Brian, Ertz, Davidson)
    Portland 4 players (Franch, Sonnett, Horan, Heath)
    North Carolina 4 players (Dahlkemper, Dunn, Mewis, McDonald)
    Orlando 3 players (Harris, Krieger, Morgan)
    Royals 3 players (Sauerbrunn, O'Hara, Press)
    Spirit 2 players (Lavelle, Pugh)
    Reign 2 players (Long, Rapinoe)
    Sky Blue 1 player (Lloyd)

Houston doesn't have any players on the squad and Portland only has 4 players. This seems a more balanced representation of the league.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several other high profile players from the WWC should/need/ought be included too. For example, Aussie Sam Kerr came back from the World Cup and netted a hat trick in her first game with Chicago. Marta commands some attention too.

Allez RSL repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my interest. Portland has 9 WC players all told. Only 4 are in the US Team. My thesis is ESPN’s telecasting decisions probably focus on the teams with the most recognizable players, including those who play for other nations.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fatigue was palpable. Even with the deep bench for the US, only being able to use 3 subs wore on them almost as much as it did Holland. After the PK, you could just feel the game shift dramatically in the US favor. After Lavelle's awesome solo goal (which was on all night but the US tactical approach didn't use that space much at all) the game was over but for the whistle.

Major kudos needs to be given to Ellis in this one. Many criticize her for a lack of tactical prowess (I have) but she made me eat crow in this one. To run through the gauntlet that the draw created was simply amazing. The only game the US didn't feel the better side was against France, and even then the US showed a side that many didn't think they really had.

The next world cup is shaping up to be a really good one. The US will have to phase out a good chunk of this generation and roles will certainly have to change for others. You add in the emerging talent from other teams - especially in Europe - and it makes for a really exciting 4 years.

Allez RSL, RSLer, DrownedElf and 4 others repped this.
  5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 15 is right. After that many games, in that heat, after so much pressure from both sides - towards the end (70' plus) neither Netherlands or the US had much left in their legs, outside of maybe Krieger and some others.

RSLer repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and when physical fatigue happens, mental fatigue is not far behind. With even a days more rest, the US puts 5 on Holland. The end of that game felt like a training session of breakaways for the US. They just handled them about as poorly as you could while still generating a chance. The Holland GK was especially tired - go watch some of the saves she makes in the last 20 mins of the game, her near post is so open you could just pass the ball into it. Dunn's chance, in particular, was just asking for a simple pass in finish to the near post.

All of this is to say that, while adding a sub for extra time is a great move, it still doesn't address the problems of tournament fatigue. Nor does it help with injuries and how those, in my opinion, should be allowed an extra sub.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That fatigue was more pronounced for other teams, who couldn't rest players. The US gave all 20 field players field time, and Rapinoe even got the semi off. The Dutch and others had no such option.

stucknutah, 15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another factor is that the NWSL players were probably more adjusted to playing in hot weather compared to those based in Europe. This heat spell in France only recently started.

9. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's going to be quite a crowd for the 7/19 Royals - Thorns game. There's a $10/ticket-with-a-free-t-shirt offer going around and tickets seem to be selling briskly.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there should be - seven world cup winners will be in attendance, assuming Portland travels their four players.

11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone needs to make a tifo that's just

[emoji294][emoji294][emoji294][emoji294]

rslfanboy, Allez RSL, Ismitje and 4 others repped this.
  12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a deal with YouTube?

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
  16. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That's basically it. Information about the league, a little bit about women's college soccer.

RSLer repped this.
  17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless YouTube is willing to offer a deal with some green involved, it's not going to happen. The league put the games on YT for the first 4 years. The quality was..... varied, to be sure.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Killer stoppage time goal against the Royals, who are about to lose on the road to Sky Blue.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piss poor performances like that don't deserve points. Every single player except Barnhart was terrible.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my problem with Harvey- she is able to craft a fantastic Plan A when she has all her personnel available. When certain key pieces of her roster are gone, either through injury or international duty, she isn't able to create a Plan B to adjust to those absences.

Her Plan A relies on having a creative force to make things happen. None of the players currently available are all that creative.

21. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royals - Thorns game tomorrow night. Should be interesting to see what effect the return of the national team players has on both teams.

Royals are 1-1-3 in their last five games and the Thorns are 2-2-1. There was a piece in today's Trib about Christen Press missing a press conference with Sauerbrunn and O'Hara because she wasn't feeling well or maybe because she didn't want to talk about her relationship with Barstool Sports or maybe we just have no idea.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. Just wow.

Well, here is to hoping the Royals can perform tonight. I have tickets and don't want to pull my typical "is the game over yet" moment in the 60th minute.

23. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I was so hoping to go to this one! However, I got 100club tickets to RSL tomorrow for free, and can't do both.:unsure:

Now that I've got 2 daughters, I'm leaning towards dropping RSL and going full EMBRATSU with the Royals.

goobx1, BlueCrimson and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if Scotland's poor showing in France is affecting Corsie, but she has not played well since returning from the WC. Nearly gave up a golden chance before the Sinclair goal.