Utah Royals 2019

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by 2nd Mouse, Jul 19, 2019.

1. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread might not go anywhere, especially since we're about halfway through the 2019 season, but let's give it a try anyway. I'm sure there are reasons why there are still FCKC and Boston Breakers sub-forums and nothing for the Royals in this forum but...whatever.

Anyway, big game tonight against the Thorns. 15,000 tickets sold as of yesterday, so I think we've got a shot at a sellout. This is the first game with all of the national team players back, for both teams. Temperature at game time should be around 93°, but don't worry, Thorn-sters, it's a dry heat!

Spoiler alert: Royals 3, Thorns 0.

Cheers!

2. Sawedoff

Sawedoff Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Aug 9, 2015
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... someone definitely needs to fix that (sub-forum I mean).

Also, hope you get the sellout. That would be great!

3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wont' be fixed. I asked multiple times last year. Apparently, it's impossible. :confused:

blissett repped this.
  4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    There won't be a Utah forum because there was one guy (out of many) that didn't want the Courage to get their own subforum and he was the most vocal. So now the mods have decided to just leave the NWSL subforums as a weird mishmash where some teams have a subforum even though the activity in that subforum doesn't actually warrant it, while all the new teams since Orlando will have to do without, even if they are the most popular topic of discussion. And in making that decision they also decided to not do anything with the subforums of teams that no longer exist either. Thus making it so there is no work for them to do in the NWSL forums. So you can see why they found the idea appealing even though the vast majority of posters here did not agree.

kolabear repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw Samantha Johnson at the Red Stars game yesterday. Is she not playing for Utah Royals anymore?

6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess another problem could be that there aren't actually mods that are currently appointed to follow the women's boards. We're basically "un-moderated" (or just lightly moderated by mods occasionally coming here from other boards).

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, there is Blaze20, but she can't change the subforums.

9. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it time for Barnhart and Rodriguez to retire?

Not sure what happened to Abby Smith. She had some good games with Boston.

Stengel and Tymrak are not the answer to Utah's scoring woes.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-Rod is Utah's leading scorer this season. Why would you want her to retire after one bad game?

I do think it might be time to consider moving on from Barnie, though. Both of those goals were saveable. And she honestly looks like she's lost a couple steps this year.

Her decision making last season was not great.

Stengel was the Royals' leading scorer last season, and she's been kind of unlucky not to have at least one goal this season.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at Arod's statistics for this season. Utah has a problem scoring and the midfield and the forwards have to take some of the responsibility.

12. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    Arod wasn't playing well earlier this season, but she's been great since the middle of June. She needs to be on the field.

I've long been of the opinion that Stengel isn't good enough, but, to be fair, she absolutely killed it against the Thorns last week. In the right situations, she's a nice piece to have around. Just so long as Harvey doesn't start her every week...

I'll have to agree about Barnhart, though. It's time to give Smith another chance.

13. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Stengel is slow and does not give the team the advantage of her size often enough.

14. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speed is the biggest problem the Royals face, Press notwithstanding.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  15. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Royals - Thorns match tonight. Both teams seem to be playing well and with a lot of intensity. Should be a good one.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf

4h
    Dell Loy Hansen says he will sell Utah Soccer Holdings, which includes NWSL's Utah Royals, MLS' Real Salt Lake and USL's Real Monarchs.

toad455 repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, remember a couple years back when many players were clamoring to go to Utah? Press did not want to go to Houston because she wanted so bad to be in Utah. Samantha Johnson couldn't leave the Red Stars fast enough to go play for Laura H. Players were twittering how they loved playing in Salt Lake City.

Now it seems they can't jump ship fast enough.

That's why I appreciate my Red Stars owner. He may be a single owner, not own an MLS team, have deep pockets, or be a FAMOUS local business man but I know his heart is in the right place, and I have confidence he won't say or do something stupid in this time and age.

Tracer and blissett repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Equalizer
    Amy Rodriguez is the new manager of the Utah Royals FC!
    Her coaching journey started in 2021, thanks to the NWSL, NWSLPA and USSF collaborating to give former players a chance to complete their Class B coaching license.