How to become a HS referee in your state

Discussion in 'Referee' started by voiceoflg, Jul 12, 2016.

1. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Anyone in the NJ area remember the club/HS controversy over the WAGS tourney 20 years ago with the girls? It still hasn't been resolved I see.

2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I tried Googling NJ soccer WAGS. That didn't bring up what I expected. :whistling:

That Cherokee, AremRed and sitruc repped this.
  3. uraxon

uraxon New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Hi there, I’m new here and also want to be a soccer referee. Is this only way how to start up? Through the HS?

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, I believe you can do it through the USSF to do club team games. You can even start doing AYSO games they have or had some kind of on line course.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On concussion awareness does it strike anyone as odd. They have no prohibitions against heading at the youth level either in Germany or in Holland?

6. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    AYSO does not have a fully online course. There is a two part course that is online content followed by an in person component.

Where you start depends on what you want to do and why you want to do it. AYSO is a 100% volunteer model. The good news is they will give you the uniform and (in many areas) have good mentoring opportunities available. But if you want to get paid for your troubles, that doesn't get you very far. (There is a cross-registration process, but you have to advance as an AYSO referee before you can automatically transfer over certification to USSF.)

The best ways to start may vary by location as well. If you post where you're from and what you want to do as a referee, there is likely someone on here that could help point you in the right direction.

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iowa (at least Central Iowa) other referee associations may differ slightly.

Join the local Soccer Referee Association (we assign, you can legally do games, but the local conferences and ADs pay us to assign, and we assign our members.)
    Online open book rules exam
    Watch online rules update video
    Register with USSF
    Register with the Iowa HS Athletic Association (boys)
    Register with the IA Girls HS Athletic Union

Where I work, Freshman games are 2-man, and JV and Varsity are DSC.