CR7 vs Ronaldinho (prime only)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Oct 9, 2018.

?

Who’s prime was better?

This poll will close on Feb 9, 2102 at 7:45 PM.
  1. Cristiano Ronaldo

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Ronaldinho gaucho

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In the Quarter Finals both Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo were distinctly unimpressive (especially Figo who verged on mediocrity for long spells of the game if I'm honest, and I say that as a massive Figo fan); in fact, I would argue that Steven Gerrard was clearly better than both of Figo and Ronaldo; in fact, overall I would also argue that England was significantly better than Portugal was. (Which reminds me: I think that Zidane was DEFINITELY lucky to have gotten this overrated and undeserving Portugal side in the Semi Finals, instead of England which was a more difficult and a more competitive side.)

In the Semi Final vs. France some Ronald fans claim that Ronaldo was good or even great, but for my taste, Ronaldo was all things considered rather ordinary and he had no lasting impact on that game, as you can tell by the fact that Lilian Thuram was the official MOTM in that game, which is extremely rare because defenders such as Thuram virtually never are the MOTM in games where highly rated attacking players (such as young Ronaldo at the time) are widely regarded or perceived as having been good or even great.

Honestly, Ronaldo fans probably even surpass Zidane fans in terms of the grand delusions that they will entertain to maintain themselves in a permanent state/bubble of denial. These guys actually think that Ronaldo was good or even great vs. France, which is plainly laughable in my book.

ko242 and greatstriker11 repped this.
  2. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is correct.

However, in the second half, I must admit though that I did like some of his first touch on the ball. But most of his passes were lateral passes. Only 2 through balls that were intercepted by defenders. A few daring little tricks e.g. 2 heel kicks and a rather good FK that was shot straight in the hands of the goalie.

And then there was that clear dive in the PK area. Good to see that the referee did not buy it.

Overall I say he played a beautiful game but had no impact on the results.

leadleader repped this.
  3. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
  4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that says it all!

"The Mastercard All Star Team featuring the 23 most impressive players at the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ has been revealed - and Italy are the team best represented.

Seven members of the Italy squad that will contest Sunday's Final with France were included in the All Star team, while opponents France and the two beaten semi-finalists Germany and Portugal all contribute four players each. Argentina, Brazil and England - three sides who fell at the quarter-final stage - are also represented in the team.

The Mastercard All Star Team is as follows:

Goalkeepers
    Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Jens Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portugal)

Defenders
    Roberto Ayala (Argentina), John Terry (England), Lilian Thuram (France), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal)

Midfielders
    Ze Roberto (Brazil), Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy), Francesco Totti (Italy), Luis Figo (Portugal), Maniche (Portugal)

Forwards
    Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Thierry Henry (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Luca Toni (Italy)

5. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    #280 ko242, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Not sure. At the top of my head Ronaldinho won 2 WPOY, 2 FifPro Awards, a ballon d'or. With Barca, 1 CL, 2 leagues, and not sure if he won World Club Cup. I think he also won Spanish Super Cup.
    I'm pretty sure Ronaldo won more team trophies with Manchester. He won 1 WPOY. I think 1 ballon d'or also.

I don't know much about other individual awards

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo was a pariah after the England game and Wayne Rooney wink incident.

It is commonly acknowledged that the British media successfully campaigned against him not to win any awards including the best young player award which he was the clear favourite for
    He was booed by French fans in their semifinal encounter and he was booed at every single away stadium he played in the 2006/07 premier league season
    “It seems Ronaldo's antics against England and France counted against him when the judges came to make their decision”
    Fifa technical director Holger Osieck and German legend Lothar Matthäus who was a patron of the award explicitly mentioned his lack of fair play(not his performance) was the reason he missed out on the award.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2006/jul/07/newsstory.sport1

Under pressure and scrutiny ronaldo delivers his best (even the Sweden game arguably one of his best the Swedish fans where chanting Messi’s name throughout in an attempt to put him of his game)

Ronaldo was very arguably his teams best player In both Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006(before his peak)
    And of course let’s bring this back to the subject at hand:
    Cristiano Ronaldo CLEARLY outperformed Ronaldinho in the 2006 World Cup and in fact continued to do so by a much bigger degree in the 2006/07 season

As for the france performance being overrated (I know you never said that but others did)
    Most match reports listed CR7 as being the best player on the pitch

At the very least it is clear he was his countries best performer on the night

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Players who win the WPOTY but not the ballon dor always strike me as being players not unanimously considered the best in the award
    In 2004 it is definitely not certain Ronaldinho was the best player in the world in fact most fans would pick Thierry Henry for guiding his team to a unbeatable league season,scoring 30 league goals and many assists
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/henry-vs-ronaldinho.100005/
    Here are some views posted by bigsoccer posters during the relative time period (not saying it’s conclusive evidence but also don’t dismiss it without reading through)

I’m not sure which calendar year was a stronger case (in 2003 he had less goals but considerably more assists but didn’t win the league)
    He could’ve easily won the ballon dor in 2003 in fact most people think he should’ve included the ballon dor winner himself Pavel Nedved
    “For me, Thierry Henry is the best forward in the world now.
    I am very happy for myself, my wife, my children and country but I don't know how I beat Thierry Henry or Zinedine Zidane."
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....nedved-henry-deserved-to-win-6971310.html?amp

I think of a lot of the voter bias against Henry had a lot to do with their perception of the premier league (it was hardly technical and they struggled in the champions league during 2000-2004 compared to La Liga and serie a)

Shevchenco could win the ballon dor with inferior statistics and performances to Henry because he won the scudetto which in their eyes was clearly harder to do than win the rough and boring premiership
    It is amazing how winning one of even two of these ballon dors would’ve enhanced his legacy perhaps tenfold

8. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do not forget there used to be 2 separate Balon D'Or awards. The old one was European players only. The second one is the one that replaced WPOTY which used to be FIFA and was a world wide award including all players European and non-Europeans.

Todays Balon D'Or is the equivalent (meaning the same) as the POTY award it replaced.

Maradona winning WPOTY in 1986 holds the same value and prestige as Messi/CR7 winning Balon D'Or today

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #284 carlito86, Oct 30, 2018
    I have not forgotten anything mate.ronaldinho won the 2004 wpoty award when he was also eligible to win the ballon dor (but he did not win it)
    Non European players became eligible after 95 and George Weah won the first one

I was merely making the the point that players who won the wpoty award without the ballon dor(while being eligible for both)did not strike me as players being unanimously considered the best in the world in that given year

Ronaldinho won the wpoty in 2004 while shevchenco won the ballon dor
    Ronaldinho finished 3rd in the ballon dor,while shevchenco finished 3rd in the Fifa world player of the year
    Henry finished 4th in the ballon dor and finished 2nd in the wpoty award
    It isn’t an exaggeration to say they were all viewed to be at the same level in this calendar year

Therefore it isn’t really accurate to say Ronaldinho was the dominant player of this year
    It really isn’t the case that Ronaldinho wasnt untouchable in his prime except in 2005(when he won both WPOTY and BD) and was unanimously considered the best player in the world

Cristiano Ronaldo also has a year like that in 2008 and two other years where he was a unanimous top 3 player in the world (2007 and 2009)
    This is of course excluding his Real Madrid years to make it fair to Ronaldinho

It is simply ludicrous to suggest Ronaldinho was so ahead of the competition at his peak
    He did not sustain that level of performance for more than one calendar year (2005)unless we are saying players like Henry and Shevchenko were comparable to him during his prime season

Let’s also not forget Ronaldinho was also not the undisputed best player in the 2006 calendar year
    From January till around April 2006
    he was but his level decreased towards the end of the season
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/esm-xi.html
    and continued to decrease during the 2006 World Cup where he was outperformed by Cristiano Ronaldo(and many other players including Mcnaldo as he was known then)

The first part of 2006/07 is nothing to write about for Ronaldinho and was by this time down the pecking order of best Brazilian players let alone World players(players like Kaká and even Robinho were in better form than Ronaldinho in the latter part of 2006)
    He was also poor in the 2006 super cup 3-0 loss to Monaco and a rift began to appear between him and Rijkaard over his sub par performances,parties and commercials which were beginning to interfere with his training sessions and general performances
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2006/aug/30/europeanfootball.barcelona

The decline of Ronaldinho hasn’t surprised me,” Ancelotti explained. “His physical condition has always been very precarious. His talent has never been in question though.”

Bottom line
    Ronaldinho did not rule for a 3 year span there isn’t anything at all that would be able to substantiate this.
    It was also never a sustained form of unrivalled brilliance over a few seasons(in 2004 he had not separated himself from the rest and in 2006 he was way too inconsistent)
    It is funny because Ronaldinho in his prime did not compete against anyone who would be considered a top 50 all timer
    Henry usually makes top 60-70 and Shevchenko might not make top 150
    Yet Ronaldinho could only clearly outperform these players in one calendar year(2005)
    There was a clear lack of elite attacking players in Ronaldinhos prime with Thierry Henry really offering the only competition
    (Players like zidane,Raul,R9,figo,beckham,rivaldohad declined leaving the way clear for players like Henry and Ronaldinho to dominate)

Actually thinking about it the 2004-2006 period is arguably the weakest period of ballon dor competition in history even weaker than period commencing in 1977 and finishing in 82 with players like keegan,rumminge,resenbrink,Rossi,young platini
    (If maradona,zico,kempes,passarella had been eligible then it would’ve turnt into one of the most competitive eras ever but sadly they weren’t )

Europe and South America really has nothing to offer during Ronaldinho’s prime
    The vast majority of great players that played then were living of past glories including the names I’ve already mentioned and even others like Del Piero,old Dennis bergkamp.

So besides Henry and a Shevchenko who arguably wasn’t even in his prime (his best was in the late 90s and early 2000s) who was left at their prime to compete:
    Totti (very good but not a great player)
    RVN (great poacher but obviously limited in his capacity to influence a match beyond poaching and highly unlikely to win a ballon dor)
    Eto’o (very good striker but Not flashy or creative enough plus he played on the same team as Ronaldinho)
    Deco(very good player)
    Old Dennis bergkamp
    Young kaka (before his prime)

Players like gerrard,lampard,scholes were lacking in technical skills even if their end product wasn’t inferior to Ronaldinho

Generally speaking Ronaldinho was a great but overrated player in a overrated era (nothing even remotely comparable to the competition faced by Messi or ronaldo-the competition being so great you have to split it into tiers of great players

Tier 1
    Xavi

Tier 2
    Iniesta,robben,Neymar,ibrahimovic,Suarez,pirlo,Rooney,Ribéry,busquets

Tier 3
    Modric,alonso,hazard,bale,Cavani,aguero,Di Maria,Sanchez,radamel falcao,kroos,ozil,Higuaín etc

(this isn’t even including defenders or goalkeepers Buffon,Casillas,Neuer,de gea all top 15 all GK time certainly or defenders like vidic,Chiellini,Silva,Ramos,prime Piqué,Ferdinand who were all better than the 2006 cannavaro that beat Ronaldinho to the ballon dor)

Prime Ronaldinho directly competed against one outfield player that would fit into tier 2 (Thierry Henry)
    The rest like gerrard,totti,past it Shevchenko,deco,Eto’o, are tier 3 players in comparison and nothing more

It is no wonder a defender like cannavaro could win a ballon dor in this era because of the CLEAR LACK OF COMPETITION

RamyBt repped this.
  10. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Strange, but I do not remember Xavi having more prominence than Ronaldinho throughout his period at Barcelona, and Xavi had 23-27 years old, so not so young.

Legolas10 repped this.
  11. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Oh come on man. Just admit that Ronaldo was nothing special in the 2006 WC. He scored one goal which was a penalty against Iran and had no assists. He really didn't have a good tournament.

You mentioned 2004 Euro. He scored a meaningless 93rd minute goal against Greece in the group stage. His one notable moment was a goal against Netherlands in the semifinal which was IMO easily the best performance of his international career. He had a good tournament but nothing special when we discuss his legacy in the context of a top 10 player ever.

Honestly you have zero objectivity when it comes to Ronaldo.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #287 carlito86, Oct 30, 2018
    No publication lists his semifinal vs Holland in 2004 as being his best ever even if he scored what was up to that point the most important goal in Portuguese football history
    (Since overtaken by eders winning goal in the 2016 Euro championship final)

Ronaldos best high profile performance is against Holland in Euro 2012 or against Sweden to qualify for WC 2014
    Both rated 9/10 or 10/10 by most sources

Note:
    Ronaldo wasn’t at that stage of his career a player defined purely by goals
    He was according to most spectators the most entertaining player in that World Cup (2006) and definitely in the euro 2004

@Danko look at the touch at 4:47-4:51 ridiculous technique and especially for one at such a young age
    (Btw this his Euro 2004 performance Including qualifiers aged he was 18-19 years old)

“Everyone went crazy about Wayne Rooney (in Euro 2004) but i get more excited by watching Cristiano Ronaldo
    We saw that he plays with his heart too he obviously loves the game so much and was distraught to lose in the final seeing cry nearly got me going too
    The great thing about him is he will not quit”
    George best
    http://www.manchester.com/sport/united/ronaldo-quotes.php

CRonaldo is a champion with a type A winning mentality something that cannot be taught you either have it or you don’t and this was a recognisable trait he possessed from a young age added to his talent and professionalism it makes him almost indestructible as a player

RamyBt repped this.
  13. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    His goal against Netherlands at the 2004 Euro constitutes the best performance of his international career given that it happened in a semifinal of a major tournament and against a very good team.

14. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    You can't have a legitimate and honest football conversation when it comes to CR7.
    All of his opinions come from publications and journalist. And any other 3rd party source to back his claims for Ronaldo's greatness

15. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ronaldinho came 3rd in 2004. That is to say he was a close contender. That is to say he was as good a player as the 1st place that year.

Be aware that these awards measure a players performance over a whole year or season depending on whether it is the Balon or WPOTY and the margin between a 1st place and 3rd place might be negligible at best.

Assume he came at a lower place, lets say out of the top 3, than I would agree with your point that his out of top 3 Ballon D'Or place could suggest anonymously that he wasn't widely and fully considered (anonymous consensus?) to be the best in that year. But in this case it wasn't, cause he came very close.

Having said that, the Ballon D'Or and WPOTY are mutually independent and the verdict of each does not necessarily follow the same consortium, that is to say, not the same jury.

Either way you look at it, it will remain an assumption at best. One cannot hold him missing Ballon while winning WPOTY as a fact that their was an anonymous admission that he was not clear cut the best of 2004

A consensus is not established that way

16. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    The conclusion that Ronaldinho wasn't anonymously regarded as the best footballer in the year during those seasons that he didn't win both WPOTY & Ballon d'Or isn't as complex as you want to make it, irrespective of who judges. Just assume you aren't arguing with @carlito86 and you'll get the point.

I mean even in boxing if one of the three judges votes in opposite to the other two judges the fight becomes either a draw or win by split decision, and that is generally accepted as a sign that the fight was close. Imo that same analogy can be used if a player wins only one of WPOTY or Ballon d'OR, simple as that. And therefore if one claims the winner wasn't exactly a cut above the rest I'll take his claim as valid. Yes there won't be an "anonymous admission that the guy was not clear cut the best" since people weren't voting for that to start with, but it surely means people are highly divided on who is the best player that year, unlike if the guy wins both awards.

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    CR is a undisputed top 10 all timer(no doubt except amongst some diehard Messi fanboys)

His greatness as a footballer isn’t dependent on quotes or match reports as we say over here the proof is in the pudding
    He is the most complete European forward of all time(in terms of technique,goalscoring,assists,big game record etc)

Ronaldinho doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as a player who is one of the most dominant players in football history,a player who singlehandedly rewrote half the all time scoring records

Do you understand that I’m comparing a two to three year phase of ronaldos peak to Ronaldinho and at the very least there is nothing to split between them
    I did not even include his 09/10,10/11,11/12,12/13 seasons where he was arguably an even more complete forward
    I also did not include his 13/14 and 14/15 seasons where he was arguably the most complete goalscorer ever

CRs peak has phases where he is playing different functions and operating in different roles Over 10 years and he is still a top 2 player in the world (sharing the podium with a player many consider to be the best ever)

With all due respect to Henry he would just be one player amongst many great players in this era not a standout one like he was in the weak 2004-2006 era
    (Prime robben,Ribéry 12/13,neymar post 2017,prime iniesta,Xavi,Luis Suarez are all roughly at the same level as Henry but couldn’t win a single ballon dor)

Can you get it in your head Ronaldinho had one worthy competitor in his prime but still couldn’t dominate (losing the ballon dor in 2004 and 2006 in both years it isn’t conclusive at all he was the dominant player throughout even if he won the WPOTY in one of those years-2004)
    Ronaldinho has one calendar where he was spectacular throughout (2005)and two years where he was roughly at the same level as Shevchenko,riquelme and Henry

It is one of the biggest myths in recent football history that Ronaldinho had a 3 year untouchable prime (based on what)?
    5-10 minute YouTube compilations

RamyBt repped this.
  18. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know why you said that but it does imply something there. Let me be clear in that I respect you since I never had any confrontation with you before. How many posts have we between us? Not many. And in the case of Carlito, the only thing you see me do is call him out on his consistent and deliberate contortion of facts and stats, and constant belittling of a player he clearly downplays for personal reasons. I think what he does is unfair and unethical. He is a troll. But never mind.

Except that your analogy doesn't hold when you talk about 3 judges in the same boxing match, following the same rules set by the same boxing association, as oppose to having two separate organisations (FIFA vs France Football magazine) with separate rules and traditions to measure multiple players performances spanning a either whole calendar year or season, the Balon D'Or and WPOTY. Not just one single match as in boxing. But different competions with different level (e.g. UCL, domestic leagues, WC, Euro/Copa) etc.

And what makes your analogy even more weak is the fact that these 3 judges represent the same boxing association and therefore even if each of them come out with votes opposite to the other two judges (like you put it in your post), they still follow the same rules of judgement and they represent the same boxing association. And this is not the case in Balon vs WPOTY award since these are two separate organisations with different traditions and methods

And lets not forget that Balon D'Or has a different timetable as opposed to FIFA. One award covers performance within a single season, whilst the other measures a performance in a calendar year.

boxing judges follow the same rules in one single match. Balon and FIFA follow two distinct rules and tradition spanning either a whole calendar year or season.

Very different to one another.

19. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #294 greatstriker11, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Johan Cruyff was more complete a player than CR7. Cruyff was more technical and had more vision. Cruyff was more all-round a player in an era when referees were less protective and in a time lacking the resources and medical/nutritional treatment (to recover) we have today (as your friend @PuckVanHeel would often say) .

Cruyff made his teams better (Ajax/Barca/Holland), when CR7 had teams build around him.

Cruyff invented new individual technical tricks (e.g. the Cruyff turn) and then his famous "total football" philosophy change global football culture forever. What new technical tricks or philosophy has CR7 introduced other than his usual unnecessary "showboating" feet shuffle which he's known for?

When Cruyff took FK he scored as oppose to CR7's showing off his bullfight matador posture without scoring a FK goal . :rolleyes:

And lets not forget Cruyff's WC74 Golden Ball performance. CR7 can only dream on.

Cruyff was never a stat padder :sneaky:

Legolas10 and ko242 repped this.
  20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What the hell are you babbling about
    Cruyff isn’t a forward,he is a playmaker
    CR is a forward (so is puskas,Eusebio,R9 1997/98 wearing the number 10 shirt wasn’t a coincidence he operated like a playmaker striker,dropped deep into midfield and created chances courtesy of his dribbling skills and good vision)

Romario was a box striker(like Inzaghi,RVN ,huntelaar but with better technique and ball skills)
    Don’t get confused Mr psudeo football expert
    Btw Your “expertise” isn’t required on this thread please apply for a job as a cleaner in the halls of the National Congress of Brazil so you can hopefully meet your idol senator Romario

RamyBt repped this.
  21. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    #296 ko242, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Don't argue with @carlito86. This is bullshit!!! I don't care if I get a yellow card for this. Carlitos is full of shit right now!
    He is criticizing Ronaldinho for being the WPOY but not winning the ballon d'or in the same year, as some kind of evidence that Ronaldinho was not the best player in the world that year.

BUT!!! When Iniesta gets 2nd in Ballon D'or in 2010, and CR7 doesn't get in the top 3, nor does he win ballon d'or then he better damn well admit that Iniesta as a player, was better than CR7 that year! A player Iniesta, who was also recognized as the best player in Europe in 2012. A player so good that he out did CR7 while scoring so few goals and having so few direct assists.

YET!! Carlito will not admit Iniestas greatness as an all time player because he will at that point, point to CR7s play and individual performances to say he was clearly better than Iniesta in a year in which he (Iniesta) was a few percentage points behind Messi in the WPOY. At that point he will say that iniesta only won because of team trophies.

BUT! He will somehow rationalize that CR7 deserved to outdue Messi in 2018 despite Messi's superior performances and give CR7 credit for having 1 great game in a team that won CL!!! When CR7 has no business being in the top 3 in anything!

That's bullshiiiiiitttt!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlito can't be rational when it comes to CR7!

It's a hypocritical merry go round with Carlito. Zero consistency in his arguments

Edit: do you ever wander why @carlito86 refers so much to YouTube videos. He assumes because he watches YouTube videos that everyone does the same. Despite posters like @leadleader, etc. expressing how they watch full games from past years yet we only watch YouTube videos of modern day football. Even tried do discredit leadleader on his opinion on Ronaldinho as if Ronaldinho played some 50 years ago. Everybody on this forum is old enough to have watched all of Ronaldinhos games in his prime. But apparently that's not the case for @carlito86. Who still believes that we are reduced to Ronaldinho YouTube videos because 2004-2006 was so long ago. What kind of logic is that????

leadleader and greatstriker11 repped this.
  22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The problem with your analogy is that iniesta wasn’t even considered a top 3 player in his own league during 2009/10
    Messi and Cristiano were demonstrably better,so were Xavi and higuain

At the 2010 World Cup iniesta wasn’t even ranked a top 10 player but of course it is enough for him to score a winning goal and nothing else and be awarded motm
    (Throughout this tournament he was comprehensively outclassed by players like robben,sneidjer,forlan,Suarez,villa,Xavi even players like Ramos,Alonso and fernando Torres was more instrumental to Spain’s victory)
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/w...ergio-ramos-tops-2010-world-cup-castrol-index
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/30/world-cup-2010-player-ratings
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/2939/c...say-who-is-the-more-effective-player-revealed
    In addition to the above iniestas whoscored rating for 09/10 was below Fàbregas,lampard,sneijder,xavi,Rooney and robben
    Yet none of these players who had comprehensively better club seasons and in the case of robben/sneijder also better world cups made the podium

So WTF did iniesta do to warrant an inclusion in the 2010 Ballon’ D’Or

You my friend in fact have 0% objectivity when it comes to judging Barcelona players
    Iniesta does not have the passing range or vision of players like Xavi,alonso,Fàbregas, just in his own team he can also forget about ozil or riquelme who were experts at the final pass
    Iniesta was known for short passes with the occasional through ball and using his dribbling to advance play
    (He offered nothing in terms of goalscoring,final ball assists,visionary pre assists I repeat there were many less accomplished legendary players who could’ve played his role to a higher degree I have no doubt about this)

It was a complete farce that iniesta made top 3 in 2010 considering he was outperformed by so many players in the 09/10 club season+World Cup
    (Being close to Messi in the 2010 Ballon’ Dor rankings proved nothing in iniestas case it was a Fifa propaganda ploy-they needed a poster boy for Spain’s World Cup victory and who better than Media darling iniesta)

You have no credibility when you talk about ronaldo so take a backseat and listen or at least research your opinions instead of spewing out nonesense
    Ronaldo 17/18 scored 40+ goals and had a higher gpg average than salah,Cavani,Kane and Messi
    15 of these goals came in the champions league and 6 came in the KO stage
    Added to this he scored 4 goals at the World Cup...you are completely deluded if you think he had no place being anywhere near the podium (especially if players like iniesta could make it in 2010)
    He didn’t exactly have a average season.he was still by all accounts one of the best players in the world

RamyBt repped this.
  23. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    The reason I said assume you aren't arguing with Carlito is because you've been arguing with each other back and forth over couple of pages. Naturally that trend can result in any of you ending up arguing each others' points for the sake of it, which will be futile.

This whole argument is mute as the argument made is that irrespective of who are the observers and the "traditional rules" of the awarding organisations, the choice made by these two organisations was not anonymous. It is not as if the measure was over different seasons or Ronaldinho was playing football & Shevchenko was playing baseball. E.g, irrespective of rules of boxing bodies (WBC, WBA, IBF, or WBO) if a boxer wins by knockout/TKO it will be anonymous irrespective of the rules, or if three judges vote anonymously for a boxer it will not change anything as it will still be considered anonymous decision. It is highly unlikely that in a fight that was judged anonymously other judges not involved in the judgement will or were going to vote the opposite, assuming boxing isn't as corrupt as it is.

We all know these differences are negligible when it comes to assessing the players during the season. And surely if in the same year a player is regarded as the best in one of this, and don't follow up with winning the other one, then one conclusion can be made. The decision wasn't anonymous.

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think it is negligible. For example, in a WC/Euro year, a Golden Ball would swing the Balon/WPOTY award easily to the recipient of the Golden Ball. A thing we have seen multiple times happening.

25. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Moving the post again? You weren't specific about playmaker vs forward. You clearly stated "greatest footballer". Moving the post as you always do

Romario again?

You are the greatest troll in European football forum history!

Every time you lose an argument you troll with Romario. We are debating CR7 vs Cruyff, but you have to keep on bringing Romario into the fray as a distraction tactic.

TROLL!

@ko242 @leadleader do you see what I meant now?