2019 - 2020 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by LargeGuyBobby, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Their winless, despite it being, ya know, Harvard.

Obviously, that has *some* recruiting challenges but also a whole hell of a lot of advantages, too.

They should be much better than they are.

This is Pieter Leher's seventh season. He's never won an Ivy League title, never made the NCAA Tournament. And since they cancelled the last couple of games of the 2016 season - when Harvard was on pace to win the Ivy - because of the scandal (that happened before Leher) where the players rated the hotness of the women's team... and created a record of it - they haven't been the same.

Now, that wasn't Leher's fault. But he also hasn't seemed able to get the program back on track.

2013 - 7-8-2
    2014 - 11-4-2
    2015 - 9-6-2
    2016 - 10-3-2
    2017 - 2-10-4
    2018 - 3-13-0
    2019 - 0-10-1

tartSoccerFan repped this.
  2. tartSoccerFan

tartSoccerFan Member

United States
    Feb 23, 2018

They gave the previous head coach a similar amount of time to clean up:

Carl Junot
    2010 5-7-5
    2011 2-12-13
    2012 3-11-3

Jan 2013- Announces resignation : https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/SOM130110CarlResignation

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite frankly, I'm shocked this is the only opening so far this season. Calm before the storm, maybe?

OverseasView repped this.
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Some coaches haven't been informed that they are retiring just yet.

ThePonchat repped this.
  5. Wazzaville

Wazzaville New Member

DC United
    Netherlands
    Dec 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Accompanied son to a soccer camp at Harvard where there was a lunch time discussion with head coach Leher and the players. The culture of the programme was presented in a most impressive manner until someone asked about the team's formation and patterns of play. No one was able to answer the question - players, coaches, no one. Not at all surprised that they can hardly win a game.

CaptainD repped this.
  6. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    They've never recovered from the controversy that cost their team an Ivy League Championship and NCAA Tournament which was just three years ago.. You would imagine massive impact on recruiting. https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/11/4/soccer-suspended-scouting-report-harvard/

8. FourDGlory

FourDGlory New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2018
    WHY IS THEIR A REFEREE IN THIS VIDEO OF 3 YEAR OLDS PLAYING?????

9. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    They are playing for the Toddler World Cup. Do you expect a non-partisan parent to be able to run the lines without bias?

LOL

10. CHIII

CHIII New Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Speaking of, what are everyone thoughts on Grand Canyon? I know Schellas is a great coach but they have a lot of resources and have not performed.

11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Don't you mean Significant Education, LLC, dba Grand Canyon University?

ThePonchat repped this.
  12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    most concerning is that they have had a lot of turnover from 1 year to the next in player transfers. Is there a bigger problem?

13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Almost half the students overall after one year, so there may be something unattractive about the place.

14. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Grand Canyon is the opposite of unattractive. Great campus and a top ten stadium that they fill. Dodgy name though. That can't help recruiting.

15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect the next 7-10 days we'll see the first round of jobs open.

It's not the usual, but to increase WoSo awareness, maybe I'll post the women's jobs here too?

KayJay1 repped this.
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Please don't.

There's a women's college soccer forum. Feel free to post women's soccer content there to your heart's content.

PlaySimple, ThePonchat and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not know this. Never have seen it. I'll look at it.

EDIT: For those who haven't seen the hot seat thread, it's here.

Fitballer and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  18. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Are there any remaining dual coaching posts (men and women)? I remember them being fairly common in D2 and NAIA.

19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Western Illinois - Dr. Eric Johnson (since 2016)

Tons in other divisions.

20. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A little off-topic but the mens team at D3 NYU has a woman HC - Kim Wyant.

This is Wyant's 5th season at NYU and to my knowledge she is the only female coach of a men's team in all NCAA divisions. I am unsure about NAIA schools.

Wyant is 35-32-6 as a HC. NYU plays in the ultra-competitive UAA conference.

https://gonyuathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2025&path=msoc

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gotta think John Kerr at Duke is on this list.

His season ended tonight two games under .500, the fourth time in the past eight seasons he's failed to post a winning record. He's only made the NCAA Tournament twice since the end of the 2011 season (2017 and last year) and this season he finished last in the ACC and was the only school in the conference with a losing record and to not be in the top 50 of the RPI.

I have no idea if the AD or alumnae care enough about soccer to oust Kerr, but he's certainly not a coach who has his program going in the right direction and the past eight years show this is more the norm than the exception.

Fitballer and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  22. CHIII

CHIII New Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That plus the number of assistants that have changed. That can not be easy.

23. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Drexel University?

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is Lev Kirshner's 20th season at San Diego State and they're coming to the end of their third straight losing campaign and seventh in the past eight years.

Under Kirshner, SDSU has had only seven seasons with a winning record and made the NCAA Tournament just three times, lastly in 2016. They haven't won more than 10 games in a season under Kirshner.

This is the program of Eric Wynalda and Marcelo Balboa, the 87 team that finished second in the country, that produced Kevin Crow and Cle Kooiman, Joe Corona, Carlos Menijar, Steve Beitashour, David Quesada and Ted Chronopooulos, all of whom got capped (Menijar by El Salvador, Beitashour by Iran, the rest by the US) at the senior team level.

Hell, throw in Chris Sullivan and Jimmy Conrad, who started at SDSU and transferred and went on to play for the US in a World Cup , to Wynalda, Balboa, Kooiman and Beitashour and you've got six former SDSU players that made a World Cup team.

Besides Beitashour, recently they've produced solid MLS players like Tally Hall and Daniel Steres.

And now a coach who has been there 20 years can't have more than one winning season in eight years?

It might be time for a new direction in San Diego.

25. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Many clubs have come and gone, DA have arrived, huge turnover in youth and HS coaches...could be reminiscent of college football say in the Midwest...as populations shifted, the relationships with big catholic high schools in Ohio and Pennsylvania became less impactful.

Then, the Florida and Texas college coaches had to deal with midwest coaches coming down to get players from their back yard.

A college soccer program that aspires to be top 50 likely needs to recruit across the country and outside the country. Recruiting skill, connections, facilities and budgets likely outweigh past success.