Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    At this point all HC jobs have been filled? Preseason has begun. Good luck to all, and may the odds be ever in your favor--or not.

2. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    You Mocking-jay-me man!!

3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It always seems odd to me that the Hot Seat thread is one of the most popular.

Anyway, I'll make the not so bold prediction that Kentucky will have another miserable season and Ian Carry will be fired at the end of the season.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  4. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    Add Alabama and Georgia to the SEC hot seat (or won’t be renewed club). LSU will turn over.

5. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Would add the following, though I’m in agreement with UGA, UK, and Potentially Bama. LSU, too:
    WMU/Ga Southern, I would guess would open with interims in place.
    ULM (year 4, have been shockingly bad since a solid by program standard year 1)
    Sam Houston (if they care at all, have to make conference tournament. Some in-program turmoil as well)
    Michigan State...if they cared at all. Chaos in that athletic department though.
    Purdue Fort Wayne: again, if they care at all.
    WIU: won’t make a change unless they get their budget sorted. Men’s coach underachieves big time on women’s side.
    Maryland: ???? Have to think it’ll open.
    Iowa state: has to be warm even though it’s relatively early in the tenure.
    Kansas state: big contract, but has underwhelmed, probably won’t turnover

Could open for other reasons:

NMSU...only year two, but I have a suspicion he may look for greener pastures if they don’t turn it this year. They expect quick results.
    SUU...again year two but could say same thing.
    There’s a few others in this category, like NIU, etc.

Interesting if you look at standings. Bottom teams have been bottom teams and stayed bottom teams for most part, a lot of those staffs have already turned over in the past few years. I’m curious who will make big jumps in new staffs and who will continue to be poor and maybe look to get out. I think there will be some shock openings from mid table teams this year either forced or from personal reasons, and maybe less turnover overall? Who knows.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the 2018 season, there were 51 new coaches, representing 15.2% of the teams.

For the 2019 season, there are 39 new coaches, representing 11.5% of the teams.

These include, as "new" coaches, coaches of teams just joining Division I.

7. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
  9. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
  10. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't think that means anything. Has been very bad since taking over. Salary was low to begin with while they paid off previous coaches contract. Now that that is done with, do not think there will be a problem paying this "filler coach" off to bring in someone they think they can get success with (see Miami situation 2 years ago)

They had a good year 2 years ago was it or maybe 3? Wes was smart to get himself a long extension. However, at some point there needs to be some success again or it won't make it til 2021.

We saw a couple years back some long time coaches announce retirements (JMU, Richmond, W&M, Dayton) With Leslie at Washington already announcing this will be her last, are there any others ready for life away from the college game? Duke, Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Michigan State, Texas A&M? Not speculating any of these coaches should, as some are very successful.

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Slightly more palatable version of a ghoul pool, I guess.

12. SnapperG

SnapperG New Member

Manchester City
    Brazil
    Dec 28, 2018

1 year left on his contract after this year

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would add these schools to the list:

Colorado State; Hempen has been told they need to have a good year.

Iowa State; he’s been there long enough to show some improvement but the program still struggles.

Akron; they fired the previous coach who actually did better than the current coach so that seat is hot.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akron, I agree, their direction is negative.

Iowa State, if the AD has been expecting improvement, it hasn't happened, so if that's the expectation you could be right.

Colorado State: According to Massey, they've improved every year at the rate of a little under 20 rank positions per year. I'd say "Stay the course" and see if and when the program starts to stabilize under Hempen before considering a change. This is the same thing I said last year (I think contrary to what you thought then, too), and Hempen rewarded my advice with a 40 rank position improvement according to Massey -- and 49 according to the RPI.

15. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

Supposedly Hempen has said that he’s been told by his administration he must do better perhaps that’s where these rumors have come from? Maybe they’re not true anyway.

I think in the Midwest Creighton must be very hot- they are no better than when he took over. Other schools in the Big East have made changes to become more competitive so got to think a change may be on the horizon.

Rhode Island- getting warm?

Any other schools that may look for a change?

16. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018

17. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019-20 Hot Seat

Akron
    Canisius
    Colorado State
    Cornell
    Creighton
    Davidson
    FIU
    Georgia
    Georgia State
    Grand Canyon
    Holy Cross
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Kentucky
    Lafayette
    Louisiana Monroe
    Marshall
    Michigan State
    Oklahoma
    Pacific (CA)
    Purdue Fort Wayne
    Rhode Island
    Robert Morris
    Sacramento State
    St. Bonaventure
    Saint Peter's
    Temple
    Tulsa

18. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Saint Peters had the highest finish in 20 years just last year. No chance that is hot.

19. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Towson

20. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    No way, she’s only now in her 2nd season and there under funded.

21. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
  22. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    outsiderview repped this.
  23. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

Embarrassing. But shows Kansas State has no interested in their women’s soccer program being competitive. Crosses off a box on the Title IX to do list.

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Towson has a brand new sports center and just renovated the soccer complex and doesn't have men's soccer! So, while they may not be 100% scholarship funded (although they may be now), they are well situated as a campus and in a good conference with state-school tuition. What is true is that KV was a local cheap option as a head coach living right there near campus and not needing the job or income (husband is a lawyer in Angelos firm).
    Point is - they have underperformed for years! I know KV well enough to know I'm not betting a dime on Towson (she was actually fired at Loyola a few years ago). How long will they be average with another coach there? Who knows but it may take 3-4 seasons to figure out for sure she's not the answer.

In the "DMV" region, other than Georgetown and Navy (some say UVA is close enough), the only other school now with an excellent coach imho is Joe Malia at Loyola.

In that area, the big question this year is Maryland. If they finish 8/9 another year in the BIG, will they tolerate that?? The waters are a bit calmer there now so are they going to make some changes?
    American had a crazy up-tlck last year too so that's one to watch as well.

25. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Agree. Towson has been fully funded with scholarships for a few years, fully staffed (two full-time assistants at least) for about 5-6 years now. KV was fired after tanking a pretty good Loyola. A quick look at the stats over the last few years, KVs team has already given up as many goals in first two games this year that GP's team gave up in their first seven in his last season. In her first season, they almost doubled the number of goals-against from the previous year with GP. If the admin actually cared, that seat would be warming up.

I would add in that George Mason has a pretty good coach as well along with Georgetown, Navy & Loyola in the DMV.

Definitely a big year for Maryland. Have to wonder how much time they'll give RL after completely botching the hiring process and seeing some of their top players transfer and most of their recruiting classes de-commit. It's still going to take a while to turn that program around in my opinion.