2018 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't see Katai listed on the Dollar Menu.

2. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Joe in CO and moleman repped this.
  3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way he stays is if we have enough TAM/GAM to pay for him, because no way in hell Andi uses any of his wife's money to sign him.

#TAM/GAM

Mikebsiu and moleman repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Paunovic is such a dick!

“We still have time to decide and we still haven’t decided,” Paunovic told MLSsoccer.com. “So that means that we expect that he can continue with his good performances and literally until the last minute, while we have time, we will make the decision. It’s still not done yet.”

Paunovic, if you haven't decided yet, the only reason for the indecision had better be that you have someone much, much better (Honda) lined up for his slot. He has been the best offensive player for the Fire this season and it really has not been close. His skill and his energy exceeds any other player on the Fire not named Bastian.

Aleksander Katai is not the problem on the Fire.

Here is another reason to keep him, he ACTUALLY wants to be here:

But Katai, whose wife already had several family members living in Chicago before their move in February, is keen to extend his time in a city he has grown to love.

“I like it too much here, I like the US generally, you know,” Katai said. “Chicago is a very nice city, I have family here so it’s very good for me and I am very, very happy here.”

Dax McCarty for Chicago Fire coach.
    He sees things that Paunovic clearly cannot:

"It’s easy for everyone to see that Katai is one of our more dangerous players in the attack, if not our most dangerous player in the attack,” McCarty said. “When we lost David Accam, Katai was a guy that was brought in to replace that production and that danger. It took him a while to get going and now I think you’re starting to see the best of him and how dangerous he can be. He can play on either flank, he’s very good with the ball, he’s very technical. It should come as no surprise. You don’t earn a contract in Spain if you aren’t a good player.”

“So, selfishly, as a guy who appreciates good attacking talent, I would love for him to stay and to keep him,” McCarty added. “All I can say is that he makes us a better team in the attacking third and there’s no question about that.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...aleksandar-katai-makes-case-stay-chicago-fire

These quotes support basically everything that I have been saying about Paunovic on the Career Deathwatch Thread, coming from the mouths of Paunovic himself and McCarty.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/veljko-paunovic-career-deathwatch.2026783/

Joe in CO, Der Stich, goldclover and 6 others repped this.
  5. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how they pony up a transfer fee to keep him here. He will be gone by the end of the month and N-Rod will spout something along the lines of "it didn't make sense to keep him when de Leeuw and Milhailovic are coming back......trust the process you little shits".

Mikebsiu and xtomx repped this.
  6. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    The writing is on the wall. Katai is gone.

xtomx repped this.
  7. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This team honestly doesnt deserve to be supported if they don't sign Katai .

Joe in CO, Der Stich, Mikebsiu and 8 others repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They don't have to sign Katai, but we know they won't sign up anyone as good if he was to leave ... so they really need to keep Katai

xtomx repped this.
  9. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He won’t be kept because there are zero expectations to win a title from the top down. that is what the process is. Spout nonsensical BS, make a token playoff appearance here and there without consequence.

xtomx, loonixxx and chiladd repped this.
  10. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The fact that this is getting press on the mothership makes me raise the likelihood of resigning him from 2% to 7%. I think it also raises the likelihood of us signing a replacement for him if he does leave from 7% to 12%. You better believe NRod is begging the league for some help like he had with Basti.

If I'm NRod and I'm not planning on re-signing Katai, this article pisses me off big time. More likely there's some collusion between MLS and NRod.

goldclover, Pennsylvania Dave and xtomx repped this.
  11. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    NROD is the golden boy of mls, the Fire fans are well and truly boned for years to come.

Pennsylvania Dave and willydonc repped this.
  12. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    you know the joke going around- "joke" in quotes- that if anyone wants to get message to trump, they need to have "fox and friends" say something about it on their show? when i read this, i felt like it was the league trying to get a message through the thick skulls of the fire front office.

Der Stich, goldclover, GHjelm and 2 others repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I disagree about the article pissing off Rodriguez.

McCarty's comments might piss him off.
    "How dare McCarty say that everyone can see Katai is our best offensive player, when Paunovic clearly just stated that Katai is not producing enough. The nerve of that nobody, peon McCarty [team captain]!"

Katai's own comments were probably "shocking" to Rodriguez.
    Sure, Rodriguez says, "everyone wants to play in Chicago," but he meant players like Alan f'n Gordon (who have no other option), not "high priced" players like Katai.

Paunovic's comments are the exact company line. They are setting the stage for the "soul mates" to dump Katai, with the nonsense, "He simply did not provide enough production to justify signing him long term."

As @moleman said, "The writing is on the wall" and they are setting up Katai to be dumped.

It will be an absolute shame, without someone better in the wings (ha!).

loonixxx repped this.
  14. I'm OK with letting Katai walk if they bring in someone equal, or better.

xtomx repped this.
  15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was the first time with this kind of thing happening we might fooled but this has been an ongoing pattern for a decade. We're not fooled NRod. The angry bears are angrier than ever before. Schweinsteiger alone isn't going to save attendance (this appears the worst ever for a season at Toyota Park by my observing with my own eyes) or the team's performance (needs a supporting cast).

xtomx, skinut and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  16. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You mean like...boned with a rubber 'rod?
    PLA.gif

willydonc, bunge and loonixxx repped this.
  17. More like this:
    DA06306D-C351-4987-A354-49BCEA179A42.jpeg

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  18. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Katai is 27 , pretty damn good by MLS standards , and his wife has family in Chicago. His European stock has fallen and his career overseas will see him club hopping for the rest of his career.... Or if he sticks he will likely be playing in some backwater.
    Katai can be a cornerstone for this team for a good 3-4 years. This situation just doesn't fall in your lap regular.

Except... In the fire's 20 year history IT actually does...and the club sure seems to screw it up regularly when it does.

Niko and Katai need to be put on lock down

Jiggly_333, goldclover, rooked and 5 others repped this.
  19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly. Imagine what this team could be if we actually allowed are lower DPs to gain some familiarity, etc.

xtomx repped this.
  20. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    If MacDonald were still around he’d be a powerhouse!

Jiggly_333 and GHjelm repped this.
  21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At a hot dog eating contest.

willydonc and bunge repped this.
  22. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is actually in the duckduckgo image search for Chicago deep dish
    [​IMG]

Joe in CO, Jiggly_333, GHjelm and 3 others repped this.
  23. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I wish I could double rep this post.

Joe in CO, loonixxx and chiladd repped this.
  24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  25. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not - that just makes us a 15th place team with a different winger.

You can't improve your roster by replacing good starters with other good starters.