Q46: France v. USA, 28 June

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 26, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 soccernutter, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    France

[​IMG]
    v.
    [​IMG]
    USA

All due respect to @Gilmoy, I need to start the threads going forward due to the nature of the conversation.

Y'all, please consider your tone in discussion, and that most of you are not regular visitors to this forum. Please lower your hostility and aggression (yes, I have seen it increase). But, I will note that this is largely surrounding officiating decisions. Thus, I have set up a Ref discussion thread here.
    Please take all ref discussions/opinions there.

And, as a reminder:
    Please read the the Mod Warning.

MiLLeNNiuM, Smallchief and blissett repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would of chosen France to win this game, that's untl their coach decided not to pick the either the leading goal scorer of the French League, Katoto, nor the physical player from Barca, Hamraoui.
    So feel that on personnel, it's tilted on the US favor(despite the home advantage). The one thing that will give France an huge edge if this cup has taken on a religious/nationalistic fever in their country on par with what happened with the Dutch in 2017 or in their own country in the men's 1998/ That momentum would definitely carry them through.

It's hard to know whats going on here over in the states/. If I was going to ask my roughly 31 co-workers; only one follows & watched the games, 10 knows it's happening right now, 10 have heard of the WC, the other ten have no idea what a bleeping world cup is!

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well no secret that I want USA out and France to go through :D

Kamtedrejt, Kakeru and blissett repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    could it be cuz, Germany hasn't won a game vs the US since 2003? lol. But I've been pleasently surprised by how well Rose Lavelle is playing, she's finally given the US the type of playmaker that the Germans are more well known for like Maro/Dallman,/Magull

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I see it as a 70-30 for the USA. So unless our girls really put a high performance from 1 to 11, it won't happen. Plus all the variables that you do not control like the opposition and referees.

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think you’re right!
    But that being said it’s also because I want France to do well for once and an exit tomorrow would really not be good for them at all. I did say after the game against Spain that it was good to have them a bit longer in the tournament though

I am afraid that poor Torrent might get exposed tomorrow... :unsure:

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Who are the other starting mids for France other than Henry? Thiney is one? Who else? I'm wondering if that unit is strong enough to beat the U.S.?

I too was very surprised that the French coach to not select Hamraoui for the squad as I've seen her with Barcelona a few times and she is a good player and just the sort of midfielder every team needs--strong defensively, got some size and a tough mentality and can score--scored the winning goal in a Champions League match against Bayern. Oh, well.

I think the big thing for France is whether the come out and play confidently and not let the pressure of playing in France get to them.

One thing I'd do if I were France is to mark Lavelle pretty tightly. She can create problems when she gets the ball in space. I think if the French can play her tough, not give her much space, they can make it hard for the U.S. in attack as I like the French back four v. the U.S. forwards and the French forwards are certainly capable of causing problems for the U.S. out wide. Midfield play will be crucial, as it almost always is.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bussaglia starts alongside Henry. They played 4-4-2 against Brazil with Thiney dropping to the bench. Thiney might come back because the 4-4-2 did not work and 4-3-3 could be back.

Or they go with the whole pace option in 4-4-2 with a front four of Cascarino-Diani-Gauvin and Le Sommer and play on the break. The back 5 does not change Bouhaddi; Torrent, M'Bock, Renard, Majri

Kamtedrejt, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Thanks, Shij: What does Bussaglia bring to the French team? Do you like her play? It's weird that I've seen this France team play a few times but I really haven't noticed her much and don't have a sense of her qualities. She obviously has qualities or she wouldn't be starting for France--but she's not young at age 33.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Eh, I think it's gonna be pretty close to a 50-50 game, depending on what personnel choices Ellis makes. France will be able to do exactly what Spain kept doing, finding through balls and slipping past the US backline, except they'll be better at converting chances than Spain was. Naeher needs to be better tomorrow than she has been this tournament so far, and the US really needs to control the midfield to limit those through balls - plus be better at converting their own chances. If the game looks like the first half of USA-Spain did, then I can see the US winning; if the game looks like the second half of USA-Spain did (and like the January match between USA and France did) then I see France doing a fairly nice carving job on the US backline.

Kamtedrejt and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a US fan, I would be overjoyed to see Thiney in France's lineup. Her play has been poor. Quite frankly, she's a liability for them.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure this game is calling for Lavelle to start. For me the optimal midfield 3 is Ertz, Horan, and Mewis. I'm going with Mewis over Lavelle because Mewis is better at switching the point of attack with just one pass. That could be key against France. Plus you have the dual enforcers in Ertz and Horan to disrupt play in the midfield.

lil_one and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The big shame for me is that I will be at work for a big chunk of this match.:( Personally, I jthink that it will be a tight bit of business. Nevertheless, I also hope that the France 3-1 USA result from a few months ago may be a good indicator of what to expect.

blissett repped this.
  14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I'll be shocked if Lavelle doesn't start as she has played well--save for the half-dive against Spain that drew an undeserved penalty--and adds a dynamic to the U.S. attack that neither Horan or Mewis can match. She is speedy and elusive. France will be thankful if Lavelle doesn't start.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France is a statistical favorite, by a slight amount, due to home field advantage.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now were calling it a "half-dive" @L'orange? Come one, you're better than that.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I think she "embellished"--how about that. I'll go no lower than a "quarter-dive" on what was a silly call!

18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

blissett and Kakeru repped this.
  20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just directed to this thread. Shout out and thanks to @balu .
    Thought it might interest some of you:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/wwc-19-qf-fra-usa-monzul-ukr.2104743/

It's the thread regarding the refs decisions for this match. If you like, you can take your discussions there and get sound advice regarding questionable calls (this means YOU @L'orange :ROFLMAO:).

Not a bad choice, I guess. Monzul reffed the USA vs Nigeria WWC group match and the 2015 final vs Japan.

21. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She will. This is absolutely not a question unless she’s fit enough.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod note: Please move on from the Lavalle embellishment, foul, dive, disembowelment, assassination, magic trick or what ever you want to call it.

Additionally, if you want to complain about the refs, go to this thread I specifically set up. If you decide to ignore this post, or skip over it, do not be surprised if your posting privileges for this thread are revoked.

blissett and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot! I totally forgot you had a thread setup for ref discussions, sorry SN.
    It might be better for folks to use your thread, as the ref forum mods (I referenced above) are not as lenient with dissent.

soccernutter repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I created it. They run a good, but very tight ship. I applaud their consistency over the years, though.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, and that lineup will have more defensive bite to it to cover the leaky backline. Lavelle has had a good tournament, but this might be the game she sits.