Zurawski to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MarkRFC_, Dec 8, 2007.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zurawski to Galaxy?

What part isn't true, if the league didn't change there mind about all the players making more than 400,000 in 2008 they would be considered a DP.

Both Donovan and Ruiz are making more that 400,000 so that would have made them DP's for the 2008 season. Since you guys are already using your DP on Beckham you would have to trade for the those DP's that Donovan and Ruiz would have been.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm not sure about that. It seems to me the dominant center mid playmakers--Etcheverry, Cienfuegos, Nowak, Gomez, De Rosario, Preki--collectively seem to have more championships than the best strikers do. Especially if you consider Moreno a withdrawn, creative forward and not a striker.

One thing that is true, though, is that the best central players have all the titles, and the best wide players often have few.

3. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pleased as can be. I'm a polish national team follower. I went to Poland vs England at Old Trafford. And that we are getting Polish captain Maciej Zurawski on our team. Couldn't be happier.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't count your chickens yet. The type of fee Celtic wants, MLS has only paid a few times in league history (Luis Hernandez, Ariel Graziani, and Landon Donovan come to mind. Maybe there are a couple others).

Now, that was when it was largely the league and not the team making the decisions, but even the teams usually look for free transfers for their DPs. Paying that big a fee is always a tough decision in a league like this one, even for a very good player.

5. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's pretty crucial for the league to finally get a goalscorer in Columbus. And I don't think the fee will be much as he would need a miracle or dare I say some Magic to play again at Celtic these days.

6. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    That is not a big transfer fee, not even slightly, and if the MLS is to take off then £1m / $2m has to be recognised as a normal transfer price.

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    In the European context, sure, but I'm just saying it's not one we pay very often, and one we always have to think pretty carefully about.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree with that, and it'll go into the calculation. It would help the franchise out a lot to grab a guy who can get into the highlight reels.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zurawski's contract runs out in the summer right? That's why MLS wouldn't have to pay a fee and that is partly why we think that he's only talking with MLS to get a contract somewhere else in Europe like Wisla Krakow.

10. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    We are selling him in this window, to Columbus Crew or whoever, but he's going now for a fee.

11. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    then, tbh, he's not likely to end up in MLS. It's very unlikely we'll pay 1 million pounds (2 million US) for a player like Zurawski. I'm not saying he's not worth it, I'm just saying MLS sides don't often pay transfer fees, especially for a player that wouldn't really generate any media/fan interest short of having a fantastic season.

12. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garey just got an old fella to learn from. 2-3 years max and this fella is out of MLS.

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, we have to look at a guy with a $2 Million fee at age 31 as someone who will play in the US a handful of years, and will have no transfer value at the end of that time. So you'd have to look at that fee as if you were tacking on between $500k and $1M/yr to his salary.

14. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    Well he would have that. He's not only there to do well, he's there to fight his way into the Polish national team again.

To be honest I think him going to Crew doesn't make sense. The Scottish managers in the league will know him, Stevie Nicol at Revs, Kinnear at Houston, Judas at Toronto, even Steve Morrow should know him quite well due to the Northern Ireland connection.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    There's that, and there's 800,000 with Polish ancestry in Chicago, 200,000 of whom are recent enough to speak primarily Polish in the home. Plus, Chicago needs a forward as bad as Columbus does.

16. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Why can't Columbus wait until the end of June for his contract to run out and sign him on a free? They can already negotiate the contract and pin him down to the deal now and he'd only miss 3 months of the MLS season. Seems wiser than spending $2 million, especially as they aren't the wealthiest of franchises.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Because as WelshCelt just said, Celtic intend to transfer him to someone this window regardless. So the only way that would work is if for some crazy reason Zurawski demanded to go to no one other than Columbus.

---

Btw, recent update from the Columbus Dispatch Crew blog

http://blog.dispatch.com/crew/2008/01/higher_regard.shtml

Seems they're still quite interested. And maybe the fact that Zurawski is a current international who can add to the profile of the club by playing in Euro2008 has something to do with that. (The ESPN family will for the first time be airing every game live. A couple games will even make it onto ABC, so it might not only help the club's profile abroad, but also at home.)

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget about Robert Warzycha at Columbus. I'm sure he still has a little pull in his homeland.

19. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Celtic wants 200k-300k Euros as a transfer fee according to the Polish papers.

20. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Celtic can transfer his remaining contract with them to anyone they want to. However, Zuwarski is 6 months away from the end of that contract and is free to sign with any club he wants. Celtic would find it really difficult to transfer a player for any large sum of money who already has come to personal terms with another club for his next contract.

If this goes down, and it is by far not even close to being certain that it will, it'll be HSG coming to terms with Z and then sending over a few grand for Celtic's trouble.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Come on. You know better than this.

Even if Celtic agree a fee with any team, Zurawski doesn't have to agree to a move, they cannot force him to move anywhere.

I have no idea what you are talking about here.

22. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I believe this is what I was getting to

Just like with Beckham, when a player's contract is 6 months from the end they can begin negotiating and sign with another team for their next contract. Celtic can try to transfer him to anyone they want, but they'd find it hard to try to transfer a player that had already come to personal terms with another club.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Really? You don't say.

Your initial sentence

Celtic do not transfer the remaining contract. They transfer his player registration.

It isn't MLS. The way you wrote that sentence made it seem that Celtic can move him without his permission.

24. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, indeed, it was a poorly written sentance. Sorry.

The floggings begin at noon.

25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    But at any rate, he's right about what usually happens at this point in a contract, if he's that close to the end of it (I hadn't seen that before). Because he's so close to the end and teams feel they can wait it out, or Zurawshi himself could, that should theoretically reduce the fee by a good amount.