Zurawski to Columbus Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lakaix15, Jan 29, 2008.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's my POS computer, but the link got me a blank page....:eek:

If true, that would f'kin suck. Twice MLS has screwed someone over $$ in less than a month (heck, barely a week)

2. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the hits from Columbus probably crashed their site.

3. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is there is a large article in Greek with a picture of Majic on there. F*ckers.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That truly sucks.

Guess that's one more monkey off our 3-Peat back though ;)

Now comes the Twellman speculation..."Did MLS or the club screw things up?"

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*CK my team's Front Office and Hunt Sports Group for dragging their balls on this one.

7. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Well, at least it's a "done deal" now.

8. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    I know you Crew fans are disapointed but it's not worth 600k, on top of a salary, just to bring in an aging striker that will be available on a free in a few months. No, good, reason. There's plenty other fish in the see, if Zurawski can't even get a game for Celtic there's just no reason to break bank on him. I just don't think he's worth 1 million after salary and fee.

9. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA
    reports say the hunts didnt want to pay an extra 200k for him in the transfer fee.... then came a long the the team from greece and scooped him up.... that is a shame on the hunts.... are they that cheap.... im sorry if 200k was it then..... if i was garber i would seriously have a talk with these owners.... to make the team in columbus better and this league better.... 200k can not be the deciding factor.... if it was a million then yes.... and isnt gliden (shirt sponsor) giving like 5 mil a year??? so where is that money going to????.... this is just sad on the crew FO

10. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA

1. hes 28 so hes not aging

2. Dosnt mean that hes bad if he cant get in time at celtic.... maybe the coach donsnt like him.... and hes the national team captain of a flying polish national team....

3. and if 600k is ALOT for a owner then he is in the wrong biussnes

4. and its not 1 mil. its only one will the first year and he will bring in people and where is the shirt sponsor money going to???? is it that stupid stage that there building???

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is now completely confirmed by the bbc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7223140.stm

Note that the bbc is reporting that the transfer fee was 500,000 pounds, which is approx. $980,000.00. I think that is a pretty hefty fee for a 31 year old striker who was going out of contract in the Summer.

It looks like Larissa just wanted him more.

It's too bad for MLS, since he would have been a nice addition to MLS, but these things happen. He was not a "make or break" type of player.

12. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    1. He is, in fact, 31 years of age.

Aging

2. He cant get a game because he's not better than Killen, Vennegor, McDonald and now Samaras (HORRIBLE at Citeh). I'm hardly impressed by their stable, if he can't even get bit minutes I'm very concerned about his ability. Shit, if they need to bring in the woeful Samaras, I'm even more concerned.

3/4. I don't really understand what you said in #4 there, but his total first year would cost Columbus 1 million dollars. That's a lot of money for a MLS club, any way you look at it, especially for a 31 year old striker that hasn't really played for damn near a year now.

It also saves Columbus cap room (and money) for one of the Argentine forwards to come (Lopez, Palermo or Ortega) and join Schletto.

Seriously, the sky is not falling, and we're not European soccer leagues yet, we shouldn't start a precedent of paying a lot of (MLS) money for players that wont really garner publicity. It's not like Zurawksi was going to pack the house.

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the way The Crew were demonized in the Argentinian press all offseason during the "Schelotto Telenovela", you really think we're gonna get another Argentinian to come here. Hell, I wouldn't put it past HSG (who obviously gives two shits about this club and can't find anyone to take it off their hands) to sell him off in August just to make sure they get something instead of nothing when his contract expires.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    1. ???Everything I have read says he is 31? Which one is it?

2. So? Claudio Reyna was our captain last year. You have seen how well he has done for us at NY. MZ also has struggled on the international stage for a couple of years now, except versus the tiniest of minnows. No?

3. In MLS for a transfer it is. You should know that. Especially for a guy who isn't marquee, and the number was closer to $800,000 according to the reports.
    Again, you should know that.

4. He wouldn't bring in many people. Don't kid yourself. If he improved the team then CC's attendance would definitely go up, but he wasn't going to pack in big numbers. Even in NY and Chicago we are talking a couple of thousand at most. If you think differently I think you are fooling yourself.

I think he would have been a very good addition to the Crew, but KNOWING the economics of MLS TODAY I get why they didn't raise their offer. You should to.
    A transfer of that price would not justify the return. Half, I would do it in a heartbeat. A mill for MZ. Come on now. It's Poland. Not a big time country.

Not an insult. A fact.

Now go down to the site and get more photos already! Will ya?:D

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Pay a lower profile player enough and yes. No doubt about it.

Schelotto is an icon. Of course they were going to demonize the league for having him, and for him not returning home. Do you go after the hero or the easy target?

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    This sort of nonsense starts to sound like the Pollyannas on the Revs boards for the last few years--certain that we were hesitating just so we could bring in the absolute best player.

Lopez is older and not even the striker that Zurawski is anymore.

And please---Ortega AND Schelotto? A pair of River-Boca legends setting up Alejandro Moreno with 20 chances/game for him to blow? That's comical.

Palermo is the only one of those three that I think would be better than Zurawski (especially w/ Guille), and I'll believe it when I see it.

17. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    I didn't mean state that like Columbus were just holding out because of those 3. They didn't want to spend that much on a transfer fee for a 31 year old player, point blank period. I hardly think you can even make a judgement about who would be better, Zurawski hasn't played a competitive club game in quite some time.

That's a huge problem guys. If a player can't even get bit sub minutes for a club like Celtic he's just not worth 1 million, TO MLS.

I mentioned those 3 because there have been rumors from the Spanish media and Goff. The mere fact that Schletto is in Columbus makes me believe that MLS has a positive reputation amongst Argentinians (highlighted by the DCU signings, Toja, RSL, etc.). I think any of those 3 would provide similar contirubtions to Columbus.

What are their contract situations, are any available on free transfers?

18. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA
    ok ok guys u got me but still.... dosnt hunt sports group still own the chiefs???? they are spending millions on them no???? so why not on columbus.... i guess there another kraft sports group.... i with the real hunt man was still alive, he would of made this happen for this team and mls....

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....because the NFL is an established league that has been around for a long time that makes HSG 10's of millions of dollars a year profit nad the Crew are trying to break even?

Just a thought.

When ya getting more pictures?:p

20. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA
    could use a little of those 10's of millions on the crew ;)

but the pictures.... theyll be up with in a week or two....

21. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    CommonSense, thanks for your posts. They show a lot of...well...common sense. :D

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope all of you who are talking out of your ass and saying the league screwed up read this.

Kudos to Shawn Mitchell who is really making his blog a good read. Instead of bitching about team access, he's starting to develop some good sources.

23. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the league really that stupid? You have to agree a fee with the club first before you can actually sign a player.

Transfer fee must be agreed first and that is why Larissa won and Columbus is off to another mediocre season.

24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dead wrong, Kimo.

Celtic and Crew agreed on a transfer fee. It was the salary offer to the player that Larissa upped.

Aside from that, your post makes great sense.

Or not.

25. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what happened at all. The Crew and Celtic had agreed on a fee - but Celtic also agreed on a fee with Larissa. Larissa offered a bigger contract, and Zurawski's agent never notified the Crew that they had been outbid on personal terms to give them a chance to counter and improve the contract offer.