zizou to quit after next(05/06) season...

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by gazzad_5, Jun 10, 2005.

1. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
  2. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    From hearing him talking about it, I think it's pretty final, unless he has a miraculously good season next year.

I love Zidane, but he is playing more and more like and old man. I think retirement is a good option, now that he's still riding the crest of the wave.

3. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Michael Ballack will be a Bosman after the 05/06 season so he could step into Zizou's place. He may not have the same ability as Zidane but Ballack is solid and will be a very good replacement for him and for nothing.

Your right Gazzad, Zidane was one of the 10 nominees for Football legend the others were Pele, Bobby Moore, Maradona, Puskas, Beckenbauer, Johann Cruyff, Bobby Charlton, Platini & John Charles

4. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Yeah sure...the Johnny's and Bobby's are ahead of Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Garrincha, Zico, Di Stefano, Eusebio et al. What remarkable nomination by the program!:rolleyes:

5. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    Actually it is extremely difficult to find a crappier list than that one...

6. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    you could go on all day naming players that should/should not be in the list.
    i just saying it is a great honour for zizou to be in the top 10 of an english countdown were it is obviously biased towards 'the bobby's'.

it seems pretty certain then that it will be his last season. i wil make my annual trip to watch real again in february mainly just 2 see the guy live before he retires.
    i was in the bernabeu when he scored that superb goal v espanyol this season and trust me nothin makes me happier than watching one of (if not the) greatest players ever perform his magic right there in front of you!

7. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I realize that you were just stating but not endorsing the list. I was only reacting to the overtly biased list. I feel that Zidane deserves to be on all top 10 footballer lists . He is definitely one of the greatest players ever.

8. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005

Fantastic goal. I think his 'here I am' goal with Real Madrid was against Deportivo de la Coruña at the Bernabeu in his first season with the club. You guys might recall that it was still relatively early in the season and people were questioning the signing (frankly, he didn't play well early on). I remember sitting a bar in NJ watching him sit three guys down in the plenty area with a series of nasty feints and touches... followed by an absolute bomb with his left foot that Molina could only watch go by. What a goal. Everyone was going nuts... "that's why we signed him! that's why we signed him!" Man what a goal.

That goal and the image of him celebrating the goal against Leverkusen saying "¡Toma! ¡Toma!" are two of my favorite memories of his first season with us.

I'm with you Gazzad 5, I consider myself very fortunate to have seen this guy play in person. As amazing as he is on TV, watching him in person is a real treat. A legend.

¡¡Gracias Zizou!! y ¡Hala Madrid!

9. Adidas343

Adidas343 Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Diamond Bar, CA
    man... one season left of watching the french wizard play. very unfortunate. I hope he has a absoulte great season next year.

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

If your having a ago at a all time top 10 list you really shouldn't mention players like Rivaldo.

11. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    And why is that again? Was he less phenomenal than the Bobby's and Johnny's? He has been more successful for Brazil than Zico. He was instrumental in Brazil reaching the WC final in 1998 and winning it all in 2002. He was the best player in the world in his prime, being significantly better than Zidane and Figo (and Ronaldo was injured). He will not be in my top 10 all time players list, but if the Bobby's and Johnny's are there, then so should he.

12. Zizou

Zizou New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    It ain't easy to watch this guy hanging his boots. The guy whose incrediable performances made the AS write the next day after Valencia game at Bernabue: "Di Stefano is back"

The main concern regrding this issure is make his retirement the best way for him and the club. I belive bringing another quality player to replace Zidane step by step is perfect. No wonder a player of his age gets tired playing in every game especially if he is not-chasing-the-ball type. Why he has to play a 90 minutes in games against minor teams? rest him to get the best out of him.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Rivaldo won't be in anyone's top 10 list that's why you shouldn't mention him. And it's one hell of a assumption he goes higher in most peoples all time list than the two players your berating.

14. bracer028

bracer028 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Los Angeles
    we should cherish this last season...i hope he doesn't join another club and ruin his retirement in RM...i would love to see him retire in a RM shirt

just don't join some loser league like the MLS and ruin his legendary status...leave on a high note

Real Madrid for Champions of La Liga and Champions League!!!!

15. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Come on! Do you seriously think Bobby Charlton and John Charles, while great players themselves, are in the same class as Rivaldo? If it was Geroge Best then I could agree.

16. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

OMG what a ridiculous statement. :eek:

17. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    i agree. it would be great to see zizou go out on a high and i dont believe he will join a lower league or lower club
    he has always maintained this belief to retire on top himself. i see that this is why he is retiring next season
    it would be great to win the CL or la liga so that he can go out on a high note
    a sort o testimonial type game wold be fitting this time next year, it would be the last time he plays for RM
    anyway it isnt fact that he retires this season, only likely
    whos to say if he rediscovers his form and real win trophies he wont take up the option on his contract to play til 2007
    lets just hope its a damn good season for real and zizou!

18. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    So you don't think the Bobby's and Johnny's were great players? Ok, whatever makes you happy.;)

19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

B.Charlton > Rivaldo everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's

20. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching paint dry > you two arguing about non-Real Madrid issues. :p

21. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lockjaw again.