Zawahiri pushing up daisies?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by VFish, Aug 2, 2008.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If true I'm throwing a party and you are all invited:
    Al Qaeda No. 2 Injured?

(CBS) Ayman al-Zawahiri - the second most powerful leader in al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden's No. 2 - may be critically wounded and possibly dead, CBS News chief foreign affairs correspondent Lara Logan reports exclusively.

CBS News has obtained a copy of an intercepted letter from sources in Pakistan, which urgently requests a doctor to treat al-Zawahiri. He's believed to be somewhere in Pakistan's remote tribal areas of Pakistan.

The letter refers to Sheikh Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri by name - and says that he is in "severe pain" and his "injuries are infected."

It is reportedly written by local Taliban leader, Baitullah Mehsud, whose signature and seal are visible on the letter.

The Taliban logo and the Mehsud's seal have been confirmed by experts as legitimate.

The letter is dated July 29 - one day after a U.S. air strike that killed al Qaeda weapons expert Abu Khabab al-Masri, and five other Arabs in South Waziristan.

Read the rest

2. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Help me Damon, I see OBL but can't find Doctor Z.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All hail our robotic air force.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You jest, but a big HAIL from me.

6. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Till they sweep over your house.

But a nice hit if true.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only hope that his infections run long and painful and that he suffers greatly before dying.

8. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I thought we already killed him like twice!!

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why the cynicism? I have always been public about my love of UAVs.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope right now he's trying to figure out why the seventy two beautiful dark-eyed virgins that he inherited for eternity are male, horny, and they all have 14 inch plus dick sizes. :D

Seriously, it wouldn't be bad news if the man is gone.

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    While the news, if true, can bear some sentimental value but in the big picture come to think of it: seven years of war on two countries completely ruined, thousands dead, tens of thousands more crippled, not to mention the Iraqis and Afghans, then we got the number 2 guy injured based on a copy of letter intercepted by someone in MSM. Let's face it, if it was about a few top Al Queada dogs, did we need all this mess. All I am saying is look at the big picture.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think looking at the big picture, in the long term Iraq is better off without Saddam and Afghanistan is better off without the Taliban and Al Qaeda in control.

And, Iran is better off without Saddam as well, didn't you sacrifice half of your male population in an effort to try to get rid of him? So quit bitching and be thankful.

13. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    That's a bullshit argument. Saddam would have never become the evil he became without the help of the same people that cried foul against him a decade after they had supported him -- Iran would have had him sent to hell if it wasn't for the "world" support. This issue has been extensively discussed. Those who take these unconfirmed "news" (which I consider stories) seriously are either still living in a shattered dream or just part of the misinformation campaign.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nevertheless, you said look at the big picture.

Even if somebody was to agree with your last post, and take as truth your contention that Iran would have triumphed over Hussein's Iraq if only 'the world' hadn't all sided against Iran, it still doesn't change the fact that they didn't, and it doesn't change the fact that Iraq, Iran and the world are better off without Saddam Hussein in control of Iraq and without the Taliban and Al Qaeda in control of Afghanistan.

That's the big picture.

Now let me ask you, to go back to the topic of this thread, do you not think in the big picture that it would be good for the world if it turned out that Al Zawahiri is dead?

15. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    The problem with this type of question/argument is that it portrays a very complex problem with deep historical roots into a simpleton, and always followed by another simple question that demands a clear digitized (Yes or No) answer. This strategy has proved to be dangerous. Complex issues need to be examined in great depth and your type of approach, which has also been practiced in MSM, is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who is fairly educated about the matter.

In case of this news, again if it's true, of course, it would be good but only if the root of the problem is identifed and resolved. Otherwise, Zawari type will always come to surface.

16. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Maybe in a few hundred years, Muslim chauvinism will be diminished and the root cause will be resolved. Until then, it's whack-a-mole.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very interesting. So, did you identify the root of the problem, and if so, how do you propose that it gets resolved?

18. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Good news. Pretty much the only good al-Qaeda leader is a dead al-Qaeda leader.

[​IMG]

"Hundreds of years? Yes, you are correct."

[​IMG]

"Horseshit."

19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Since you are not tired yet of this line, I'll give you a hint: the villain's identity rhymes with "lionists"

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Virgin #1, coming right up!:
    [​IMG]

21. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hell yes, it's a great thing if he turned out dead.

I'm going to make my pitch for the Pulitzer Prize winning The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 again.

22. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I happen to think a lot sooner the fascist Jeudo-Nazis will be wiped off the map as they are the root of all evil throught the history of mankind.

23. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Simple:

Get rid of the foreign powers and their satelite state along with their puppet regimes, then in no time the "chauvinist moslems" will find enlightenment.

24. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Wow, I never expected that answer. Will you wipe Hymietown off of the map, too? Or are all of the Jew-Nazi fascists in Israel?

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    ????????