zak whitbread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by nadpolice9, Oct 8, 2003.

1. nadpolice9

nadpolice9 New Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Boston , MA
    played the full 90 last night for liverpool reserves in their win 1-0 against wolves. he was named man of the match.
    <Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Zak Whitbread, outstanding at centre half and made two last ditch saving tackles to deny Wolves. >

so three youth yanks abroad started in reserve team action last night, for three of the biggest clubs in england. cooper with man u, simek with arsenal, and whitbread with liverpool. whitbread has been playing reserve games all season, and i bet he will make his first team appreance this season in the beginning stages of the fa cup or worthington cup.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite an accomplishment for these young Yanks. I hope that in two years time we have Yanks (field players) starting for all three of the big EPL clubs. I have high hope for the US in '06 and '10, given all these young players pan out.

3. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    This is only the beginning of the migration....

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, ain't that some garbage?? i wonder if english teams are stopping other reserve players who play for the english squad from going to play. this seems to be a very meanspirited thing to do to a young player.

6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Long term. it's in the kid's best interests. If he goes all over playing for youth teams, he may not mature into a first team player. So, he plays internationally for the U-20s, but who knows what happens later.

If he stays put and becomes a solid part of the Liverpool squad, you can bet on his seeing action on the full US team. I have no problem with leaving guys with their clubs, as long as they are with good teams.

Long term, becoming an integral part of a top flight club is going to be much more valuable than playing in a couple of youth tournaments.

7. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, seriously, because those two weeks that he would miss at the cup, as we all know, are pretty much vital to a young player's development. If he just goes holidaying, slacking off playing international tournaments, he'll never amount to anything.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I wonder if our other u20s in England will play...

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought that it is country over club under a FIFA rule. In this case, it is a FIFA official event over some reserve matches.

Have Whitbread been cap-tied to the US? I knew he had played for the US U-20, but official games?

10. PScott8502

PScott8502 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    50th state
    No he's not cap-tied to the US. He did play in a summer tournament in Spain with the U20's, but it was not a fifa sanctioned tournament. That means that if there was ever a time to cap-tie him, it would be for this up coming U20 tournament. If it doesnt happen there, it might/probably will never happen.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the number of injuries in the back line that Liverpool have had lately-- eg., to Carracher, Henchoz-- and Hyppia and Biscan being on bad form, could Whitbread be held behind at Anfield for the possibility of getting a shot in the first eleven?

Worth thinking about, at least as a cover, that's for sure.

I took the linked article as saying that Whitbread is being denied clearance for the U-20s camp, but not necessarily for the upcoming World Championship.

12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    It's not specifically about what would get him playing more or better soccer for those two weeks. It's about showing dedication and committment to his club and making himself a part of things, which enhances his standing at the club and makes him more likely to grow into an integral part of the team.

And, yes, growing into an integral part of a top team is more important than playing a youth tournament.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    true usually but not in this case as far as the USA goes.Zak is a dual US/UK citizen and there will not be another "official " game until Olympics or Olympic quali, when he maybe MORE important for Liverpool.He was brought up in England from what I understand, so if he is REALLY good, I would not assume he will choose to play for the USA.If he is as promising as we hear, I would LOVE to see him capped by Rongen right here, right now.

14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Do you really think England has a greater chance of winning the World Cup than the US? It is much harder to qualify and there is so much more pressure for them to do well. Also since he has already played for the U20s, I take that as a pretty good indication that he wants to play for the United States.

15. PScott8502

PScott8502 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    50th state
    They may or may not have a better chance of winning the World Cup. That doesn't matter. What matters is that most people believe that England has a better chance of winning a World Cup before the U.S.. Especially if we are talking about a kid who grew up in England.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This may perhaps be too practical a consideration, but for a player expecting to play his career in the EPL (or even MLS for that matter) Concacaf call ups are problematic since they don't always follow the international calendar, are further travel than many (tho not all) of the Euro countries etc. I don't know that that would affect me as a player, but if I was the club I'd prefer my kids play for England.

That said, the "luster" of playing in the EPL is a bit higher for a US international at the moment than for an England international. Not that it gives youa free pass, but it will get you a longer look.

Hopefully, in the end the kid plays for the country he feels most passionately about...

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, the kid didn't grow up in England - he grew up (mostly) in Singapore.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it has changed the policy, CONCACAF qualifiers do follow the international calendar and Bruce Arena almost never calls up players for friendlies, or even the Gold Cup, when they are playing for their club. The latter could change with a new coach, but right now it is not much of an issue.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Could be my memory's gone. Maybe it's only that MLS doesn't adhere to the interenational calendar, but I thought there were some comflicts in the past. Nonetheless, playing concacaf q's certainly has been an issue. Both Reyna and JOB (as well as Wanchope and other CAF players) have had problems getting good-grace release at various points in their career. Even Euro players are often very strongly discouraged by their clubs from playing internationals, especially in the midst of CL/UEFA season. And those that have further to go - CAF, SA, Asia are pressured more. But again, I doubt that kind of scheduling issue carries much weight when a kid is deciding what country to play for.

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Either the English have alread set sights on him, and/or the kid is not certain he wants to play for the US...Anyway, Rongen better talk to the kid and discuss what he really wants...This whole Liverpool excuse/"explanation" seems absolutely ludicrous....Two weeks is nothing for Liverpool to miss a reserve player....

21. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I cannot stand the mentality of "let's cap him before England gets a chance." If Zak - or any other player - is not 100% sure he doesn't want to play for the US, then the US should wait for him to make up his own mind. If he leads England to the WC, more power to him,

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It would also be better chance for Whitbread to play for the USMNT than England. I never saw him in action. If he is good enough for England, I don't know.

But if I were him, I would think..... what if I got capped by England U-20 team but never made it beyond the U-20.... I would have played in a WC Finals with the USA. And what if i got capped by USA U-20 now, I become so good that I miss my chances with England where I could win the European Championship or WC.

I do not blame him. If my father is English, I would consider England as much as the USA. And he is so young and still plays in the reserve, the future is very uncertain. It's liked a HS student without a college acceptance(never mind a college degree) making a decision on Merrill Lynch or JP Morgan.

23. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The US has more potential than does England for winning regional and world championships.

For all the prestige asociated with playing in a top European league it doesn't translate into greater success internationally. England has gone a long time (since 1966) without reaching the heights of the world game. They do always seem to be on the cusp of reaching that level and there is certainly that expectation, at least within England. Yet for all the talent and experience that the players have, they somehow have fallen short many times in recent years.

If I were a young player with dual nationality and saw all the young talent the US is beginning to turn out every year, I would have to give the edge to the US, it would certainly be tough decision; but the US is a legitimate choice.

24. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitbread would definitely have a better chance of getting playing time for the USA than for England.

England has a lot more potential than the USA to win international tournaments like the World Cup. You are totally out of your mind if you think the USA has a better chance.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    England pruduces better players, and more of them in almost every generation compared to the
    USA.

Just on the Senior team

England 23 - 25

Paul Robinson
    Wayne Bridge
    Ashley Cole
    Danny Mills
    Phillipe Neville
    Keiron Dyer
    Steven Gerrard
    Frank Lampard
    James Beattie
    Emile Jeskey
    Michael Owen
    Darius Vassel

England 20 - 22
    Joe Cole
    Owen Hargraves

And then Wayne Rooney, who is around 18

This isn't including stars in their youth teams like Bobby Zamora and Jermaine Pennant. These guys easily have more talent then the US does. They have no holes at any position.