Zak Whitbread to Norwich: 5-16-2012 released by Norwich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Getting spanked 4-0 is a pretty good indication that they arent a deep team. THe starting 13 or 14 are probably good enough to stay competitive, but after that, not so much.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitbread should be ready to return to the squad soon. From the manager:
    "Zak is probably the closest one to coming back. He'll train next week at some point. He has been doing work with the physios and the fitness lads here and if he is okay we'll see how he does."

3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advance time a couple weeks and story remains the same - Whitbread training but still not at full fitness or ready to play a match.

5. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    He's fit again, though it sounds like they'll ease him back into things. He made the bench for the savage beating at Man City on the weekend. He'll get his shot: The Canaries have given up 14 goals in their last five games.

6. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started and played 83 minutes. Sky Sports rated him a 5, in a 4-way tie for worst among starters.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 5-5.5 rating is about right. The team put in a very good performance. Zak was decent. He did have a 50/50 fault on Demba Ba's 1st goal which I highlighted in the Gameday Thread. Zak was also was forced to dribble on the left hand side at the half-way line and turned the ball over eventually leading to Ba's 2nd goal. Definitely at fault for the turnover but two teammates just stood there never giving him a proper passing lane. However despite that he was fairly decent and the rating fit. He also had a very good knock down header from a set piece that created a chance for Norwich. Solid shift from Zak.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norwich got a good thing going here. I didnt think they stood any chance whatsoever at staying up. Zak is in a very good situation right now if he can stay healthy

10. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

Is Whitbread right or left footed? I ask because Seltzer rated him at LCB, in his USMNT depth chart.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure. I wondered that, too. For what it's worth I saw him make passes equally with either foot. But he did lineup as a LCB.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I assume he's left-footed because he played LB coming up at Liverpool - even started there for some League Cup games and big friendlies in the US - and started at LB for the US U20 and U23 teams.

13. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left footed according to transfer market.

14. Yank2222

Yank2222 New Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Why does Zak always seem to get subbed out in games? Normally I never see a CB come out of a game late.

15. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, most of the time he has been subbed out is because of injury. Yesterday I would imagine was more fitness since it was the first match he has played since August.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just added him to my fantasy team for Tuesday. Hopefully he plays well against Wolves!

18. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitbread got the start and went the full 90 against Wolverhampton today. Anyone know how Whitbread looked in this one?

19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was rated a 6 by Sky

20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Whitbread's contract ends this summer. Will he resign with Norwich? Can't see why not, if they make him a reasonable offer.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Zak Whitbread started in the 0-0 v Chelsea this afternoon.

Seemed to go the 90 minutes.

Made one crucial block to a cross midway through the second half.

22. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my first time watching Whitbread. Very solid player. He closed Torres down very well throughout the game and looked OK in possession. From my perspective he only faulted once throughout the game, which was on a Lukaku break. Poorly timed tackle that led to Lukaku easily pushing the ball past him. Other than that, he played a very good match. Naturally left footed defender who played some great balls into the channels for his strikers to run onto, and never really had any panicked clearances.

I'm honestly surprised he has not been considered as a left back for the USA yet. He's got decent enough pace, and for me he is probably the best left footed defender in our pool. Sure Chandler is quicker and better going forward, but as a natural left sided defender, he gets my vote. Another thing to consider is his size. Guy's a legitimate 6'2 and gets up very well in the air. Cut out many crosses, and overall he has very strong positioning and defensive technique. I think he goes to Brazil in 2014.

23. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't at the level of Boca or Onyewu, but since he's quite a few years younger, he definitly could be important for us in 2014.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He has been in the US pool off and on since he was young - maybe as young as 17? but he played for the U-20's and I think he was called up last year, no? He's just been snakebit with injuries.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah.........I believe he was called up by Bradley before the Gold Cup. But got hurt.

He was part of our ill-fated 2004 Olympic qualifying team. But got hurt.

He'll get a chance with the USMNT if he keeps playing like this.

More importantly for him he needs to stay healthy and get a really long run of games with Norwich.