Yuri Movsisyan declares for US

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by supercooper, Jul 20, 2009.

1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Yuri Movsisyan says his goal is to play well for Randers and subsequently position himself for a call-up with US national team during the next cycle.

Re: Citizenship...says his paperwork needs 2-3 more months, and then he needs to wait 2 years. Apparently the move to Randers will not effect his citizenship confirmation. He seems pretty confident of that.

He did say he would consider Armenia as a backup option.
    Hopefully the next coach (Bob?) will consider these issues in the next cycle.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...7/20/1394051/you-asked-yura-movsisyan-answers

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty cool -- he showed some flashes of brilliance, hopefully he continues to develop. He wouldn't be good enough yet to supplant Altidore or Davies, but Ching ain't getting any younger, and it's not exactly as if our forward pool is overflowing with quality prospects.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good! I think Yura is a guy with a ton of potential and the type of player who will get better with age. If he can continue to develop, who knows what kind of player he can be. Hope he can help us, but it's a tough climb!

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also declare my intention to make myself available to Bob Bradley.
    I pool ain't deep, but its deep enough.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura is an interesting prospect. I think he will benefit from the accelerated training and pressure from Europe. He's maturing at a steady rate. He's got the physical tools to be an international player. Now he just has to expand his tactical tools. I like his game and at 21 it will get better.

I hope he does get a chance to represent the US. You can never have too many strikers in your player pool. I'm sure USSF will unofficially keep tabs on him. I hope someone monitors his play on the field and his citizenship progress. I trust that Yura has hired an immigration attorney before agreeing to terms with Randers to make sure he wouldn't harm his status for eventually obtaining citizenship. It sounds like he has.

6. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Danish league is really becoming a proving ground for our boys. Feilhaber, White, Tracy, Califf, Parkhurst, and now Movsisyan (who just turned 22, btw). Hope more of our guys in the 19-25 age bracket end up in Belgium and Denmark; if they can make it in the Superliga and Jupiler, they probably have a better chance of making it to a bigger club than from MLS.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a proving ground just yet. Simply because we have yet to see anyone, other than Pearce, transfer out into one on the "Big 4" leagues. It's just been a recent trend of heading to Denmark so I have no doubt in the next year or two that one of our Yanks there will transfer to the "Big 4". If I had to put money on it, I would say Feilhaber might be the barrier breaker. Denmark is a great place to cut your teeth and we will hopefully see if it is a proving ground that parlays into something bigger.

8. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn... Wake me up when you've scored a game winner in this fashion:
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/2208105"]Yura Movsisyan vs. Chivas USA on Vimeo[/ame]

9. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did say 'becoming." :) I think the thing that strikes me is that we have four starting field players in the league. How many top- or mid-tier leagues can we say that about? Also, it seems the Superliga is looking more closely at American talent than other leagues.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've met him, and I can tell you that he is extremely grateful for the opportunities that our country has provided him. He also identifies with his Armenian heritage, but I'm not surprised that he has chosen the U.S. first. Now, of course, the rest is up to him. Best wishes, Yura.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news. He's a prospect with potential, and has shown flashed of brilliance, and some fight and grit.

12. Iwazrobbed

Iwazrobbed New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I'm surprised by this. Yura came to the US around 2001/2002, right? One would think he would want to play for Armenia only, especially since he's from the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

13. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He discussed this at length on FFF one time -- he's grateful for the opportunity that the US has given him to develop as a player.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yura's MLS reg. seasons stats, year by year...

2009 Real Salt Lake 17 15 1,287 4 2
    2008 Real Salt Lake 22 13 1,229 7 1
    2007 Real Salt Lake 5 4 327 0 0
    ---- Kansas City 18 5 666 5 0
    2006 Kansas City 10 1 221 0 0

Sorry, but 16 goals in 72 games doesn't get me all excited that he's "choosing" the US.

I agree he has potential and he could blossom and he only turns 22 next month. I get all that.

But was I see is a good but not great player who is very inconsistent. But, for a national team that aspires to be in the Top 10 in the world and consistently push for the QFs of the World Cup (and beyond), we can - and should - do better.

If his game takes off, then perhaps this will matter. But right now, it's not that big a deal.

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Good news. Any players choosing us is good news. Hopefully he improves his game and forces Bob's hand as soon as that passport arrives.

16. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely LOVE the way this guy plays - his work ethic and enthusiasm on the field are astounding. I really hope he plays well because I would like to see him in a US jersey one day. Hard to believe he's only 22.

17. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He has the hunger to improve and going to Europe will hopefully help him achieve his goals. To our benefit as well.

18. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Can I remind you of Brian McBride's statistics at 22? :D

Anyway, Yuri agreed that he needs to take a step or 2 up to be in consideration. Having said- look at our 3rd, 4th and 5th options at forward currently. It is entirely possible that Yuri could be in the mix in a couple years.

19. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look like he prefers USA, I will take that, hopefully he gets cap with US first, before he gets better in Europe and Arminia trys to cap him.

20. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all surprised that Yura picked the USMNT, considering that Armenia is a football backwater. They currently have one point from six matches in their WC qualifying group, and have never qualified for a Euro or WC (and won't for the rest of Yura's career).

21. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and yet despite Taylor Tightshirt Twellman's high scoring rep sheet with the Revs, he failed on the national level.....

Tightshirts- 176 games played, 101 goals scored

you must take in his abilities and what he brings to the team.... his talents with the ball at his feet is very promising..... goal production isnt the only thing to judge a forward (though it is impt)

22. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is big, strong and fast, which is not a combination we have a lot of. The times I have seen him play he is always a handful for the backline and he can only get better. Hopefully, in the next few years when he has citizenship he can be brought into some camps.

23. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 22 which is good, and hopefully the move to randers will make him a better player but, right now i don't think he is good enough for the NT.

Then again i don't think arnaud is also, but i guess we could always use depth.

Good luck yura.

24. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our forward pool lacks sufficient depth.... i agree he's currently not ready, hopefully some play with the randers will do him good.... hopefully better then Nguyen at least....

25. Iwazrobbed

Iwazrobbed New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I have to say, I think Yura could potentially be a under the radar player for the U.S. He has a lot of raw skill, and a good athletic build. IMO, he'll do very well in Denmark. Considering the U.S. isn't deep in strikers, he'll be a very good addition.