Yura M to Randers (Yank abroad?) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by supercooper, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    How many goals is that for him in total for Randers?

12?

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, some of you guys sound so craven in this thread. He is not likely to play for the U.S due to it taking 3 years..get over it.

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Concha su madre! :p

4. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong thread. :p

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Damn this IE Internet tabs!

Gotta get a new computer! :p

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

But it wasn't that long ago he was a good-not-great striker in MLS. (I remember like it was just last year....)

Either the defenses are worse there, or there really is magical Euro dust that improves players (but only some, or else Adu and Altidore and...well, you get the point...would be tearing up the world by now) or he's in a system that really suits him or he's just in a hot streak.

Probably some combination of all 4, I would guess.

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the real issue is that the "magical Euro dust," as you guys call it, is on the banned substances list here in the states.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle and Gomez weren't in the national team picture 8 months ago either. That's why I said "right now."

If it is a hot streak, then its even longer than the one that got Buddle and Gomez into a World Cup.

9. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Movsisyan was a good (not great) striker in MLS at age 20-22, but he was clearly a great prospect in MLS. Along with skills that were obvious from observing his play, his goals/min were very good for a player of his age. It's not at all surprising that entering his prime years nay have elevated his game to a new level.

There's no need to incorporate magical Euro dust into explanations for his success, just as there was no magical New Jersey dust needed to explain Clint Mathis tearing up the league in 2000. Good young players often turn into very good (less young) players.

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Considering that the danish league is especially known for developing good tactical skills and excellen young centre backs for export, like Agger, Hangeland, Simon Kjær, Winston Reid and so on, who get instant success in the top-4 leagues, then ther is nothing that imply MLS has better defenders... You also never see Danish team being trashed by top-4 league clubs in the Europa Cups.

I think your making the mistake of looking at Yuras goals/game stats, and forget that he was a young inexperienced talent most of the time he played in MLS... just like when ppl are looking at Nicklas Bendtner stats and forget that he is only 22...

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Ceres. Here are the facts.
    1. Yura was a young, inexperienced talent in October 2009. He occasionally scored and had a horrible goal to shot ratio.
    2. He switched leagues.
    3. He had no games between October 2009 and March 2010.
    4. He immediately became a top scorer in the new league.

The facts point to weaker defenses as the simplest, most reasonable explanation. I agree that the Danish League has developed some great talent at center back over the years, but that does not support a point of view in opposition to the the known facts relevant to Yura's success in Denmark.

12. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    The BS pet theory currently is that MLS is a great athletic league, but weak on tactics and skills; Denmark is a very tactical league, but has relatively weaker athletes. Plus, Movsisyan didn't come out of a very tactical US setting (Jr. College, right?).

Applying the pet theories to Yura, he may have learned to be strong and physical in MLS, but wasn't always strong against fast and strong MLS defenses. But this served him well against tactical but slower/weaker defenses in Denmark. Clips of a few of his goals suggested he was just stronger than some defenders he was going up against, and could "bull" the ball in the goal.

Adding some tactical, technical knowledege at Randers, even at a rudimentary level, allowed him to quickly up his game. Contrast to someone like Parkhurst, who was a tactical genius in MLS, but relatively small for a center defender. When he went to Denmark, he wasn't better tactically/technically than similarly-situated players, and not strong or fast enough to out-compete superior techinical defenders. Hence the bench.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Parkhurst has been playing lately, albeit poorly.

And the above is basically my take on Yura - a very good athlete, who wasted a lot of chances in MLS but who seems to have gotten a little better touch with Randers (nine months may not be a lot of time but one could learn a lot if he is taught properly .. consider the notion that even Altidore learned a lot in his nine months at Hull, where teaching may not have been all that and a bag of soggy chips) and a little better in reading the game.

He'll still miss some but not as many as before and he will keep on getting into scoring positions and that almost automatically turns him into a decent scorer.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was always good at this, but it looks like he improved his finishing.

15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, as I submit, is the beneficiary of weaker challenges and marking than he faced in MLS.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Let's not overrate the MLS defenders either since someone like Alvaro Saborio can average a goal every two games against them.

17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, the "simplest" explanation. Denmark is a better league dude. You'd have to be a homer to think otherwise.

Yura just stepped up his game with Randers. Now, Denmark is a slower league so he is able to exploit his athleticism more than he could in MLS, but that doesn't make the defenses in Denmark worse. Different players fit different leagues better than others. Yura is just better for Denmark.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made no statement as to which league is better. I'm making the very defensible point that the logic I've laid out is the most likely explanation. If you say that the Danish league defenders are slower, then I pat you on the back for taking my simple explanation and adding a more complex, yet concrete layer to it. Thus, if they are slower and he can exploit them, then they are not as good as the MLS defenses. See how it works?

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sure, if you think that speed is the only variable among the defenders.

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, we're done here. He's a borderline YA at best and the thread has gone to places YA threads ought not go.